Wk of Nov 20--2006 Disney Half-Full Marathon Info/Training

Hi Craig!

Good to "see" you. I have to say, you're the one, way back in July/August who gave me the most valuable advice so far. SLOW DOWN. I was dying after just 6 miles, wondering how in the world I'd do 13 & you told me to slow down. I can now run 8 miles, no prob (well, you know what I mean) & am looking forward to my 10 miler in 2 weeks, the last of my LRs b-4 the half. My times for my 8 were something like 10:30-10:45 w/ -splits in the end. Don't get me wrong, I've had many a stonker as well, but I always seem to pull it out of.....fill in your own noun.....on my LRs & it's definitely b/c I took your advice to slow down.

Glad to hear your training is doing well, although school sounds crazy.

Jodi

HI..............all, I have missed you all so much, i got twisted up and off plan with LIFE................. anyway my inspiration to get moving again was my marathon packet that I receieved yesterday........ I posted then tigerlily mentioned a pic she posted and I LOVE IT! cant wait to earn my second metal. so far, all I know is I am number 25079
not sure what corral etc. anyway, I am very excited about doing this again........ and I am not trying to sound like an old pro.......... but for all you first timers, I found it easier than I though it would be.
this time last year I was stressing and just going nuts asking Q's about traingin but most of all wanted to know if I should actually do 13.2 miles before that day just to know for sure if i could do it.
I never actually did, I did do 9 miles ( ibelieve ) in 2 hours..............
and honestly, I knew I could have gone further but i was so bored ( did it on treadmill ) as far as that (the treadmill) that was another concern......... are thing much different on the road than a treadmill.............
I found that I could diffinitly run longer on a treadmill, my Tm has shocks so its easier on the knees and you are pretty much forced to run when you set a speed.
to sum it all, I feel I went completely unprepared with out a plan ( I ran as long as I could then walked ) and I was scared as heck! but I did it! and so will you! see you there!

renee

Thanks for all the suggestions for rainy day running. MelR thanks for the links to those rain coats.

One more interesting thing I noticed in my Marathon packet were the pictures of the runners. Each runner had his/her first name on the racing number thingy, big enough that spectators could read it. I thought that was pretty cool.

Major rest day for me today, the 17 miles in the cold and wet really wiped me out.

Craig, glad to hear from you! I knew you must have been busy with school. Glad you fitness level is coming along, you are right, 13 miles is now a short run, it is good to be so comfortable with that distance.

Colleen

I had to take care of some personal business this morning before going to work. When I got home around (around lunch time) I checked the mailbox and I had a ton. As I was taking it out I saw a large white envelope with TinkerBell on it. Boy, did I start doing the Happy Packet dance :cool1: :cool1: :banana: :banana:

Then when I got inside and went to tear it open, I went from elation to depression in about 5 seconds. It wasn't my packet, but instead was my DVC 2006-07 planner. I never thought I'd be so unhappy to see mail from Disney. :sad1: It just wasn't the mail I was looking for.

Boy did that make the afternoon at work a downer. Oh well. There's always tomorrow.

Terri

Thank you all for all the good thoughts, hugs and smilies! They are much appreciated. :goodvibes It has been a very long weekend for me, as I left early Saturday and just got home. I am numb, mad, sad, exhausted and a whole bunch of other emotions in between. And as always, the DIS Family has been such a great place of warmth and support! Thanks to each and everyone of you for thinking of my family. You have no idea just what it means to me.

Thanks a bunch!

You guys are the best!!! Hope training is going well for all of you!! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Liz- Glad that you made it home safely. How's your dad? :grouphug:

princessmomma said:
One more interesting thing I noticed in my Marathon packet were the pictures of the runners. Each runner had his/her first name on the racing number thingy, big enough that spectators could read it. I thought that was pretty cool.

Last year was the first year they did that. It was great because then everyone along the route could cheer you on by name. What was funny was my DH just put his first initial on the application form so his bib just said "K." He said everyone along the route kept yelling "Go K" "Way to go K" I told him to put his full first name on the application this year. Who knows if he listened to me? I think he kind of liked being a man of mystery. pirate:

Tiff- What's the weather like in CT? Just hoping that the weather is good for Nancy's Turkey Trot tomorrow.

Good luck to everyone with races this week, and Happy Thanksgiving everyone! :wave:

Morning :wave:

A Y membership is a dangerous thing :teeth: I went out last night to pick up stuff for the food I'm brining on T-day and since I always have a fully stocked spare gym bag in the car... and the Y was on the way... I stopped in for a quick 5 miler.
heehee.gif
I was amazed at how many people came and went on the TMs while I was there. Here I was doing this "quickie" and outlasting wave after wave of people. My how things have changed!

I did lower body weights and elliptical trainer at my real gym at lunchtime. I scaled the leg press back to 420lbs. Next week I'll bring it down to 380lb. I'm not happy about it, but I will do it.

After work I'm bringing DS to go swimming. So far DD and Dx haven't been all that excited about our Y membership :confused3 I feel like a kid in a candy store :Pinkbounc

Oh my packet came :cool1: I should have put "Sunny" on my application. Oh well.

I can't wait to go for my early morning run on T-day. Last year was the first time I ever went running on T-day and it was sooooooo nice. Definitely a tradition I want to keep.

Sunny

Still hanging out it packet purgatory with some of you :rotfl: To make myself feel better, I've told my DH (who received his packet last week) that they must be waiting to mail out the "elite runner" packets :rotfl2: With the long holiday weekend upon us, I'll be running to the mailbox daily.

Still nursing the plantar fasciitis, resting today in hopes of getting in some long training runs this weekend. Best of luck to all of you on your anticipated long runs.

I was able to change my flight into Orlando to a much earlier time on Friday, 1/6, which was a huge relief for me.

Happy Thanksgiving to my WISH family. I'll be counting my blessings as I am sure you all will be too.

I'm guilty of posting this ever so often...

I hope this little diddy gets stuck in everyone's head today :goodvibes

goofhead07.gif
dancing_note2.gif

Next time your found, with your chin on the ground
There a lot to be learned, so look around

Just what makes that little old ant
Think he’ll move that rubber tree plant
Anyone knows an ant, can’t
Move a rubber tree plant

But he’s got high hopes, he’s got high hopes
He’s got high apple pie, in the sky hopes

So any time your gettin’ low
’stead of lettin’ go
Just remember that ant
Oops there goes another rubber tree plant

When troubles call, and your back’s to the wall
There a lot to be learned, that wall could fall

Once there was a silly old ram
Thought he’d punch a hole in a dam
No one could make that ram, scram
He kept buttin’ that dam

’cause he had high hopes, he had high hopes
He had high apple pie, in the sky hopes

So any time your feelin’ bad
’stead of feelin’ sad
Just remember that ram
Oops there goes a billion kilowatt dam

All problems just a toy balloon
They’ll be bursted soon
They’re just bound to go pop
Oops there goes another problem kerplop

ant.gif

hee hee

Sunny

Good morning!! :sunny: Still no race packets. :guilty: Crossing my fingers for today. I had a good run on the treadmill last night, I did 45:20 and I ran 3.88 miles. I was kind of mad at myself for stopping so close to 4 miles. For my sr's I run minutes instead of distance, when I get to how many minutes I'm supposed to run, I stop and then after I stop, I look at my milage. I didn't know I was so close to 4 miles until I slowed the treadmill down to a 3.5 to cool down. Grrr. pirate:

Sunny--What is your "real" name?

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!! Good luck to everyone running in races tomorrow. :wizard: Stephen and I are going to freeze to death in our 10K. Right now it's snowing and we're supposed to get an inch. :cold:

Happy training!!

Krista princess:

Good morning everyone!

Yesterday I had what I thought was going to be my last post-op with my orthopedic surgeon. I passed my flex test. I passed my stability test. But I failed - miserably - at my strength test.

Nuts.

I was sentenced to six more weeks of PT.

Grrrrrr.

On a good note...I'm up to 3.0 on the TM. :banana: I'm very happy with my progress.

Hey if they put names on our names on our "racing number thingys" I think I'll put Honeibee on mine in 2007. :flower:

Happy and safe Thankgiving to all my WISH buddies and all of my DISfriends!

Judy

aladdinsgirl said:
Sunny--What is your "real" name?

My real name is unique enough that if someone google's it, my WISH posts actually come back on the first page! I was horrified when I learned that and saw my WISH journal come up as number 2 on the list. I then went back and edited all my posts and started going by my online knickname, "Sunny". Plus, there is another someone with the same very unique name who has an "exotic" photography page of herself. That horrified me too, as I would hate for my online acquantences to think it was me.

So you'll just have to wait until we meet in Jan to find out ;)
spy.gif

I'm just back from the gym. I did 6.75 miles on the treadie. I set it at 6.5 mph and left it there for the whole run. It was quite comfortable.

Sunny

plutosmyfav said:
Who posted about race shoes? I put my first 7 miles on my race shoes yesterday. I put the sales receipt in my training log and I'm going to log the miles on them. I plan to put about 70-80 miles on them prior to the race.

I use a website called winningstats.com. On it you can log your mileage and time, and it computes your pace for you. My favorite part is you enter your shoes, and it computes the mileage as it adds up on the shoes. You can enter as many pairs as you use, and tell it which pair gets the mileage for that particular run. Best of all, the site is free and I never get junk email from them!!! :teeth:

Speaking of mileage, I did 16 miles yesterday. I was supposed to have done it Monday, but I, too, can't stand running in the rain, so I put it off a day. I got to about 11 miles before it started to get really hard. And, boy did it get hard. I popped Advil like candy all night, and am feeling much better today. And speaking of Advil, in the packet Disney sent, in the medical section, it says that ibuprophen and Naproxen (like Aleve) can affect the body's electrolyte regulation systems. This is news to me! Who knew that electrolytes were so darn hard to control. As it is, I decreased the Gatorade in my Camelbak, and relied to PowerGels for energy after the website that was posted last week warning us not to mix. I feel like I need a degree in nutrition before I can make this run! :confused3

Terri-- I just found out my friend's son, Lowell Ladd (the super fast marathoner) ran Philly and took 10th place (2:29). It was an experiment for him to run a second marathon in 6 weeks (he took 2nd at Steamtown). He wasn't happy with his results! I can't imagine...

Sunny

Hi All - did my 9 miles last night, it was okay, I got all carried away during the first 3 miles (Which I run on my own before meeting the buddies) and ran 'fast'. I'd forgotten how nice a short, fast run can feel!!! Unfortunately, 60 year old running buddy was running the 6 miles with me afterwards and she won't let me slow down so I also ran those fast too - not so much fun.

I also wish my fourth toenail would just fall off and get on with it, it's driving me mad as every time I run now (without tape) it gets bruised again (remnants of my race 4 weeks ago). I would be worrying if this hadn't happened two years ago - then it fell off just in time for Disney (in the bathroom the night before). In any other forum that would be an odd post now wouldn't it!!!

Anyway, my packet still isn't here - the joy of airmail. I wonder how they're organising postage -you'd think alphabetically but then wouldn't our husband and wife team have got them together. And it can't be by entry date as I entered about 12.01am on entry day!!! Who knows what goes on in the world of the mouse.

Also, very upset as: Buzz Lightyears' Space Ranger Spin is in rehab throughout the whole of my trip. I'm very disappointed as this is the only time ever I beat my boyfriend at any kind of 'computer' game -thanks to some sneaky tips I picked up on this board that I have never, ever shared with him - and never will as it bugs him so much that I win!!!

So, before I sign off: Craig, nice to have you back. Liz - ditto, and I'm thinking of you, Sunny, aha another person guilty of vanity surfing (I share my name with a famous silent film star and a homicide officer somewhere in the US!!). HAve a good thanksgiving all - nice short run for me this weekend, just the 14 miles!!!! Helen

littlegreydonkey said:
Also, very upset as: Buzz Lightyears' Space Ranger Spin is in rehab throughout the whole of my trip.

UUUGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Oh nooooooo. That is DS's absolute favorite ride. We usually hit is during off times and run laps through. He will be so disappointed. Now I'm curious as to how you cheat??????

Sunny

plutosmyfav said:
Plus, there is another someone with the same very unique name who has an "exotic" photography page of herself. That horrified me too, as I would hate for my online acquantences to think it was me.

Sunny

:rotfl: Sorry, Sunny, I just found that so funny! I don't blame you.

Helen, do you know the exact dates Buzz will be closed?

Just call me #26658 I finally got my packet, one step closer to the race. I can't believe I am this excited about having to wog 13.1 miles!!!! (and get up at 3:00 a.m. to do it :teeth:

My DS is going to be so upset about Buzz being closed , it is his favorite!

Sunny- how funny & mysterious

Honiebee-so sorry hope you get 100% soon!

Did 3 mile SR today. Pace without warmup was 14:26! :banana: And I felt great afterward. I remember a time when that would have killed my & wiped me out for a good part of the day.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!!!

I am still packet-free at this point :sad1: ! Thinking I should just drive up to WDW and pick the darn thing up. I haven't gotten the DVC planner yet either, so wondering if I should be concerned.

Here's a link to operational stuff for MK:
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wd...lendarRefurbishmentsListingPage&date=20060101

They don't list Buzz, but Allears is saying it will be closed Jan 4 to Feb 8.

Liz :grouphug: and :wizard: for your family.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you in my marathon family! :grouphug:

plutosmyfav said:
My real name is unique enough that if someone google's it, my WISH posts actually come back on the first page! I was horrified when I learned that and saw my WISH journal come up as number 2 on the list. I then went back and edited all my posts and started going by my online knickname, "Sunny". Plus, there is another someone with the same very unique name who has an "exotic" photography page of herself. That horrified me too, as I would hate for my online acquantences to think it was me.

So you'll just have to wait until we meet in Jan to find out ;)
spy.gif

Sunny

There are other ways of finding out. :cool: Took me less than 5 minutes. ;)

Btw, Sunny...I think you got tagged!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter