WL Christmas week—resort vacation without park tickets? Or offsite?

100acreHiker

Fallen down the Disney rabbit hole...
We have airfare travel bank that expires at the end of the year. I can't take my kids out of school this fall, so we're planning to go down to Orlando Dec 26-31 for some R & R. We don't plan to go into the park. We want to just hang out at the resort, go see Blue Man Group one day, Disney Springs, resort hop, etc. I MAY consider doing a christmas party--maybe. I was able to get a room at WL at a decent price. I've ALWAYS wanted to see and stay at WL during the holiday season. I'm wondering: do you think we will get bored quickly there without going into the parks? We didn't really enjoy our last parks trip during spring break--we stayed at BWI and love it but the crowds that week were awful, so I don't think we would handle the holiday crowds well. For $500 less we can stay at Wyndham Grand Bonnet Creek, but it won't have the holiday feel and vibe that WL has, though I suspect it has more amenities. It may even be a wash cost wise because we'd likely have to rent a car, actually.

Thoughts? Anyone stay at WL for the holidays and not do the parks? What do you do on WDW grounds if you don't do the parks during Christmas week?

Last edited:
We have airfare travel bank that expires at the end of the year. I can't take my kids out of school this fall, so we're planning to go down to Orlando Dec 26-31 for some R & R. We don't plan to go into the park. We want to just hang out at the resort, go see Blue Man Group one day, Disney Springs, resort hop, etc. I MAY consider doing a christmas party--maybe. I was able to get a room at WL at a decent price. I've ALWAYS wanted to see and stay at WL during the holiday season. I'm wondering: do you think we will get bored quickly there without going into the parks? We didn't really enjoy our last parks trip during spring break--we stayed at BWI and love it but the crowds that week were awful, so I don't think we would handle the holiday crowds well. For $500 less we can stay at Wyndham Grand Bonnet Creek, but it won't have the holiday feel and vibe that WL has, though I suspect it has more amenities. It may even be a wash cost wise because we'd likely have to rent a car, actually.

Thoughts? Anyone stay at WL for the holidays and not do the parks? What do you do on WDW grounds if you don't do the parks during Christmas week?

I would stay onsite at WL. We've never been over Christmas week, but there is so much to do/see during that time that I don't think you'd be bored. If it's warm enough you can spend some time at the pool, visit other resorts to shop/check out holiday decorations, visit FW, visit the boardwalk and rent surrey bikes, etc. WL is amazing during the holidays, I think staying there would be great for some R&R :).

As long as its a good deal on the room, I would go for it! Great access to fun restaurants, you can find perfect fireworks locations (Cali Grill, restaurants at the Poly or GF, and may I throw in a Capa at the Four Seasons with views of both Epcot and MK fireworks from the balcony, albeit far), do the extra outside of the parks things (Illuminations cruises don't need park tickets, I don't think?) and it will be a great time!

We stayed at WL the week before Christmas a few years ago and it was absolutely beautiful. Just know, there won't be any Christmas parties that week. We've also gone Christmas week (stayed at BWI) and did a lot of non-park activities to avoid the crowds. I would suggest the following if you decide to stay at WL:

1) Visit Ft. W and consider doing Hoop Dee Doo followed by a private sleigh ride. We did the 4 pm show followed by a 6:15 pm sleigh ride the year we went and it was so lovely to see all of the decorations at the campground. HDDR also adds some holiday songs during that time and it's a lot of fun.

2) Disney Springs - if you go, go in the morning. It is an absolute zoo in the evenings. At Disney Springs, you could add on some extras like The Void (which is AMAZING!), Splitsville, NBA Experience, etc.

3) If it's warm enough, perhaps consider going to Typhoon Lagoon? For minimal cost, you could also play mini-golf at either WinterSummerland or Fantasia

4) Resort hop - you could spend an entire day just hopping to all of the deluxe resorts to see the decorations. You could even split it up into two days. We did a progressive dinner on the monorail one year - started at Trader Sam's as soon as it opened, hopped to GF to see the gingerbread house, then ended at Cali Grill. You could to the EP resorts one evening and then end on the Boardwalk to see the magicians and jugglers.

5) WL has a lot of activity offerings - you could rent a boat, take the resort offered tour (or ask the front desk of the print out that explains the architecture and details of the resort), see Walt Disney's train cars in the lobby of BRV. There are also a ton of activities offered at Ft. W which is only a boat ride away.

There is so much to do on WDW property that doesn't require entering a park. I don't think you would get bored!

I agree with what @DisneyWishes14 says above. I would also add that traffic gets progressively worse as the week goes on - which is why I would definitely want to be onsite. You don't want to spend your resort only vacation stuck in the car trying to get to the resorts. With WL you have the boat to the monorail option, can walk or boat to Fort Wilderness, etc. Plus if you are stuck in traffic at least it will be on a bus and you aren't having to drive.

We stayed at WL the week before Christmas a few years ago and it was absolutely beautiful. Just know, there won't be any Christmas parties that week. We've also gone Christmas week (stayed at BWI) and did a lot of non-park activities to avoid the crowds. I would suggest the following if you decide to stay at WL:

1) Visit Ft. W and consider doing Hoop Dee Doo followed by a private sleigh ride. We did the 4 pm show followed by a 6:15 pm sleigh ride the year we went and it was so lovely to see all of the decorations at the campground. HDDR also adds some holiday songs during that time and it's a lot of fun.

2) Disney Springs - if you go, go in the morning. It is an absolute zoo in the evenings. At Disney Springs, you could add on some extras like The Void (which is AMAZING!), Splitsville, NBA Experience, etc.

3) If it's warm enough, perhaps consider going to Typhoon Lagoon? For minimal cost, you could also play mini-golf at either WinterSummerland or Fantasia

4) Resort hop - you could spend an entire day just hopping to all of the deluxe resorts to see the decorations. You could even split it up into two days. We did a progressive dinner on the monorail one year - started at Trader Sam's as soon as it opened, hopped to GF to see the gingerbread house, then ended at Cali Grill. You could to the EP resorts one evening and then end on the Boardwalk to see the magicians and jugglers.

5) WL has a lot of activity offerings - you could rent a boat, take the resort offered tour (or ask the front desk of the print out that explains the architecture and details of the resort), see Walt Disney's train cars in the lobby of BRV. There are also a ton of activities offered at Ft. W which is only a boat ride away.

There is so much to do on WDW property that doesn't require entering a park. I don't think you would get bored!

Thank you, everyone, and thank you DisneyWishes14 for the thoughts and ideas! We have the WL reservation and I plan to keep it. Hopefully it a resort-focused getaway won't feel like a zoo!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter