WLV or WL cabins?

cookie2001

Mouseketeer
Hi Everyone,

We are planning a trip for Dec 18th - 26th. I really want this to be a relaxing and fun trip. Last time we stayed at the BCV for a few nights and really enjoyed the fact that it seemed to be quieter and more laid back than the main resort properties. Since everyone recommends the WL for Christmas I am looking into that area. The Villas seem nice because they have a queen size bed and the kitchenette. The cabins look nice because of the full kitchen and porch. Can anyone provide me with pros and cons between these two places? Also would you consider transportation to be a problem?

Thanks!!! :wave: :earsgirl:

How many people and what ages?

The cabins are pretty isolated and transportation almost always involves an internal bus and then another bus or a boat to the park. That's the main issue. And that the pools are plain.

I loved my stay in the cabins, but they are not really in the same group with the DVC villas. The cabin is essentially a small mobile home decorated to look like a cabin. Again, I loved it, and especially enjoyed that it was free standing so I didn't have to worry about noise, either my children or someone elses'. They are not fancy, but quite comfortable. The largest bed is a double in the cabin, and the bedroom contains the most amount of bedding, so you won't really have a separate bedroom for yourselves.(We took the murphy bed in the living room and put all 3 children in the bedroom.) We loved the daily maid service who did do dishes! But, it is just not as upscale as the DVC accomodations, if that is what you are looking for.

Your question may be moot at this point. WLV is the smallest DVC locale, it is completely sold out and it is VERY popular at Christmas. That combo may make it very unlikely that anything is available unless there has been a recent cancellation.

Thank you! That helps alot. I would like the cabin but my husband is more of an upscale kind of guy. I actually did call about a studio at WLV before I made this post for the same reason mikesmom said. Why worry about something that might not be available. Well there was a studio available and I went ahead and reserved it. The lady said that there are different ones available for cash and for DVC. But I'm not sure if that is true. I'm hoping that there will be some kind of discount on this come August. I couldn't decide if it would be better to rent points or to pay cash. Because the points are so high over Christmas weekend. Anyone have an opinion on that?

Thanks again.:earsgirl:

Originally posted by cookie2001
The lady said that there are different ones available for cash and for DVC. But I'm not sure if that is true. I'm hoping that there will be some kind of discount on this come August. I couldn't decide if it would be better to rent points or to pay cash.
It is true :) That's why you were able to book.

And I believe that you are usually better off paying cash during holiday times, rather than renting points. It is very possible that there will be a discount for your dates. I know in 2002 there were discounts available for check-ins in your time frame. But I don't know if that included the villas.

Reserving a studio with cash now gives you the most flexibility. If a great deal comes up you can take advantage of it. If there isn't a discount for the VWL, maybe there will be for another resort and you can switch.

You will not be able to convert the cash reservation to a points reservation. There probably will not be a discount for VWL for Christmas week. Getting a points reservation will be extremely difficult at this time. So, either stay with your studio reservation or go with something else that is cheaper.

Ask on the resorts board if people were able to get discounts for any of the DVC resorts for the week before Christmas in 2003.

You'll enjoy the studio!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter