Woman Arrested for Dragging Child in Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happyinwonerland

DIS Veteran
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.or...-child-harness-disney-20181108-story,amp.html

The article:

"A woman was arrested Tuesday after she reportedly dragged a child by a harness out of Walt Disney World’s Epcot theme park and became combative with Orange County deputies, according to a report by Click Orlando WKMG.

Sara Villar, 34, faces charges of child abuse and criminal mischief, according to the report.

Villar was reported to authorities after witnesses claimed she was yelling and dragging a child by a harness, which caused the child to fall and hit his or her head on the bathroom floor, the report stated.

When deputies confronted Villar, she refused to give her name, WKMG reported.

Villar became angry and turned a stroller aggressively, which caused a second child under her care to fall, the report said.

Authorities restrained Villar by a patrol car after she refused to calm down, where she began to hit her head on the hood and dent it, WKMG reported."

How sad for this child. They are at what should be a child's paradise and yet they are subjected to abuse by a poor excuse for a parent. My heart is broken to think about it.

We were at FW in July and a women came into the lobby with her son on a harness. She pulled him toward her direction and he fell and hit his head on the ground. The boy stayed on the ground crying, and the mother just looked down at him. It was distressing to see. A manager was standing nearby and rushed toward him, and the mother barked at her, “leave him alone, don’t touch him!”

:sad2:

I hope the woman faces the maximum penalty for such a heinous crime. No child should ever have to go through this, especially in Disney. Disney is supposed to be every childs' dream, and they should never have to face such abuse in what is supposed to be such a happy environment, but sadly, there are still parents who act like delinquent animals, like that Italian doctor who kicked his son in the face back in 2012, which also happened in Epcot.

I agree OP that it's a terrible situation; which is funny because sometimes when I see parents going off on small differences all I can think of are those children that grow up in homes like that one.

The thing I really don't get is how the hell did a kid fall out of a stroller? Was the child not strapped in? Good god, one on a leash and falling down and the other unsecured? Our stroller and the ones we've rented on vacations seem to have the same number of straps as the car seats.

Unfortunately I'm not convinced that type of thing is all that uncommon with the harnesses.

I agree OP that it's a terrible situation; which is funny because sometimes when I see parents going off on small differences all I can think of are those children that grow up in homes like that one.

I have seen some pretty upsetting parent/child interactions in my visits to Disney. It always makes me so sad and scared for the children and all I can think if this is the way they are treated in public, then their home lives must be even darker.

This absolutely breaks my heart. Poor little ones!

When we were in Disney in May, we saw a woman open palm slap her daughter across the face. The daughter had been asking something to the effect of - can we please go back to the hotel room, I'm tired. The mother went on an absolute TIRADE about being thankful to even be in Disney World and stop whining about being tired, and proceeded to wallop her poor child. My husband spoke up and I got a cast member. We left once the CM showed up, so no idea the outcome.... but goodness. My son was so upset about it. We ended up taking him over to the Plaza for an ice cream and sat down to explain about abuse and why it's not okay. It turned into a nice teaching moment for him, but I still worry over that poor little baby.

If a parent is willing to act this way in public, just imagine how horrible they are at home!?

When we were in Disney in May, we saw a woman open palm slap her daughter across the face. The daughter had been asking something to the effect of - can we please go back to the hotel room, I'm tired. The mother went on an absolute TIRADE about being thankful to even be in Disney World and stop whining about being tired, and proceeded to wallop her poor child. My husband spoke up and I got a cast member. We left once the CM showed up, so no idea the outcome.... but goodness. My son was so upset about it. We ended up taking him over to the Plaza for an ice cream and sat down to explain about abuse and why it's not okay. It turned into a nice teaching moment for him, but I still worry over that poor little baby.

If a parent is willing to act this way in public, just imagine how horrible they are at home!?

That is horrible and so sad - I need an ice cream just reading about all of this. As someone who struggles with infertility, I just want to hold and snuggle these poor babies

Those types of parents should never breed at all.

It's easy for you all to sit here and say how we have to protect kids, etc. It's easy to say "CPS is doing great work". It's easy to do that if you've never been subject to an investigation.

My daughter (8) pushed my son (6) down the stairs and broke his arm. At the hospital the doctor asked what happened. I told her that my daughter pushed my son down the stairs. She called CPS on me because I "blamed my daughter" and "an 8 year old is not responsible for their own actions".

It was months of hell. CPS can, and will, contact your employer, relatives, neighbors, child's school, etc. Their power is large and unwieldy and they will do ANYTHING to prove you are an unfit parent. I'm sitting in the interview and the CPS person is like "why did you blame your daughter for your son's injury" and I'm like "she pushed him down the stairs. What am I supposed to say when the doctor asks how he got the injury" and she's like 'you can't say your daughter pushed your son down the stairs. That is bad parenting." and I'm like "but that's what happened" and she's like "no, it's your fault because you LET your daughter push your son down the stairs".

CPS didn't care AT ALL about my son who had a broken arm. The entire focus of their "investigation" was my relationship with my daughter.

Spend 10 minutes on Google looking for "CPS out of control" and you will learn the truth.

Last edited:
It's easy for you all to sit here and say how we have to protect kids, etc. It's easy to say "CPS is doing great work". It's easy to do that if you've never been subject to an investigation.

My daughter (8) pushed my son (6) down the stairs and broke his arm. At the hospital the doctor asked what happened. I told her that my daughter pushed my son down the stairs. She called CPS on me because I "blamed my daughter" and "an 8 year old is not responsible for their own actions".

It was months of hell. CPS can, and will, contact your employer, relatives, neighbors, child's school, etc. Their power is large and unwieldy and they will do ANYTHING to prove you are an unfit parent. I'm sitting in the interview and the CPS person is like "why did you blame your daughter for your son's injury" and I'm like "she pushed him down the stairs. What am I supposed to say when the doctor asks how he got the injury" and she's like 'you can't say your daughter pushed your son down the stairs. That is bad parenting." and I'm like "but that's what happened" and she's like "no, it's your fault because you LET your daughter push your son down the stairs".

CPS didn't care AT ALL about my son who had a broken arm. The entire focus of their "investigation" was my relationship with my daughter.

Spend 10 minutes on Google looking for "CPS out of control" and you will learn the truth.

I know exactly where you're coming from. About 3 1/2 years ago now SD8 came home from a weekend visit with her mother with a black eye and said "mommy hit me." We took her to the ER to report it and get her checked out. The next day a social worker is in our living room talking to us and they called the mom who admitted she did it and they said SD was ok to go with her mother on a planned 3 week long trip to Colorado to visit her family. But a few days after SD got back we had a social worker in our house asking us all sorts of questions about SD and her mother and then they suddenly start asking about DD12 and how often she sees her biological father and where she spends her times and demanding to see her bedroom and visiting her at school to make sure she was ok. But when we told her SD only sees her mother every other weekend she said they would not bother sending anyone out to her house when SD was there because "no one would want to go out there on the weekend." But we got to enjoy 6 months of invasive home visits and interviews with both kids even though the incident didn't even occur at our house and the mother admitted to doing it.

People are very quick to say child protective services should be called on little to no evidence of actual abuse but they have NO idea of the sheer terror that results from those calls. Living in terror for 6 months that your child is going to be taken away because someone else slapped her own kid is not ok.

Now, that said, a woman dragging her kid by the leash at Disney World could very likely be legitimate abuse. But it is hard to tell from just a few lines in an article. All anyone sees is a brief snippet of time. They don't have any idea what went on in the time before the mom started dragging the child, what had been going on all week or what the child's behavior is normally like.

Should the mom have done it? No, probably not. But we have also all had our moments, on vacation and otherwise. I remember on one trip with took our 4 year old niece with us and she was whining every 5 minutes that she wanted to go to the pool. We had already been to the pool that day and were going to go again but every 5 minutes she was whining she wanted to go to the pool. If all we were going to do was go to a pool we could have stayed home. An hour or two into it my mom was just done and told her if she asked again she wouldn't go at all. No, she didn't slap her like the mom the story a PP posted, but she was close. But if she had, the person who saw it happen would have been like the PP and said how terrible it was. They wouldn't have seen the 2 hours of whining leading up to it. They wouldn't have known about the previous visit to the pool and the second visit planned for the afternoon. They wouldn't have seen the 3 tantrums that had occurred already in the day before we got to the park because she wasn't getting her way.

I struggle really hard in these situations to judge the parents. We just don't really know what is going on.

I've been investigated by CPS before. My 2 day old baby had jaundice at the time, which required light treatment. I wanted to rent the light box at home ($70/day), but the doctor wanted to do it in the hospital ($1000/day). (The doctor was just one of many at the clinic I visit, where they rotate doctors. I always thought she was the worst doctor I've ever met, but I didn't figure it would hurt anything. A friend of mine's doctor had her baby do it at home for the savings.) I said no hospital and rented the light box, and the next thing I knew, CPS showed up at my door. She asked, didn't the doctor tell you I'm coming? I said um, no? But come on in!
We sat down and I explained to her my reasoning, showed her webpages that explain how jaundice was treated, and explained my rented light box.
She asked me everything, even about my other kids too. I explained that my oldest was the most popular kid in school, my second had won the talent show for his piano, my third, who was at home, was tested as gifted in school. Eventually, she told me that there must have been a misunderstanding between me and the doctor and left, and never showed up again.
I found a different doctor for my baby and his jaundice cleared out in a few days. He was such a beautiful baby! Now he's a beautiful, sweet 2 year old who has been to Disney World 3 times.

I did put him on a harness at times at Disney World so that he doesn't run off and get lost and get killed. I also spanked him once in public at WDW, about 2 months ago. We were at the GF food court at the time. The pizza came, so we started eating, and, for no apparent reason, my DS2 pulled his shoe off, threw it at my DS12, missed him, and the shoe landed on the pizza! I burst out laughing, said OMG, jumped up, grabbed my DS2, and smacked him hard on the behind, telling him no throwing shoes. So he started screaming, and I popped him in the stroller and pushed him right out of there, with other people staring at us. I walked around outside and waited for my family to finish the pizza inside. DS2 soon stopped crying, and we continued our magical vacation at Disney! We had such a great time!

We also went to California Grill for the first time during the last trip. My DS2 sat there and ate like a gentleman during the entire hour long meal, never making a single noise or wrong move. The food was that good!

(The CPS lady left a card. My DS12 (then 10) found the card and kept it in his treasure box. Once in a while he would take it out and wave it at me.)

Parenting can be difficult in Disney World, and it's easy to watch on the side, catch the parent at the worst moment, and pass instant judgement. There's a lot of pressure to keeping the Disney trip "perfect" because it's so expensive, and in doing so makes things worse and increase stress and frustration. The kids nag about quitting at the middle of the day? No, not when you are paying $400 a day to be there!

I personally do not find dragging the kid on a harness such a horrible thing. Toddlers fall all the time, whether you drag them or not. The mother's mistake is in taking a frustrating kid to Disney World that she has a hard time handling. It's better to just pick him up and carry him if he doesn't feel like walking, and if she doesn't want to do that, don't take him out. That means no Disney World, but it beats the heck out of being arrested.

I remember this one woman recounts this story of her taking her autistic 10 year old to the grocery store. The son fell in love with the automatic door and refused to leave, so she had to pull him to the car, screaming. She did not yell or hit him or anything. Some stranger than walked up to her and said, "This is not his fault. This is YOUR fault."

There are definitely abusive parents out there. I myself come from an abusive family, so I understand where CPS is coming from. But in the United States, basically any form of discipline is considered abuse by some people, making parenting a "rock and a hard place" kind of job. If you don't discipline your child, he is unruly and it's your fault. If you do discipline your child, then you are abusive and it's your fault.

I know this one rich kid years ago. His parents totally spoiled him and never disciplined him at all. When he turned sixteen, his parents bought him a new sports car. He was driving down the highway at 100mph, hit some bump, and the car went flying. They later found bits of him and the car along a mile stretch of the highway. I think that the parents killed the kid, but they never got in trouble for it.

I've been investigated by CPS before. My 2 day old baby had jaundice at the time, which required light treatment. I wanted to rent the light box at home ($70/day), but the doctor wanted to do it in the hospital ($1000/day). (The doctor was just one of many at the clinic I visit, where they rotate doctors. I always thought she was the worst doctor I've ever met, but I didn't figure it would hurt anything. A friend of mine's doctor had her baby do it at home for the savings.) I said no hospital and rented the light box, and the next thing I knew, CPS showed up at my door. She asked, didn't the doctor tell you I'm coming? I said um, no? But come on in!
We sat down and I explained to her my reasoning, showed her webpages that explain how jaundice was treated, and explained my rented light box.
She asked me everything, even about my other kids too. I explained that my oldest was the most popular kid in school, my second had won the talent show for his piano, my third, who was at home, was tested as gifted in school. Eventually, she told me that there must have been a misunderstanding between me and the doctor and left, and never showed up again.
I found a different doctor for my baby and his jaundice cleared out in a few days. He was such a beautiful baby! Now he's a beautiful, sweet 2 year old who has been to Disney World 3 times.

I did put him on a harness at times at Disney World so that he doesn't run off and get lost and get killed. I also spanked him once in public at WDW, about 2 months ago. We were at the GF food court at the time. The pizza came, so we started eating, and, for no apparent reason, my DS2 pulled his shoe off, threw it at my DS12, missed him, and the shoe landed on the pizza! I burst out laughing, said OMG, jumped up, grabbed my DS2, and smacked him hard on the behind, telling him no throwing shoes. So he started screaming, and I popped him in the stroller and pushed him right out of there, with other people staring at us. I walked around outside and waited for my family to finish the pizza inside. DS2 soon stopped crying, and we continued our magical vacation at Disney! We had such a great time!

We also went to California Grill for the first time during the last trip. My DS2 sat there and ate like a gentleman during the entire hour long meal, never making a single noise or wrong move. The food was that good!

(The CPS lady left a card. My DS12 (then 10) found the card and kept it in his treasure box. Once in a while he would take it out and wave it at me.)

Parenting can be difficult in Disney World, and it's easy to watch on the side, catch the parent at the worst moment, and pass instant judgement. There's a lot of pressure to keeping the Disney trip "perfect" because it's so expensive, and in doing so makes things worse and increase stress and frustration. The kids nag about quitting at the middle of the day? No, not when you are paying $400 a day to be there!

I personally do not find dragging the kid on a harness such a horrible thing. Toddlers fall all the time, whether you drag them or not. The mother's mistake is in taking a frustrating kid to Disney World that she has a hard time handling. It's better to just pick him up and carry him if he doesn't feel like walking, and if she doesn't want to do that, don't take him out. That means no Disney World, but it beats the heck out of being arrested.

I remember this one woman recounts this story of her taking her autistic 10 year old to the grocery store. The son fell in love with the automatic door and refused to leave, so she had to pull him to the car, screaming. She did not yell or hit him or anything. Some stranger than walked up to her and said, "This is not his fault. This is YOUR fault."

There are definitely abusive parents out there. I myself come from an abusive family, so I understand where CPS is coming from. But in the United States, basically any form of discipline is considered abuse by some people, making parenting a "rock and a hard place" kind of job. If you don't discipline your child, he is unruly and it's your fault. If you do discipline your child, then you are abusive and it's your fault.

I know this one rich kid years ago. His parents totally spoiled him and never disciplined him at all. When he turned sixteen, his parents bought him a new sports car. He was driving down the highway at 100mph, hit some bump, and the car went flying. They later found bits of him and the car along a mile stretch of the highway. I think that the parents killed the kid, but they never got in trouble for it.

Why use a harness when you can use a stroller?

Since CPS is being discussed, I'll share a positive story. My DH was visited by them once months after HE was the victim of dv by his ex. They came into his nice new home, looked around for a short bit, asked a few cursory questions and said they would never be back and were sorry to have bothered the family during dinner. They did their job, but they didn't harass him and were very professional. However, it's insane that just anyone can allege abuse and be investigated to a greater or lesser degree.

my granddaughter started unhooking herself and trying to climb out of the jogging stroller at 15 months. Thankfully they have caught her every time, but one of these times she is going to get hurt. I used a harness on her mother for the very same reason. With the harness she was right beside me without having to worry about her climbing out of the stroller or dislocating her shoulder when she decided she HAD to see something and pulled away. It saved her life. I had someone at a mall berate me about the harness while her child the same age ran out into traffic. Thankfully the car was able to stop in time, but my child was always safe.

I don't understand why parents find it necessary to take young children and babies to Disney. I guess we take them because we want to share our excitement or because we wanted to go when we were young but our parents didn't take us. Our adult children's memories of Disney vacations starts when they were 8 years of age, not their earlier vacations. We witnessed an overheated tired melt down of a very small child in a stroller. The Mother had finally had enough and yelled, "stop crying, you are in the happiest place in the world, damn it".

:earsboy: Bill

I don't understand why parents find it necessary to take young children and babies to Disney. I guess we take them because we want to share our excitement or because we wanted to go when we were young but our parents didn't take us. Our adult children's memories of Disney vacations starts when they were 8 years of age, not their earlier vacations. We witnessed an overheated tired melt down of a very small child in a stroller. The Mother had finally had enough and yelled, "stop crying, you are in the happiest place in the world, damn it".

We took the kids twice this year. They had a blast, and minus my terrible food poisoning, we did too. We wanted to vacation as a family, so we went to WDW. We had 0 meltdowns at the parks, but we didn't press the kids and did lots of late nights to keep the kids out of the sun and heat as much as possible and let them sleep in as late as they wanted. We were also using World Showcase as a way to really get the kids interested in international travel which we're doing next year with them. Some people would say they don't understand why you'd take the kids on such long trips, but we're stoked about it.

This (the OP, not the comments I quoted) makes me so fricking mad. All the people out there that love children, want them with all their heart, and can provide such wonderful homes, and yet can't have them. Then... these idiots.

Because not all children are content to stay strapped in a stroller, and yet aren't capable of just being let loose, either. I have a child with ASD who despised any type of stroller/car seat restraint etc... and screamed bloody murder every time she was put into one. But, she would do just fine with a harness, because she had some freedom and was physically able to move around. At the same time, it gave us the security of knowing she wasn't going to bolt/run, as she was prone to doing. She loved her harness.

Do you propose families just not take any vacations at all until the child is old enough by your standards to remember it? I have memories from when I was 3-4 years old. My little cousin came with us to Disney when she was 4.5 - and remembers it even now at 33.

Meltdowns will happen no matter the age, when the parents aren't respecting their children's needs. An 8 year old can have a meltdown just as easily as a 2 year old at Disney (or anywhere else for that matter) when they are over tired.

The issue you're describing has nothing to do with the child being too young for Disney, and everything to do with the parent not being responsible in the expectations they're placing on the child.

my granddaughter started unhooking herself and trying to climb out of the jogging stroller at 15 months. Thankfully they have caught her every time, but one of these times she is going to get hurt. I used a harness on her mother for the very same reason. With the harness she was right beside me without having to worry about her climbing out of the stroller or dislocating her shoulder when she decided she HAD to see something and pulled away. It saved her life. I had someone at a mall berate me about the harness while her child the same age ran out into traffic. Thankfully the car was able to stop in time, but my child was always safe.

Thank you for explaining why it was useful for your family!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter