Woman in persistive vegetative state unexpectedly delivers baby

I'm guessing that the original report of what age she was at the time of her accident probably was from someone who wasn't actually sure and had forgotten her age, because the first quote I read showed it as "about 14 years ago." Particularly if it's an older person telling the story, they can collapse time. Her situation sounds fairly typical of brain damage caused by drowning. https://blog.chocchildrens.org/oxygen-deprivation-near-drowning-can-lead-brain-damage/ CNN says that the court order requires a physical once per year, and that the most recent one was done at a time that would have been a couple of weeks after she was assaulted.

Attorneys have said that she is a member of the San Carlos Apache tribe. If her family live on the San Carlos reservation, that means that the drive to visit would be somewhere between 2-4 hours each way, depending on where the nursing home is located in the Phoenix area, and where the family lives on the reservation, because it is a large one, 1.8M acres, with only one major road running through it. CNN's article said that her mother normally visited 2X per month.

There are a fair number of Native Americans in Arizona who have no means of transportation, so it can be very challenging if you live in a rural area with limited services, no public transportation, and no car available. There might have been legitimate reason why her family did not visit very often.

OMG, this world is so freakin sick. I hope this guy gets caught and I hope all employees submit their DNA. If you don't with this kind of thing that happened at your job, that just makes you an ableep or guilty. I would do whatever it took.

You think that insurance companies are going to go to that level of effort and expense? Without absolute knowledge of the origin of a DNA sample, how is it they would know whose DNA profile they're reviewing? How is it that the law would allow them to do anything with that information that they cannot establish a factual basis for? Setting aside the fact that there does not currently exist enough lab capacity to undertake such a massive fishing expedition in the first place.
No, of course not, I was responding to a poster who is very concerned that his DNA would fall into his insurance company's hands via a similar scenario with DNA testing during a crime investigation like at the facility. Just pointing out how your DNA is in places you might not expect.

Geez it says she's been in there since she was 3 and she's 29 now:sad1:
I read that too. So freaking sad for her family to have her in a vegetative state for 26 years and to know that she will never recover. I hope that her parents will be able to draw comfort that she will live on through her baby even though it was conceived under terrible circumstances.

A member of the Apache Tribe, the woman suffered a near drowning ten years ago and has been comatose ever since.
I read this in the People article too, the woman’s relatives are “outraged, traumatized and in shock by the abuse and neglect of their daughter at Hacienda Healthcare”.
Geez it says she's been in there since she was 3 and she's 29 now:sad1:

Though the story is tragic, I can't help but think that the real abuse the daughter is suffering from is 26 years of being kept alive as a living corpse by her family.

Though the story is tragic, I can't help but think that the real abuse the daughter is suffering from is 26 years of being kept alive as a living corpse by her family.
There we have no details to make that assumption. You can’t simply pull the plug in all cases. Press has been saying “vegative state” that can mean many things or degrees.

She was apparently only 112 lbs, which is pretty small.

In today’s world that is small. But she is probably at her weight she should be. In the USA we think 112 pounds as someone being underweight. But check the charts. We don’t know how tall this lady is thou.

I just checked 112 pounds is a healthy weight of a women 4 feet 9 to five feet five inches tall. So if she is five feet six inches tall she is under weight.

Last edited:
In today’s world that is small. But she is probably at her weight she should be. In the USA we think 112 pounds as someone being underweight. But check the charts. We don’t know how tall this lady is thou.

I just checked 112 pounds is a healthy weight of a women 4 feet 9 to five feet five inches tall. So if she is five feet six inches tall she is under weight.
The comment wasn't about whether she was oversize or undersize for her height. It was about whether staff would have been able to notice a growing abdomen with pregnancy. Turns out the baby was a preemie though, so very small and perhaps not as noticeable as one might expect.

There was an article in a Phoenix newspaper I read over the weekend which discussed how apparently, the woman had a previous bowel obstruction which was corrected. And apparently sometimes after it's fixed, there can be an issue that can occur in the months afterwards which make it look like a growth in the abdomen.

I wouldn't give it out freely or want it taken without my consent if it weren't for such extreme instances like this, but if you don't give your DNA freely in this case and you work there, or complain bc you had to, you are either guilty or a total ahobleep. I mean how selfish can you be worrying about all this other stuff that may happen with your DNA, when such a horrific crime has happened, so selfish, stupid and paranoid.

Last edited:
I'm happy to know they have apparently found the monster that abused her.

Notably it seems there is some evidence to suggest valid reasons she's in a care facility all these years, rather than euthanized as some with no knowledge of the actual circumstances suggested.
If possible, it makes the crime even more heinous b/c she was definitely aware that this was being done to her. And, had to deal with the pain of childbirth with no meds.

This makes me want to vomit.

I hope he receives the maximum penalty. His actions have caused so much damage in so many ways.

Kudos to the police for figuring this out relatively quickly.

Thank Goodness this monster rapist has been caught. Hope that the family will be justly compensated for their extreme pain and suffereing if negligence is proved by 3rd parties involved. This is SiCK SiCK >:(and so very sad for this family and woman!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!