WL or GF for Christmas?

vhoffman

DIS Veteran
We're going to WDW the second week of Dec. for 4 nights, mainly to take in the MVMCP and the holiday atmosphere. We are dh and myself, plus two 7 year old twins--a boy and girl. I'm trying to decide between the GF and WL. I understand they're both decorated to the max for Christmas. I can get a AAA rate at the WL for $186 per night, woods view. The AAA rate at the GF, garden view, is $285 per night. So that's $455 more total to stay at the GF. I can't seem to make up my mind between the two. I understand both are great resorts. The GF has the advantage of being on the monorail. However, I've read the GF is not as kid-friendly as the WL. The pool at WL is not very big, however, it might be too cold to swim anyways. Although I've never stayed at the GF, we've walked through it several times, and it seems a little on the formal side for two small children. But then again, children are everywhere at Disney. Well, I guess it boils down to a matter of opinion and taste. Would like to hear opinions from those of you who have been there. Thanks!

We have stayed at WL (during the summer), and have not stayed at GF, but have checked out the Christmas decorations there. I would vote for WL, because it is such a beautiful and unique resort. It is very kid friendly. Although we have not stayed at GF, I get a "stuffier" feeling there- WL is more laid back. You could always take a tour of the resorts to view the Christmas decorations.

Happy Planning!

Ann:earsgirl:

We'll be there December 9-12th and am trying to decide between WL and the poly. I will have my 13 yo DD and my 2 yo DS (he'll be 2 by then at least) so we are really liking stroller access on the monorail. However, I really would like the theming of WL at Christmas.

AAAAAAGHHHH, I just can't decide!!

For the price, I'd choose WL. IMHO I would think WL would feel more like Christmas with the theme of the resort and the big fireplace and all. Plus there's a chance with woods view that you get a view of MK. What do you see with a garden view at GF?

I'm just leaning towards the GF because of the monorail access. We plan to spend most of our time at MK and Epcot, however, we do want to go to MGM to see the Osborne lights. So we would end up taking the bus at either resort. I just want quick access to MK and Epcot for the MVMCP and Candlelight Processional. Oh, well, I suppose we could take a taxi from WL. Anyone know how expensive they are and how reliable? We could do a lot with $455--the difference between GF and WL. The few times I've just wandered around GF I noticed people all dressed up--I mean, tuxedos, evening gowns, maybe they were going to Victoria & Alberts? I'm more the WalMart look myself. After all, I wouldn't want to go to GF and make those people feel uncomfortable when they realize they're overdressed (there's nothing wrong with me--they're out of place!). Also, the pictures I've seen of the GF rooms look like something out of 'The Shining'. Ok, I've made up my mind--WL here we come! Perhaps I can get a better rate when AP rates come out.

For our Dec 2002 visit, we were able to get the Grand Floridian for $199/night and we had never stayed there before and I love how they are decorated for Christmas - so we booked it!!! We had a great time at the GF!! I had two teens, a 6 yr old, plus DH; and we all really enjoyed our stay! We did not feel it was stuffy at all - and felt right at home with my youngest DD! We loved having such easy access to the parks via the monorail!!! The Christmas tree at the GF is breathtaking!!!

We've gone three times the week AFTER Thanksgiving, and twice it was too cold to swim (although there were some kids in the pool)! The other time, it was rather cool - and although my DD did splash around in the kids pool, she really didn't go swimming!

We did visit the Wilderness Lodge and it is also very nicely decorated for Christmas! (My DH has always wanted to stay there, but we haven't made it yet!)

Although I LOVED my stay at the GF; if I had to choose between the GF and Wilderness Lodge with that much of a price difference, I would choose the Wilderness Lodge! It is so pretty!!!

Good luck!!!

I love the Wilderness Lodge around Christmas time. The resort and surrounding area with the tall pines just says Christmas to me. To me, there's no better place to live than Florida; born, raised, and have always lived here. However, I do wish it would get real cold and maybe even snow some here right around Christmas. The Wilderness Lodge area just makes me feel like I really am in the Pacific Northwest and have a true change of scenery at Christmas time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter