• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wk of Nov 26--WISH Walking/Running Club

chimera

<font color=deeppink>WISH Racing Team Member<br><f
Hello everyone!

For those new to us, we are a group of people who are planning to participate in walking/running events throughout the year. For most of us, the ultimate goal is to train and compete in the annual WDW Half/Full marathons. We'll also be posting news and training for various other events throughout the year. We range from non-running beginners to triathletes. Come join us, whether you're training for an event or walking/running for fitness!

WISH Team

akasleepingbeauty Rhonda TX
aladdinsgirl Krista OH
AmyBeth68 Amy NJ
Andrea718 Andrea NY
andromedaslove Dana FL
bekagain Bekah
Big Vic Vic FL
Buckalew11 Brenda TN
budbeerlady
Calcio Craig MA
CarolA Carol GA
Cheryl N. WI Cheryl WI
chimera Mel FL
Chropistopy Christy GA
Cingoutload GA
Cruella de Mom Cecilia GA
crzy4mk Michael GA
crzy4pooh Lynnda FL
debm IL
Dennyha Denny OH
DianeL Diane
disneybelle Darcey NJ
disneyfanz04 Michelle NJ
DisneyGirl Marissa
disnygoof Christiana SC
disneyrun
DJBounce Darcey IA
donac Dona NJ
dthogue Tammy PA
escape Susie AR
fabumouse NJ
gatorphipps Christa NC
getnthinr Wendy NC
goingthedistance Paul NM
goofyguy1958 Mike
gradtchr Beth TX
hbardeleben Heather IL
hmgolden Helen NY
HMHunters
Hockeychic Kim CAN
hockeygirl Laura NY
Honeibee Judy NY
Houstonmouse Tracey
icunurse_celeste Celeste IL
Jen117 Jen WI
Jodi Jodi CT
jodistar Jodi CT
k_hase Kim NY
karebear1 Karen OR
Kareneast Karen NJ
Kaycee Kaycee KY
keenercam Cam DE
KeenHo Howard DE
KelNottAt Kelley MD
KeriZ Keri AB
Kim10110 Kim
Kimickey Kim MD
Kimwim8 Kim NJ
Kristi1357 Kristi NH
lillouisianagal Claire LA
Lisa Loves Pooh Lisa FL
littlegreydonkey Helen NZ
LittleMissMickey Ashley MN
lizdotcom99 Liz IN
macrosswife Kimber AL
magslite Maggie IL
maherae Anne
martysmom Jenny FL
maryliz maryliz ON
MdmMim
MelRhoads Melissa AR
MickeySP Lisa MA
Minnie Suzy
momoftwogirls K
monte Monica CO
Mouse Skywalker Dave NY
MouseDogMom Jackie NC
MrsTrx Tracey FL
msblrobs Sara NY
nstauffer Nikki MI
nucpharm29 Stephanie AR
NYCpa Kathy NY
ohMom OH
outonarun Teri CA
Papa Deuce PA
perfectmatch300 Nancy FL
plutosmyfav Sunny MA
pollioni Robb ON
princessmomma Colleen NC
Princess Nancy Nancy SC
Pungodingy Angie NH
Rachael Q Rachael BC
RedSonya Sonya UT
rKyDeX Chester FL
Rockclimber Dave NC
RunningLilo Dena FL
ryley26 Rich OH
sap1227 Christy FL
sara
ScoJo15 Scott GA
sjams Janet TX
skfulkers Steve OH
SoCalSnail Jim CA
solotraveler Kevin MI
Stenogoddess Lauren GA
stitch lover sith Erin
sugaswim Holly MD
TammyNC Tammy NC
taz4disney CJ IN
TEK224 Terri PA
thndrmatt Matt FL
TiffJ Tiffany AL
TigerLily03 Lily OH
TnTsParty FL
TXBelle Heather TX
Valentine Kathy NY
Viking Eric GE
Wbgirl Melissa MN
WDWfan 9 Pat IL
wfloyd Bill FL
WIsh I Lived in FL Felicia
wiskband Renee NY
wtpclc Carrie MI
xterratri Lynne ME

Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving!

We're on our way back home early in the a.m. I forgot that leaves actually change color way up north here in Gainesville :teeth:

I did 4 miles today, as an experimental run...decided to take the ol' girl out and see what she could do. I ran the first mile with no intervals in 11:02, just to see what kind of potential I have. I feel a bit better about pace now...I think I have something I can work from for next year. I did intervals for the remaining 3 miles, but freeform, just ran when I felt like it and walked when I felt like it. For you Monsters, Inc fans, my second mile beeped at 23:19, which cracked me up :rotfl: Found my side stitch about that time so the rest were slower...Gainesville has hills which didn't help :scared1:

But overall, 4 miles in 49:06 for a 12:17 pace. I'm pretty happy with that! :woohoo:

Good training everyone! Only a few more LR weeks before Taper Madness begins :crazy:

Great pace, Mel!

Ok, I have nothing on topic to report. I am just shamelessly posting to show off my new siggie pic with 'my' Goo Goo Dolls!
:teeth: :love: :faint:

Pretty good run today--12 miles at just under 2 hrs. But, now my wonderful new shoes are starting to hurt my toes--guess it's time to try something different! Tomorrow is a rest day, so we'll see how I feel then.

Morning Everyone,

Thanksgiving was pretty good - - I did my 5k, in a downpour (it slowed me down a little).....my overall pace was around 11 (not my goal). I have to think the suggestions that the sports doctor made slowed me down a little also. I wore a sleeve on my right knee, as directed, believe it or not it really did help me - I woke up the next morning and my knee felt much better.

I start my therapy session - this Tuesday, and also have my personal trainer session to work my muscles too! From my understanding the therapy session is just to show me stretches, so I will be using my personal trainer session to cross train.

This morning - - when I woke up it was great, for the first time in a couple of weeks I woke up with the no soreness in my knee. Good news for me - - I will be attempting to do my long run of 16 miles.

Thanks to all of you for sticking by me -- you have no idea how much it has meant. :goodvibes

Okay, as promised - - a couple of weeks ago.....here are my pictures from Salem:

Pirates

Pirates.jpg

DSC00528.jpg

Scarcrow.jpg

Big Bad Wolf (and his ladies)
BigBadWolf.jpg

The Friendship
TheFriendship.jpg

Bewitched Statue donated by TV land
Bewitched.jpg

Close up of Samatha
Bewitched-2.jpg

Good Morning Team. Yesterday I went out and did 7 miles. I took the hilly route just for a change of pace and was a little disappointed in my time. I was doing a 13 minute mile. I am satisfied because I took it slow for all the hills, yet a little disappointed because I want to stay under 12:30. But it was just one run, I am sure I will do better next week when I have to do.... GASP... 10 miles!!!

Well, I guess I better get the girls ready. Today is our last day of vacation and we are all back to work. I am getting the girls ready for church, then DH promised he would stay home and get the Christmas decorations out. The girls are so excited.

OH, here is a disgusting story... apparently someone in the neighborhood goes deer hunting (besides my dh) and they brought their deer home to cut it up. Well, my dog must have smelled it because she brought home a deer leg last night. How disgusting, they had to been just throwing them outside, and it was a whole leg. We live in the 'burbs, so it's not like there are acres between the houses. We all live very close to each other.

Have a great day everyone!!!

Did my 10 yesterday morning as a step back week from the half marathon last week, but boy was it a hard 10. First of all it was at 5am since we had to leave for the FSU/UF game by 7, and I was just really, REALLY sore. Probably should have packed it in sooner but I'd already skipped one short run this week and wanted to at least get to 20 miles on the week. DW went to FSU, so that game didn't go as hoped either, and it was a lot of standing and walking around, and we ended up driving the 3 hours or so back that same night.

Plan calls for two days off, but I'm doubting my lower legs will be all about running 7 come Tuesday. And frankly the 16 I'm scheduled for on Saturday (which will be the longest distance I've ever run, ever) seems like Everest. It makes me wonder, I usually take a couple Aleve before long races (although I'm generally completely anti-painkiller for any reason, if your body doesn't know its broken how will you know when it's fixed) and therefore obviously generally run pain free, but it almost seems like any long run of 10 or more miles would be an exercise in pain management every single time otherwise...

Great photos of Salem!

Hi everybody - I'm just starting to train for the 2008 half marathon. I had intended on doing it in 2007, but I can't exercise at all when I'm pregnant. Well, I did some basic yoga but I felt like that hippopotomas in Fantasia except not as graceful.

So, I'm trying to get back in the saddle. I was at 9 miles for my long run before I got pregnant (and very proud of myself) and now I'm striving to be able to run for 2. Ouch!

I know a few of the members of the WISH team - I think all from mommies to be or new mommies threads.

:wave2:

Good morning WISHers!

Great job on the training runs everyone, and great pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Did six slow miles on the TM this morning. Ankle felt fine. :banana: I did however, notice a little tightness in my lower calf. I'm assuming there's still a little swelling in there.

I'm going to do an eight miler on Thursday as we're headed to the World for the weekend.

Speaking of heading to the World, is there anything I can look for for anyone?

:)

Jodi - great pics!

Vic - have a wonderful weekend. I love WDW this time of year!

Jen - my parents' neighbor liked to hang his deer to 'drain' on a tree between their two houses every year - in the front yard! YUCK!!! He finally just moved after 20 years - thank goodness!

I am heading out now to do 45 mins. r/w. I didn't exercise Friday or Saturday due to the road trip - but I plan on being 100% on program this week. I am going to take today easy, maybe even mostly walk. Chad's work hours are practically non-existent this week, so I have no excuse not to get out there!

And maybe I can lose a few more pounds before the next concert this Friday. I plan on trying to get autographs (on my running hat) after the show... :magnify:

eta: just got back:
12:25
12:43
12:43
7:06 (.53 miles)
45:01

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. I am so thankful for this WISH team :bounce: all the inspiration and support, I know I will cross the finish line.

If anyone had told me a few months ago that I would be happy to see an 8 mile LR on the calendar, I would have said you were mental. But it sure made it easier to roll out of bed Sat.
14:08
13:32
13:35
13:58
13:30
13:18
12:24
11:49
The bad: Didn’t need long sleeve shirt & jacket – gotta work on that layering thing. Wrong underwear – enough said. :guilty:
The good: I changed out the insoles in my shoe in hopes of helping the blister problem. Seems to have worked if I can now get the one on bottom of right foot healed up.

Have a great week & keep moving forward.
CJ – Fishers, IN
1k @ a time

My digusting story is worse... dog has massive diahrea now. Irggg... we figured out who had the deer parts out too. Our extremely rude and idiotic neighbor behind us. I knew it was them because I knew they hunt. They had a bunch of garbage bags laying outside the garage and I told DH to check it out, sure enough there were deer parts in them. These people are beyond the worse neighbors ever. I am saving money to put up a privacy fence along the rear of our property, but nice ones cost so much!!!

Oh, and I stopped at the local bike shop because my brother said they might have Clif BLocks, well they didn't. But the guy told me the reason that some gels and gu give you upset tummy is because they have too many non-organic ingredients. He said GU and Hammergel are now 90% organic and are easier on your tummy. This guy is the nicest guy, so glad I stopped in. He fixed my bike this summer after hours so I wouldn't have to wait! He said they may get more Bloks in stock in the spring so I will definately be back.

Hi Team,

Today - I did go out for my long run but finished at 15:00 miles with an overall pace of 12.00 min/mile.....I wish I did better but I'm happy to have gotten that far.

Craig - Thank you for the great ice suggestion.....I will start doing that today.

Looking forward to the rest of the week of training :thumbsup2 I now feel like I'm getting back on track.

So did anyone venture out on Black Friday? I did for a little bit (wasn't so bad) and then came back home and started to pack for Disney. I'm so ready to go away. :banana:

Well, enjoy the rest of your weekend!

I'm trying to catch up on everyone but I am sure that I will miss some of the people. This weekend was busy but it was nice to get a little break from work.

Running wise, I did my long runs at night since I thought it would be cooler and I didn’t want to wake up early again. Thursday night I did 12 miles with a 12:58 pace. That is a little faster than I want for the half so I was happy with it. Now if I can just slow it down a little bit. There weren’t any major problems with it either which I had expected since I had a big dinner a short while before.

Then to do my “Goofy training” I went out Friday night and did 23 with a 12:08 pace. The first 13 miles were a little under a 12:00 pace but then I started slowing down. Overall I felt good afterwards but I definitely felt some muscles getting worked out. I didn’t cramp up which is a big improvement over last year where I couldn’t get over 18 miles without my legs hurting. I also discovered that I probably shouldn’t climb up and down ladders putting up lights just before a run. I am sure that didn’t help things too much. However, I now know I can finish both of them with plenty of time so hopefully that will help with the rest of the training runs.

Lily – Sorry to hear about the run. Hope the new shoes work out better and solve some of the problems.

Chris – Glad you felt good after your run and congrats for hanging in there during the tough times.

Terri – Hope you can figure out how to fix the blister and keep the shoes.

Christa – Great job on the 20 miles. I would love to have a pace like that.

Vic – Great job on the training runs. Hope the leftovers were still good and that your ankle is still getting better.

Jen – glad to hear that the pain is getting better. Good job on the run this weekend, I think the pace was great considering the hills. Definitely don’t envy you with your neighbors though. :crazy2:

Steve and Krista – Great job on the races and getting the PR’s. :banana: Even better showing up some of the coworkers.

Mel – Good job on the training run. I definitely like running without any hills. I try for a couple of overpasses but will try to avoid those as well if I can.

Kristi – I will presume that you had a good time at the concert. Like the pictures.

Stephanie – Sorry to hear about your toes. You may just want to get the next half size up. I had to do this for the longer runs because the running store said your feet flatten out after a while so getting a larger shoe would help.

Jodi – Glad your knee felt better after the run but I don’t envy you running in the downpour. I had a couple of brief showers and was hoping they would end quickly. The pictures look great.

Matt – Sorry the run wasn’t the best or the game for that matter. You can blame Mel for that though. :teeth:

Fabumouse – Welcome, Good luck with your training for next year.

Bill

OHHH...
I didn't tell you a LR story from Fridays 20.
I was at mile 10 and stopped at a gas station to refill my bottles with Propel. While I was filling them up,the women who work there started talking to me. They asked how long had I run and blah, blah, blah....
Then...they asked how far I was going today. I told them I was at mile 10 of a 20 mile run. Well they were totally like WOW! But then one said, Oh, you don't run hard then. I did not understand what she meant...She said, well b/c you run so far, you don't go fast.
Well my EQ came out (in a nice way) and I told her that even crawling 20 miles is hard but I have been running 8mpm today so far...well this is a stretch b/c I was doing 8:30, but 8 sounds so much faster...She agreed that I run fast and hard. :rotfl2:
Now I do feel bad about acting like I was faster than I really am (well I did do one 7:45 and a few 8..but mostly 8:30s) but I don't think she would have cared about the 30 sec lie. :teeth: Am I a bad person for getting my pride hurt so easily? :confused3

WTG on everyone who got out there this weekend!

gatorphipps said:
Then...they asked how far I was going today. I told them I was at mile 10 of a 20 mile run. Well they were totally like WOW! But then one said, Oh, you don't run hard then. I did not understand what she meant...She said, well b/c you run so far, you don't go fast.
Well my EQ came out (in a nice way) and I told her that even crawling 20 miles is hard but I have been running 8mpm today so far...well this is a stretch b/c I was doing 8:30, but 8 sounds so much faster...She agreed that I run fast and hard. :rotfl2:
Christa--I would have done the same thing. People like that make me soooo mad! :furious: I know most who make those comments simply do so due to their own insecurities, but it still makes you mad because you work very hard and then someone has the nerve to belittle your accomplishments.
(just ask Krista about this topic and her arguments with her brother-in-law :) )

By the way, we're back in town from Pittsburgh. Had a good weekend, we were able to do our LRs at North Park, which is one of our favorite places to run. Still trying to catch up on stuff that we need to do before tomorrow. I'll try to read up on the thread and post later.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

Steve

wfloyd - thank you for the welcome! And that is great that you are feeling comfortable with your times - WOW!

I got out this evening and did my 30 minutes of slogging. :thumbsup2

Hey Fab! Great to see you over here! :thumbsup2 Congrats on getting out there today

Christa--Wow, you do run FAST and HARD!!!

Jen-YUCK!!! How disgusting--hope your doggie is okay!

Bill--thanks for the advice!DH wanted to know what I wanted for xmas--guess it will be another pair of shoes!

Today was a good rest day for me. But I feel surprisingly well after the 12 yesterday. Toes a little sore and sciatica acting up a little, but all in all feeling pretting good!

Calling all veterans...us 1st timers need a really good packing list. I figure if I set out one suitcase and start adding my running things I might be ready in 41 days. Your suggestions are much appreciated!!!

CJ - Fishers, IN
1k @ a time

Fabumouse...welcome! Congrats on your new addition! What training program will you be using for 2008?

Matt...gosh, I'm sorry to see that you were disappointed in the results of the game :lmao: I think Lynnda and Dana may share your dismay ;) As Bill said, it's all my fault...the Gators seem to do better when we don't watch the game, so we just listened on the radio this weekend. Sorry 'bout your stonker run.

CJ...Cam has a great list that she can probably be persuaded to repost, but I understand you do need to provide your own Howard :thumbsup2 The most important lesson I learned last year...make sure your chip is on your shoe! congrats on your 8 miles!

Stephanie...congrats on your 12!

Christa...I don't think you have anything to be worried about. You could also have mentioned that you did 20 miles while performing in shows, working, taking care of your family and all the other things you do in the course of a week :teeth: Fabulous pace, btw!

Steve...what happened to my friend, Hines, today? Only 33 yds...no TD receptions? :sad:

Bill and Lynnda...don't think I ever said congrats on Billy's little brother! Great pace on your run!

Jodi...great pace on your run as well! Cool pics of Salem!

Kristi...just curious, do the Goo recognize you yet? Seems like you get to meet them pretty often and they might remember you?

Jen...I get my Bloks online at gotbody.com. The box says USDA certified organic, but I don't know what that means as far as percentage. Gu maybe easier to digest just because it's not solid. Sorry to hear about your doggie :guilty:

We did pick DD13 up at WDW today. Looks like she's comfortable with waiting til next year to do the half since she has volleyball and soccer going now. She's planning to do the Minnie in May since she had no problems with it last year. DH is thinking maybe of doing the half with her next year, since I'm planning on doing the full. Definitely seems like this racing thing is contagious :)

If you're planning to attend the WISH dinner on Jan 5 (Friday), please check out the team meets thread. Dinner location will be changing as POR food court is closed!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter