WL or CSR in December? Your opinions please..

diz74

Earning My Ears
Hello! I've been a lurker on these boards for quite awhile and have gotten so much helpful information when planning my Disney vacation!

My DH and I are thinking about taking a trip to Disney at Christmas. We were thinking of staying at CSR for 6 or 7 nights, or WL for 4 or 5 nights (as WL is a bit pricier). We have stayed at WL before and LOVED it, probably our favorite resort. We have never stayed at CSR but we have stayed at other moderates (both of the Port Orleans) and have really liked those too!

This would be our first Christmas trip to Disney and I am really looking forward to seeing all of the decorations as I know that Disney goes all out.

So what is your opinion - would you do a longer trip at CSR or a shorter trip at WL? I feel super lucky and excited to go either way, but was interested in getting some opinions from all of you Disney experts!

Thanks in advance!

There are some that really love CSR so I'm sure they will jump in with their opinions. We, however, are the voice of dissent. We've stayed there three times now, the last one being the last resort of choice but all others were booked.

The first time we stayed, we thought it was a pretty place, but just too big for our tastes. Plus, the convention feel was prevalent everywhere you went. Seeing guests in business attire coming and going took away from the "Disney feel" in our opinion.

The second time, we decided to give it another chance. We're not hugely picky people so we figured we might have just been hyper opinionated. Nope. Still didn't like it at all. Just too much of a convention feel to it and less a Disney one. I kept getting "corporate flashbacks!"

BUT, the main pool is nice albeit constantly packed and the quiet pools are indeed very quiet. We do look Maya Grill quite a bit. We're not fans of the "food court" type joint. Can't remember the name. We thought the food was what a typical food court would offer, which is not a bad thing, but we hated the system they implemented.

You can't really compare the two since one is a deluxe and one is a mod but if you choose to go with a mod resort, CSR is a great choice. CSR does offer some deluxe amenities like a spa, salon, fitness center and full menu room service. It has a great pool and slide and the best (non shared) transportation. Check out my CSR website below for pics and info.

Here are some CSR x-mas pics!!

dfkhex.jpg

2exlax0.jpg

44vxd9w.jpg

dfkk7l.jpg

dfkkd0.jpg

dqspvm.jpg

dqsolu.jpg

dqsokp.jpg

34o6mxf.jpg

We haven't stayed at CSR, so I can't compare. However, we have been at WL in December and loved it. The ambience is wonderful, and the decorations are beautiful. WL is nice and compact - you don't have a huge resort to navigate to get anywhere. Everything is convenient. Christmas at the lodge is just perfect - the spirit was everywhere. Not to knock CSR, but to me, WL is a natural fit with traditional Christmas decor (moreso than a more tropical or mediterranean feeling). WL is just a short boat ride from MK too...so handy!

Taking the resort choice out of the equation -- who wouldn't want to stay at WDW longer, especially at Christmas? That said let we put the resort choice back in and give you my HO. We've stayed at both for Christmas and loved both trips. Both resorts are gorgeously decorated for the holidays and everywhere you go you get that Holiday Spirit. WL was great for Christmas Eve as we were able to eat there and visit with Santa and all of the characters in their holiday attire without leaving the resort. CSR also has Santa and the characters but not as many, however, they also didn't have the really long lines to see the Characters (which may or may not matter to you as I don't remember if you have kids going and I'm too lazy to go back). From a transportation point of view there is really little difference. Both require busses to get anywhere (there is a boat to MK but it often too cold and rainy in Decmeber to use). It might be a faster trip from WL to MK than it is from CSR but all the other parks are shorter from CSR. Sooo I'd still got for the longer trip and stay at CSR. You can always go to WL for dinner or just to visit.

Without a doubt, the WL is much more spectacular at Christmastime. The decor and atmosphere are incredible for the holidays.

That said, I'd go for the longer trip at CSR. No, you won't have the same incredible WL holiday surroundings, but you will have more days in which to visit the WL and all the other incredible holiday decorations available throughout WDW.

There are some that really love CSR so I'm sure they will jump in with their opinions. We, however, are the voice of dissent. We've stayed there three times now, the last one being the last resort of choice but all others were booked.

The first time we stayed, we thought it was a pretty place, but just too big for our tastes. Plus, the convention feel was prevalent everywhere you went. Seeing guests in business attire coming and going took away from the "Disney feel" in our opinion.

The second time, we decided to give it another chance. We're not hugely picky people so we figured we might have just been hyper opinionated. Nope. Still didn't like it at all. Just too much of a convention feel to it and less a Disney one. I kept getting "corporate flashbacks!"

BUT, the main pool is nice albeit constantly packed and the quiet pools are indeed very quiet. We do look Maya Grill quite a bit. We're not fans of the "food court" type joint. Can't remember the name. We thought the food was what a typical food court would offer, which is not a bad thing, but we hated the system they implemented.

We felt the same way last month at CSR. It is not that we didn't like it, but it wasn't anything special. It was too spread out. Didn't like to pay a "service fee" at the food court. You paid 10% for someone to seat you at a specified table. I didn't get the reasoning for it. It was a very pretty resort, though.

WL is my favorite resort, but I would take extra days at a moderate over less days at a deluxe. Our favorite moderate is POFQ. Is is much smaller than CSR, the kids love the pool, and the theming is great.

Two of the most popular Christmas time resorts are the PR and WL, so you may want to keep this in mind as you are trying to make your decision...they tend to book up many months prior.

Both resorts are really beautiful at Christmas.We go at Thanksgiving so we see many of the Christmas decorations.We love CSR and this will be our third year staying there.We have stayed at WL as well as my inlaws have DVC there.However,for the difference in the price I would definately stay at CSR.Ask to stay in the Cabanas section as that is the most convient and check out Buzz's web site as it is quite informative and will really get you excited and PM him as he knows all the ins and outs of CSR and if he doesn't he will always find out.Good Luck and have an awesome time. P.S. I didn't get the corporate feel there at all and the pool area is awesome!

I've stayed at both resorts. Personally, I think WL is the prettiest resort during Christmas time.

There's nothing better than sitting by the fireplace with a cup of hot chocolate on a cold night, or at any other one of WL's nooks.

The Christmas themes compliment the lodge very well. They had a group of carollers in the lobby when we were there. It's also nice because since it can get pretty cold in December, you don't have to be walking around outside to get to the lobby, restaurants, food court, etc.

CRS is a very big resort and it can be a real pain if you're placed far away from the main area. It's very spread out.

Although both resorts are wonderful at Christmas, I woud choose to spend more time at Disney. Christmas is so pretty and there is so much extra things to do that IMO, I would want the extra time.

Not sure if someone suggested this, but why don't you stay at CSR and make a reservation for whispering canyon cafe? That way you get more time at disney, and you get to see the WL decorations!

Thanks for your feedback, everyone! You all make valid points. I haven't decided yet, but I think I'm leaning toward staying at a moderate and maybe having a meal or two at WL. I'm going to try to book something within the next two weeks, so I guess I need to decide!

If anyone else has an opinion, please keep them coming. Thanks!

At holiday time....WL wins hands down....

The place fits with the holiday theme....

Giant fireplace....IMO.....the lodge is the most magical
place in all of WDW at holiday time:love:
Enjoy....either way....how can you not;)
Kerri

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!