• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wk Of Nov 3 - WISH Walking/Running Club

chimera

<font color=deeppink>WISH Racing Team Member<br><f
Hello everyone!

For those new to us, we are a group of people who are planning to participate in walking/running events throughout the year. For most of us, the ultimate goal is to train and compete in the annual WDW Half/Full marathons. We'll also be posting news and training for various other events throughout the year. We range from non-running beginners to triathletes. Come join us, whether you're training for an event or walking/running for fitness!

TigerLily03 said:
New WISH Team members. If you read one thing over and over, believe this. Being part of this team is fantastic. Part of the ride you get for the event is what I call the roller coaster. There will be lots of ups and downs. The more you post here, the more you will find yourself enjoying the ride. It is an incredible journey. Don't be afraid, shy or whatever to come here and just post up anything. You don't have to know us right away, or all of us at all. You will get to know some of us. It makes the event you are enjoying have MORE meaning and we love to have you.

WISH Racing Team

Abra Cat Kristi NC
akasleepingbeauty Rhonda TX
aladdinsgirl Krista OH
AmyBeth68 Amy NJ
andromedaslove Dana FL
angietuck2 Angie FL
bekagain Bekah
bekkiz WA
BelleMA87
BiggerTigger Jeff FL
Big Vic Vic FL
blueroses WA
Buckalew11 Brenda TN
Calcio Craig MA
CarolA Carol GA
CaroleD Carole ON
cdn gal eeyore Leana Alberta
Chernabog#1Fan FL
ChiFiveO Donna IL
chimera Mel FL
Chropistopy Christy GA
Cindylou Cindy
Cingoutload Dawn GA
CrazySecretRecipe Jennifer FL
CreativeBeth Beth PA
Cruella de Mom Cecilia GA
crzy4pooh Lynnda FL
DaddyBeast Kevin TX
deekaypee ND
Dennyha Denny SC
DianeL Diane
DiRTyBuNNy TN
disneybelle Darcey NJ
DisneyGirl Marissa
disneyluv
disneyrun
disnutt Kiena OH
DJBounce Darcey IA
donac Dona NJ
DreamBeliever IL
dthogue Tammy PA
Duanerice Duane FL
EPCOTDUDE Bob NJ
escape Susie AR
fabumouse NJ
FirstTimertoDiz Lisa PA
FungLu Brett OR
gatorphipps Christa NC
getnthinr Wendy NC
goingthedistance Paul NM
goofyguy1958 Mike
Goofyin08forErica Erica KY
gsu1988 Ken GA
Hey Mickey Erica NY
HMHunters
Hockeychic Kim CAN
hockeygirl Laurie NY
Hockeymom311 Jen
Honeibee Judy NY
hoosmi Jen GA
ironz TX
jam217 PA
JCTigger Jill MA
jeanneg Jeanne NC
Jen117 Jen WI
Jennasis NC
jimmduck
jims2cool Jim IL
Jodi Jodi CT
jodistar Jodi CT
kaf7878 Kelly FL
karebear1 Karen OR
Kareneast Karen NJ
KathyRN137 Kathy NJ
keenercam Cam DE
KeenHo Howard DE
KelNottAt Kelley MD
Kimickey Kim MD
Kim10110 Kim
klh-or Karla OR
Kristi1357 Kristi NH
lenshanem Shan
Lexxiefern Becky MA
lillouisianagal Claire LA
Little Miss Mickey Ashley
Lisa Loves Pooh Lisa FL
littlegreydonkey Helen NZ
lourodrigis Lou NJ
lustergirl NY
macrosswife Kimber AL
magslite Maggie IL
maherae Anne FL
MainStMandy Amanda NY
marathonmommy Laura NJ
MarkMichaels Mark IA
maryliz maryliz ON
MdmMim
Meghan74 Meghan
MelRhoads Melissa AR
MickeySP Lisa MA
Minigirl Eva
Minnie Suzy
mogulskr Scott NJ
momoftwogirls
monte Monica CO
Moonie NC
mousemgr Susan MI
MouseDogMom Jackie NC
Mouse Skywalker Dave NY
MrsTrx Tracey FL
MyZoeJane Ali IL
msblrobs Sara NY
nepatsfan73 Bill CT
nucpharm29 Stephanie AR
NYCpa Kathy NY
ohMom Molli OH
Optimator Mike
outonarun Teri CA
padisneyfan Nancy PA
panthergirl Susan NC
patsfaninpa Jen PA
Paull117 Paul WI
perfectmatch300 Nancy FL
plgrn Patti and Jenn
plutosmyfav Sunny MA
plutopdx OR
pollioni Robb ON
princessmomma Colleen NC
princessrunner Lisa ME
Pungodingy Angie NH
rake5 Rachael WA
RedDragon Martha MA
rKyDeX Chester FL
rosy1020 Kristin Japan
RunningLilo Dena FL
runwdw2008 Dona
Sabrina Mouse Sabrina MD
Sandy321 Sandy IL
sap1227 Christy FL
sara74 Sara CT
sassparillo
ScoJo15 Scott GA
scoolover Scott CT
scuba diver Jim FL
SeeDisney
SilverE Steve ME
SirBouncealot Andrew IA
skfulkers Steve OH
solotraveler Kevin MI
Space Ranger John
stitch lover sith Erin
sugaswim Holly MD
TammyNC Tammy NC
taz4disney CJ IN
TEK224 Terri PA
Texa
thndrmatt Matt FL
tiberius Richard
TiffJ Tiffany AL
TigerLily03 Lily OH
Tinks Vicki IL
TNTsParty Tricia FL
TriMom Mary Kathryn TN
twotoohappy Liz MA
TXAng TX
TXBelle Heather TX
Valentine Kathy NY
Villains Rock Eva OH
WDWfan 9 Pat IL
westcliffemom Stacey CO
wfloyd Bill FL
windwalker Dave KY
WIsh I Lived in FL Felicia
Worfiedoodles Maria MA
wtpclc Carrie MI
xterratri Lynne ME
zoegirl Bree NC
Zoesmama03 Melissa AZ

Thought I was going to have to dig out my thermals today...was only 64 degrees when I started out on my 12 miles. ;) After the first teeth-chattering interval, the run was fabulous! Finished in 2:29:11 for a 12:25 pace :car: That's about 6 min off my best 12! :banana:

Thanks to everyone for commenting on how cool the new distances are. I have 16 looming ahead next week...already starting to worry about that one!

Kristin...I'm no expert, but I'm planning a 22 mile run as my longest for the full. I've done a 12 for each half marathon I've run even though most plans only go up to 10. I do it for the mental edge.

Martha...good luck on your 16! Can't wait to hear about it!

Jackie...hope the band competition went well!

Don't forget to set your clocks back!

I had a great r/w tonight :goodvibes . Worked all day and then went to the track for 5 miles. Decided to do my version of intervals. Guess what?!- I PR'd :cool1:
I finished the 5 miles in 1:02:41 for at 12:32 mpm pace. I actually finished the first 2 miles in under 12 mpm pace. Thought I might try to break an hour, but it didn't work out that way. Still, I was happy. The best part was I didn't feel like I was spent when I was finished. And I seemed to catch my breath quicker on the recovery part of the interval. Guess all this training is starting to pay off!:)

Was sorry to hear about the tragedy at the Olympic Trials:sad2:

Wishing everyone a good training week!

Terri

Hey all well the 15 is done and dusted - for soem reason that's my hurdle, the rest of it now doesn't bother me. It went okay, we went out for pasta dinner last night then I went to sleep at 9pm. At midnight I am woken up by thunderstorms and lashing rain - accompanied by my neighbours having a party, all I could think was 'I've got to run 3 hours tomorrow -and it's raining and there's music', finally fell back to sleep at 3.30 and told myself I could sleep until whenever i'd just run late, so left he house at 8.30am (not 7am) which was great as the sun was just coming out from the rainclouds - fo course in Australia this isn't always a good thing, but the temperature stayed somewhere around 70ish I think so it was fine.

I decided to go a new route and ran towards Nicole Kidman's house (via Russell Crowe's pad!!!), I kid you not, they are my destination markers, I had never found the steps that take you toward Ms Kidman's before (and you don't want to go the roadway it's a pretty dodgy area) but much consultation of maps got me there and so I ran round a very pretty little park then tried to find Nicole - all I know is the area she's in, not exactly where, apparently you spot it by the photographers outside - well she obviously isn't ehre as no paps anywhere and man, if she ever walks round there its no wonder she's so thin - it's hilly!!!

So, by the time I get back to the normal starting point of my run iI'm 1 hour 45 in - only another one to go - hooray. Bump into a friend while having a drink stop so that was a 5 minute break that revived me and got back home perfectly at 2.45. Feet are a bit sore, but it's now about 85 degrees so am enjoying the ice.

Hope everyone else went well - Helen

Well, I am off to run the 10K Ben Franklin Bridge run (Camden, Nj to Philly). It's a chilly 39 degrees today so this will be my first fairly cold run. Temp should be 44 at race time (8:30AM).

Good luck disneybelle (Darcey) !! I do not have a WISH shirt so you probably won't be able to pick me out. I'm #1840 if you read this before you leave.

Lou

Good luck Darcey and Lou. Hope you have a great race despite the temps. Put on the woolies!!! :lmao:

Well, I'm sitting here with my coffee:surfweb: getting some inspiration to get out and run. Tummy wasn't so hot yesterday, so we'll see what happens today. Gonna try for 12, but I'm so unprepared (no powerade, no Gu:rolleyes: ) And I had to break out my "winter running" gear today (capri tights)--it's 47 degrees out!:cold: But I do have to say that turning the clocks back, helped me get out of bed this morning on time.

Good luck to all with races and LRs today. Congrats to those who got those LRs in yesterday!

Motivational quote for those feeling lazy this sunday:

You can not plow a field by turning it over in your mind.

Sorry, but I was hearing alot of unmotivated people this morning. The fresh bout of cold air has us all wanting to curl up instead of run. Don't give in to it! Go out and breathe in the cold air and run! It will feel good.

Cecilia

Good Morning Team: :surfweb:

I forgot about setting the clocks back. Thanks for the reminders. Now I should go back to bed ;). I was lazy yesterday running-wise. I did nothing. I was up early, going to run, but then I wanted to watch the Olympic Marathon Trials. So I decided to make a big waffle and egg breakfast for the family while I kept my eyes on the computer for the trials. I was amazed at Ryan Hall's win. I was able even to see him finish, and he was so impressive. I was shocked and saddened by Ryan Shay's death. What a shock. My heart goes out to his family. The rest of the day I puttered around the house. Put away the summer stuff, took DD6 pooh: to a b-day party, and took the family to Target. We scored some fun Halloween stuff for 75% off. Then home to watch Michigan squeek by Michigan State in football. Go Blue! The evil side of me was glad the loss was particularly painful for MSU... heh, heh, heh.

Jen- WTG on your 7 miler at 8:36 pace. That is really impressive. :thumbsup2

Mike- Nice job on your 9 miler. You're ahead of me with training. I only did one 3 mile run last week. See, that's why you can run sub-4 hours marathons. Good job. I'm sorry to hear about Kathy's shin splints. I know how painful those can be. Hope she's feeling better.

Mel- Great job on your PR for 12 miles. That's awesome! How's your foot holding up these days.

Terri- Great job on your 5 miler too. Wow, everyone's PR'ing.

Helen- I love your mile markers for your run, Russell Crowe's house, Nicole Kidman's house... you must live in a pretty swanky area. I guess being a celebrity author and all will do that ;).

Lou- Good luck with your race today. Darcey too.

Stephanie- Good luck with your run too. Hope you stay warm.

Cecilia- Thanks for the motivational quote. You're right, I was using the cold as part of my excuse yesterday too. Although, I felt OK giving myself a break since I just ran the marathon and have nothing coming up. I think the family appreciated my hanging around too.

Good morning Team. I try to say hello on this thread when it is first getting started because I can't keep up with it after it's been going for a few days.

Erica and I are planning an 8 mile walk on Monday and a 16 miler on Tuesday. We both had to take a few days off to recover from vacation. Did that ToT thing really happen or was it just a dream? I have trouble even remembering it all since the week went so fast.

Have an awesome day y'all.

Resting Panda:hippie:

Good morning! :goodvibes I'm joining in early this week, otherwise I can never keep up.

I did my first LW since the Baltimore Marathon yesterday (10 miles). Boy, am I out of shape. It's only been 3 weeks, but since I spent most of that time resting my injured knee, it sure was hard to find my groove. At least my knee didn't hurt. Now I have inspiration to get serious about Goofy.

Take care, everyone! Have a great week.

Hi All,
Unfortunately my computer crashed on Thursday so I haven’t had a chance to stay caught up. I popped in my work laptop so I can get my Disboards fix! Need to order a new Dell today. Can’t wait to go back and read what’s been happening. From the little I saw, great job everyone. Looks like some people have races today. Go get em! Can’t wait to see if anyone races the NYC marathon. That is one race I’d like to get to. I think that would be so cool.

I was at a conference Thursday afternoon through Saturday afternoon. Well Thursday I went out and ran for an hour between the conference and dinner. I was beat. The temps were in the high 80’s and the humidity was still way up there. I was dreading that I had to do a 14 miler on Saturday afternoon.

Well come Saturday, the weather finally broke. Went out around 4:30 p.m. (you don’t normally do that here in S Florida) and had a great 14 mile run. I have never run farther than 13 miles before so this was a new distance for me. When I was out I actually had to call and ask my wife to bring me my long sleeve shirt because it was getting chilly. That is awesome for us since we haven’t had the AC off since we turned it on in April. Anyway, I felt great. The weather sure does make a difference.

I’m sure glad I went out yesterday because it feels really good just lounging around on this cool morning! We have absolutely nothing we have to do today :)

Keep running and I’ll keep reading,
Duane

Hi team!! Good luck to all who are racing today. I am loving the time change (yeah ask me that later when it gets dark so early!! LOL) My DH woke up at his normal time (well he thought it was normal time but the clocks weren't turned back yet) so we were up before 6AM. I went out around 6:20AM. The temp was about 63 so it felt good. I was able to run the whole way to the beach (about a mile) when I got there I HAD to stop and walk because the sun was coming up and it was so BEAUTIFUL. I am going to have to bring my camera the next time (maybe tomorrow morning) I then ran the whole way back. I only did 2 miles but I don't really have any races scheduled (if I am in town I may do a 4 miler on Thanksgiving - the prize for the 1st 600 finishers is an apple pie!!!) So I was motivated this AM but wasn't too motivated last week - only got out on Thursday but I did plan on taking the whole week off.

Hope everyone has a nice Sunday and enjoy!!

Good morning everyone.

Decided to reschedule my LR and get in three miles on the TM. We’ll get the LR done tomorrow afternoon or evening.

Mel – WTG with the 12 miler! It was 51 degrees when I got up this morning. Where’s my parka? :rolleyes1

Terri – WTG with the 5 miler!

Helen – WTG with the 15 miler. If you see Nicole, tell her I said hey. :thumbsup2

Lou – Good luck with your race.

MSDave – W’sup!?

WWDave – Good luck with the walks this week.

Kelley – WTG with the 10 miler.

Duane – WTG with the 14 miler.

Tricia - WTG with the 2 miler.

:)

Hi guys -

Since the most I'm doing at the moment is a 20 minute walk with a colleague at lunch I haven't felt like I should post..... but I've been reading :goodvibes

I've got a question... I've tried to find it again and so far haven't had any luck. I could have sworn that someone had a rough stay at the Swan/Dolphin over the ToT event weekend.

I will be heading to Orlando for a business trip in a couple weeks and want to spend the last evening in WDW (use that AP that's burning a whole in my pocket). :banana:

The rates though for that time period are scary even with an AP :scared1:

I wanted to stay in the Epcot area but sheesh the lowest WDW resort price is the BCV at $275 (with tax).

The corp I work for does have an agreenment with Westin hotels so I checked the Dolphin and was quoted a rate of $241 (with tax).

However, I thought I'd read that someone had a bad stay and that there were unexpected fees on top of this...

I'm planning on spending the evening in Epcot for EMH and have to leave for the airport the next morning (11am flight) so my use of the resort will be highly limited. I thought staying close though would be time effective. The rates though wowser :scared1:

The other options are a value for $90 (with tax) or a mod for $140 (with tax).

If anyone has advise for a quick solo one night stay I'd be thrilled to hear it!

WISHing everyone the best :goodvibes :goodvibes :goodvibes

Got my 15 miles in! I wanted to quit so many times, but I didn't want to report to the boards. ;)

It was cold!!:eek: It started out at 48 degrees. I was in shorts, short sleeve T-shirt, and a light jacket. Harry was layered up! The first couple of miles were cold, but it got a little better.

My iPod tells me I did it at a 10:02 pace. I did stop it everytime I had to stop for a car, or give Harry more treats, or pick up stuff-- you get the idea. So it looks like I was fast, but there was a lot of stopped time that I didn't count (but did get to rest)! So in real time it took... an eternity. Good thing we had that extra hour!:laughing:

I had gels at miles 5 and 11. I was seriously pushed over the edge at about mile 7, so I stole some of Harry's Kissables (they're like Hershey Kisses with an M&M coating). The candy made me so much happier than the gels! It really made me laugh to think that I was eating candy while running- that seems so wrong, but felt so right.:laughing:

I thought of WISHers a lot. I was wondering who else was out there plodding along. Hope everyone did well!

Helen's route sounds so much better than mine! I wandered into a few other neighborhoods. Hello- at least 7 dogs ran at me. I've got to get some pepper spray. I've never run into dogs in my usual area. One in particular was scary- he looked like a wolf with mange. I heard the owner yelling at him about 20 seconds after he'd rushed me. Oh, thanks, he could have eaten me by the time you noticed! :rolleyes1

So I guess it's a good start to November, the scariest month on my calendar (to date at least).

Jen in GA

Hi guys -

Since the most I'm doing at the moment is a 20 minute walk with a colleague at lunch I haven't felt like I should post..... but I've been reading :goodvibes

I've got a question... I've tried to find it again and so far haven't had any luck. I could have sworn that someone had a rough stay at the Swan/Dolphin over the ToT event weekend

I wanted to stay in the Epcot area but sheesh the lowest WDW resort price is the BCV at $275 (with tax).

The corp I work for does have an agreenment with Westin hotels so I checked the Dolphin and was quoted a rate of $241 (with tax).

However, I thought I'd read that someone had a bad stay and that there were unexpected fees on top of this...

I'm planning on spending the evening in Epcot for EMH and have to leave for the airport the next morning (11am flight) so my use of the resort will be highly limited. I thought staying close though would be time effective. The rates though wowser :scared1:

The other options are a value for $90 (with tax) or a mod for $140 (with tax).

It was Erica and I that didn't care for the Swan. We felt it was more for convention and business travelers. Not the same attitude and atmosphere as a Disney resort. Also they chare to $9 plus tax per day to park your car and $14 for a day of internet. The Disney resorts don't charge for parking and ingternet is $9.99 a day.

The restraunts are more expensive than the Moderate levels, I think you can get an annual pass rate of $99 a night at the Moderates right now, and parking is free. We have stayed at the Coranado which was good and CBR this Jan trip.

Thrifty Panda:hippie:

Hey Minnie-

I think it was Dave who didn't like the Swan when he first got to Disney. I don't remember if he posted his final thoughts on it.

I've stayed at the Dolphin and the Swan. I love the location of course. I think they do add some extra charges, but can't remember the details.

They are not run by Disney, and they do not feel like Disney. (They do have a gift shop with Disney stuff). Mickey will not wake you up and you can't use your roomkey for charging. Those two things really bother me-- I like the routine of listening to Mickey telling me to get up and I like not seeing my credit card when I'm at Epcot. Sure, I know charging on the roomkey is the same as the card, but it feels different. ;)

On the positive side,the Swan/Dolphin do have great beds and a decent pool. I've found the staff to be ok. Nothing great, but nothing bad either. And again, location, location, location...

I usually only stay there if I can find a rate that is significantly lower than the Beach Club. Then it's worth it to me. If I had to choose, I'd probably stay somewhere else at the rate you quoted. But, part of me thinks it is really convenient and it's just one night...

I think Dave was talking about it in one of the posts from the WISHers who arrived early for the ToT.

Good luck

Jen in GA

Hey everybody--like some of the others have said, I figure I better check in today before I lose track of this thread.

Today I did my 15 mile LR..first of all, this is my longest run ever, and I have to say it was quite hard. But, I finished, and I am super happy about that. My pace was just under 11 min., which I was happy about.

Sorry, that I don't have more time to catch up...gotta run!

Hope everyone had great runs/races this weekend!

hockeygirl and Jen in GA - Congrats on the 15 mile LR's. In a few weeks 15 miles will not seem that long anymore.

RACE REPORT - Cooper AmeriHealth Bridge Challenge 10K

The good news is that I ran a good race today. I have never ran this fast for 6+ miles in my life. I remember when I first started training in the summer that 6 miles was my first LR. Now it seems like a run around the block.

PLACE: 354 out of 2033
CHIP TIME: 48:09
FINAL TIME: 48:28
PACE: 7:48 (fastest I have ever run)

The hardest part of getting prepared for a 1st marathon is not having the experience. Today I learned another lesson. The lesson is that I am training for a marathon and even if I can run fast for 6 miles I may want to be careful because I could get injured.

The bad news is I got hurt. After I finished the race I felt good...my right knee felt a little sore but everything else was great. I sat down in centerfield of Campbell's Field and stretched for a few minutes. When I got up my knee felt weird and in 5 minutes I was limping around like an old man. I could not walk up or down stairs at all. I needed help getting out of my car at home.

I think I hyperextended my knee down the stretch which was stupid on my part. I was running with a few people at the end that I wanted to beat and my getting cocky I ended up getting me hurt.

I've been on ice and Tylenol all afternoon and the pain/swelling has gone down slightly. The Philly marathon is 2 weeks away so I am a little scared. Worst case I may have to cut back on training to let this knee heel up.

Good thing my wife is an ER nurse because I have plenty of medical support/opinions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter