WL vs. AKL (standard room)?

rachellm

Mouseketeer
I was planning to try CSR for our next trip in November 2013, but now I'm considering making the jump to Deluxe. The cheaper deluxe options though :)

What are your thoughts on Wilderness Lodge vs. AKL Standard Room?

There will be 5 of us (DH and I, DD5, DD3 and DS1.) While a Savannah room sounds awesome, I don't want to pay the extra. Is it still worth staying there if you're in a regular room? The resort looks beautiful and I figure the kids would like the viewing areas. I like the zero depth pool - though who knows if we'll use it in November.

But we're farther from MK.

WL it would be nice to take the boat. I assume I'd still need to fold up the stroller, correct?

Thanks for any input!

Both resorts are great options but I do LOVE Animal Kingdom. Even if you aren't in a savannah view room there are plenty of vantage points to view the wildlife. The last trip that my sister-in-law was there for, she was technically in a standard view room but she did have a partial view of the savannah area.

Lastly having the two different pool areas at Animal Kingdom (Jambo House pool and Kidani pool/splash pad) is also nice.

I tend to choose WL over AKL, due to it's proximity to MK. I don't know how 5 people would fit in a standard room in either location, as I tend to just go with one or two other people tops.

AKL is awesome. We stayed in a standard room and got upgraded to a savannah view. When we booked I did not know all about the different resorts. If I did I would have stayed at WL because of the boat to MK over animals at a resort. The buses are a "joy" with a stroller and if I could avoid them at all cost I will.

I tend to choose WL over AKL, due to it's proximity to MK. I don't know how 5 people would fit in a standard room in either location, as I tend to just go with one or two other people tops.[/QUOTE

There is actually 4 +1 under 3 so it will work either place. It will be a personal preference which place to stay. You will hear good arguments both ways.

WL has the good proximity to MK, but you still have to ride the buses to all the other parks from WL. I would say AKL! The Mara at AKL is one of the best CS restaurants on property IMO. Then add Boma to that and you are set for meals on a day you want to hang around the resort. The pool is huge and my kids loved the slide. There are a lot of activities around the resort for children (and adults :)) of your age group: animal viewing (can even use night vision goggles), storytellers, I believe there were people playing african drums. We had no issues with the buses, our kids actually enjoyed riding them! We like that AKL is a little farther out. It seems to give the resort a very peaceful air about it!

Big fans of WL due to it close proximity to the MK.... Been to AKL and didn't like the location, food and overall theme.... Bus traveling too much and wide spread resort...

WL is very compact and being on the lakes with the 3 other resorts plus FW gives guests lots of choices for food and entertainment ....

I prefer AKL over WL for a variety of reasons - transportation being one of them! Yes, you can take a boat to MK from WL and you do not have to fold your stroller, however, if you are going to any other park, the bus transportation is terrible! I don't know if they do this all of the time, but we were there in late August 2011 and headed over to DHS from WL. I thought we were almost there when we stopped at Ft. Wilderness . . . it took FOREVER!

AKL is fabulous and, no, you do not have to book savannah to enjoy the resort - there are animal viewing areas everywhere!

I vote AKL over WL!!

WL vs AKL.
Been to both, love both, you will be happy with either.
Food at Boma was a treat.
Whispering Canyon at WL... your kids will get a hoot out of it (remember to ask for Ketchup, even if you don't really need it).:rotfl2:

If you plan on spending a lot of your time at MK, I might lean towards WL.

Have a fantastic time.

I was planning to try CSR for our next trip in November 2013, but now I'm considering making the jump to Deluxe. The cheaper deluxe options though :)

What are your thoughts on Wilderness Lodge vs. AKL Standard Room?

There will be 5 of us (DH and I, DD5, DD3 and DS1.) While a Savannah room sounds awesome, I don't want to pay the extra. Is it still worth staying there if you're in a regular room? The resort looks beautiful and I figure the kids would like the viewing areas. I like the zero depth pool - though who knows if we'll use it in November.

But we're farther from MK.

WL it would be nice to take the boat. I assume I'd still need to fold up the stroller, correct?

Thanks for any input!

We stayed at WL and it was really nice being able to take the boat to the Magic Kingdom, and it's pretty centrally located to everything else. The resort was gorgeous and the staff very friendly. We stayed in a room with bunkbeds.

We've stayed at both and both are great that I don't think you can go wrong with either one. WL is nice as it's close to MK and you have the boat for alternate transportation, although the buses at AKL weren't bad at all for us. We've stayed in a pool view and savanna view at AKL and while the savanna view was nice, we liked our pool view just as much. With that said, I think a standard view would fine as there are animal viewing areas around the resort. Good luck deciding, but I don't think either one is a bad choice.

We have never stayed at WL - the theming holds absolutely no appeal to me.
We love AKL - stayed there twice and loved it. Both times we stayed in a Pool View room. - (recently had a family meeting concerning our next trip - POLY was on deck...voted down - back to AKL we go.:rotfl:)

disclaimer - we always rent a car :drive:- so bus transportation isn't something we can comment on.

Stayed at both several times. And both are great resorts. But with your kids ages, and given that you are booking standard view, I'd go with WL.
The boat to MK is a nice way to get there. And they also have a resort boat that loops around WL, CR, & FW. The kids may enjoy a trip over to FW to see the barn area. They also have Mickeys backyard BBQ that sounds fun.
And also watching the electric water parade.

I found the bus service good at either resort.

The food court IMO is a bit better at AKL, but not a huge deal.

Stayed at both as well. Either way it will be a full house with 5 in a standard room, but no different than the comparable mod (and a few square feet bigger) I have to say that as a resort I prefer AKL but the location of WL is better. The boat to MK is very nice (and you do have to fold the stroller) - I think the pool at AKL is better, but the water slide at WL is marginally superior... I do prefer AK's food though (definitely a better QS, IMHO) but WL has some great options too. If you prefer less exotic food WL might be a better call. Together they hold perhaps my two favorite Signature restaurants on property (next to Cali Grill, of course!) Either way you will have a great vacation!

Having stayed at both in standard rooms I say WL for proximity to the MK and everything else. And also the feel of the resort is more relaxed to me. I prefer the WL CS and general layout to AKL as well.

Also LOVED the water parade and the geyser. For some reason I just felt more relaxed at WL....

I too have stayed at both, and in standard rooms at both, and I'd honestly go with whichever one is cheaper. That way, you can use the money you save to get a rental car (LOL, just kidding- sort of)!!
Seriously though, if you do have a car, it really makes it so much easier, at least in our family's opinion. The first time we stayed on site was at WL and we had no car and we were not happy campers about it. Now it's just an expense that we factor into our total vacation costs. Enough about my "rent a car, skip the bus" rant.

I love the boat at WL, as you can see from my tag. It's the only WL transportation I'll take. Our only real complaint about the times we've stayed at AKL is that it's so far away from everything -except AK. You can see plenty of animals all over the resort's viewing spots without having to get a savanna view. Between the lodge and the villas, we've stayed there about 4 times, and we've always had non-savanna rooms and we have not been disappointed by the animals. I also like the Mara food selections better than Roaring Forks. I do however, really like the all-you-can-drink milkshakes at Whispering Canyon ;)

We have not stayed at AKL, but are in agreement that when/if we do, it won't be without the savannah view. For us, that would be a must do for staying there.

We LOVED WL, and I don't really think the view matters much there. It is such a beautiful, wonderful resort and the transportation options are great!

WL and AKL are two of my favorites. Can't go wrong with either. I would probably pick WL because of the proximity to MK. Some of the boats you can just wheel the stroller on, some (smaller ones), they ask for you to collapse. Depends on how big the boat and how busy it is.

I have always done savannah view, so would feel like I was missing something if I booked standard room. Now, since you haven't stayed savannah view, I'm guessing that you would be perfectly happy with standard view at AKL.

Oh...small bonus, but you can view the water parade at night at WL. I prefer the big pool at WL, just because of the wrap around feel of the resort. That being said, the Kidani pool (kind of a hike from Jambo) rocks for the younger set. In November, the pool is definitely in play.

Personally, I feel WL is the better of the 2 simply because of it's proximity to MK. AKL is a 15 minute ride which can seem like enternity if standing on a packed bus after a long day in the park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter