Wk of Mar 26--2007 WISH Walking/Running Club

Hi everyone,

I just had to pop in with a quick post:

Cam - Have a wonderful time in the World!!!!

We will be there definitely in July for a week and maybe in May for a weekend. (See my post on the resort thread about this if anyone has a chance) http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1066883

Dave - I love the Wish socks!!!!!

GoofyGuy - :welcome: You truly will not find a better more encouraging group of people. Advise is always welcome!!!!

Okay gotta go. Hope to check back in later.

::MinnieMo

Good morning all!!

Wow, look what happens when you miss a few days!! :teeth:

Disneefun-- I agree with everyone else-- go with the full!!

Liz-- Sorry about your car troubles. :guilty: Been there, done that for sure.

Kim-- :welcome: I LOVE Turkey. I spent two weeks vacationing there in 2001 and it was just incredible!

Scott-- Congrats on the %K... great time!! I find myself doing that a lot too... if I know I am going to be close to a 5, 10 or 15K I'll up my mileage to get a nice round number. Every little bit helps I figure.

Cam-- What a cool article! You must be so proud!

Chimera-- My next race plan.... hmmm. I don't know. I was due to run a 5K at the end of April, but that turned out to be a busy work day. I would like to get a race in now that Basketball is finally done, but it's just not working out. May is tough.... one of those "we might be on the road with work" periods, right up through early June. I want to do a half-marathon as a training run July 4th weekend. I'm looking for a "real" summer race... but of course there appear to be none in the midwest :(

Your post about your Minnie dining plans also reminded me that this year we are going to have to get our reservations in earlier.... I believe the window this year opens in July (180 days out)!!!

So, do you think I've been running?? Of course I haven't!! :rolleyes: But it's because I'm a good human being. :teeth: First, my roomate is sick and is the BIGGEST BABY in the whole wide world when he's sick. So I've been playing Florence Nightengale for the past two days. Then I was on my way out the door to run yesterday when the phone rang. I was the Newfoundland (dog) Rescue group I'm a member of. "Can you foster a dog for a couple weeks??" :dog2: We did this with an 8 year old Newfie last fall for three months-- a Katrina orphan we were able to get back to his owner in mid-December. So of course I am a big softie and say yes. They dropped off.... a 3 month old puppy. :lovestruc So last night was spent playing with the puppy.. and trying to make sure that our two boys didn't get too rough with him (and caretaking the still sick roomate... :rolleyes: )

Today, I WILL run. It's gorgeous outside. I don't know how long I'll go, but I WILL get out there and run.

OK, got to dash-
Happy Training all!
Kevin (Solotraveler) :earsboy:

Good morning everyone! :flower1:

I did my usual 45 min @ 3.8 @ 1% this morning. :teeth:

I have been giving this some thought....I know it's so beautiful out and probably many of you are wondering why I haven't gotten off that TM yet and walked outside. I was also wondering the same thing. I also realize my need to train on pavement, as that is what I will be doing the Half on. However, I've found I really enjoy the structure that getting up early and getting on the TM gives me. It starts my day off on a positive note, and I love accomplishing so much before even 6am. Plus, I really love watching movies and I never get to, so this also serves that purpose. I also know that if I try to train after work, when it's light enough, well, that will just never happen. I tried that for years and never stuck to it. So by getting up before dawn and getting on the TM, I KNOW it will get done. It's a habit now. And a happy one.

So, my plan is this.... We have a two mile loop road here at work. A lot of people walk it at lunchtime. I did all last summer too. I can do two laps at lunchtime, most days of the week. Plus on the weekends I can do my LW on the roads. How's that sound? This way I can still do my TM workout PLUS a walk at lunchtime. I think I like this plan. Plus walking at lunchtime gets me out of this office and into the sun for a bit.

Krista - Sounds like you should stick with the Nikes. Better go shopping right away! :teeth:

Cam - :hug: for the burnout. I know what you need. You need to go to Disney World! YAY! I hope you have a fabulous time and I expect a detailed trip report as soon as you get back. :dumbo: Enjoyed the article on Suessical and the picture of DS! Looks like a really fun show!

GoofyGuy
- Welcome! :welcome: We can always use more expert advice! I certainly depend on it. I have learned a tremendous amount here.

Amy - Thank you for all the :wizard: . You really are so sweet! I had my ENT appt yesterday. He said it was most likely an inner ear pressure issue. He had me stop all the meds YAY except for the one that sends me to the LR every 20 minutes. Oh well, only another few days of that one. So I'm doing well! Thanks in part I am sure to all your PD! Sorry you aren't feeling so great, though. pixiedust: back at cha!

Mel - I always wondered about that. Did the TM come to an abrupt stop? Our power goes out often but so far not while I was on the TM.

Jackie - Aww! I think that's so sweet! :blush:

Liz - Oh I think I missed the car posts! But :hug: to you cause it sounds like you need it. Remember that saying..."If it has tires or...you-know-what, it's going to give you trouble!"

Minnie - Hey, hi! :wave:

Kevin - What a great person you are for fostering! A Newfie puppy! What fun! How about a pic???? :teeth:

Off to pretend like I am working.... :surfweb:

Judy

I'm such a big baby! Since phil went our of town, I loaded up the boy, the kayaks, the jogger and the bikes and went to my parents!!! The boy rode in the jogger this a.m. while i walked w/ my dad and his friend. we averaged aprx. 14mpm. for 4.5 miles. My parents don't have high speed internet UGH. I'm having trouble keeping up w/ my virtual friends.

Dave - the socks kick booty. i love them!!!

cam - have fun!

Krista - keep us posted on the knee/shorts saga!

Judy - I'm like you, i have a really hard time changing my routine.

mel - if the pwr flickered while i was running on the tm, i would have hit the deck!!! You must be pretty coordinated!

ok-better go, the boy is getting impatient! (and we are meeting my mom for lunch) I'm such a bum!

Good Afternoon!

Just checking in with the TEAM! No confessions of blown off workouts today. Since my first 5K, i have experienced some heel/foot pain. So, I have taken to the rowing machine at the gym. I just love it. I have done some easy walks outside as well. The pain seems to be improving. I would say that I have gotten in 3 workouts a week. Since I have major scheduling conflicts due to my dkids, I am happy with this for now.

GoofyGuy - Welcome! As a new runner/walker, I value any advice I can get my hands on. BTW, I am also a nurse. There are a few of us here. I think we also have some PA's and an student MD.

Judy -I too had some waining enthusiasm until I ran my 5K. It has really helped me get back on track.

MelR - your race report was awesome!

Dave - I love reading your posts. I can feel your motivation. I too just ordered my Garmin 201, I just couldn't pass up the price. It will be a great training tool now that I am seeing spring around here and I can head outside. I can't wait to try it out.

Cam - you have talented kids!

Jodi - your training is amazing, I am tired just reading about it.

Jackie - I know exactly what you mean. I know that when I head to Disney next January, I won't be alone - even if my family isn't able to join me.

Liz - what a bummer about your car! very glad you were not on your way to Ohio when it happened.

To all those doing the Columbus Distance Classic - :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

I have missed most of the TEAM. Way to hard to keep up these days. Our group is huge!

May we all have beautiful weather to enjoy very soon! :wizard:
Happy Spring,
Maggie

I don't feel like working!!! Anyone out there want to play?
Originally posted by magslite: Dave - I love reading your posts. I can feel your motivation. I too just ordered my Garmin 201, I just couldn't pass up the price. It will be a great training tool now that I am seeing spring around here and I can head outside. I can't wait to try it out.
Maggie - that was such a nice thing to say. This group really has been motivating to me. I really do attribute this TEAM to helping me stick with it this far. If my shins hold up, I think I can really get this third wave of running to stick. Have fun with your Garmin. I can't wait to get mine.

MelR - it's great you have your parents so close by that you can pack up and go visit so quickly. Sounds like your body needs a break. I hope things work out for your 50 miler.

Judy - do you know anything more with your MRI? My DW had some trouble with vertigo, but it eventually just went away. And you know, I never thought twice about you sticking with your TM routine. You gotta do what works for YOU! And it sounds like you have a great routine going. You've got a plan that works for you, you get your exercise and your steps in, and that's all that matters. Don't worry about what other people think.

Krista - good luck with your shorts. I agree that you should go with the Nike shorts. I'm sure you could get a nice pair of Steeler socks. Hey I had a thought for someone the Steelers should pick up in free agency - LaVar Arrington the LB from the Redskins. He's a Pittsburgh native - went to Woodland Hills High School just down the road from where I went to high school, and he went to Penn State. A LB like that would fit really well into the Steeler defense. That would be AWESOME!

Beth - great job on your exercise bike workout! :thumbsup2

Scott - congrats on your 5K, and congrats on getting into the Peachtree 10K. That will be cool to run in such a big race. Good practice for the Disney races.

goofyguy1958 - Welcome! :welcome: Advice and support are always appreciated. it's nice to have another experienced runner here.

Sunny - I hope work is going well for you these days. Good luck with everything. I picked up an issue of Runner's World this month, and noticed that had an article on relays in it. They mentioned the New Hampshire relay in it alot - sounds like it's a pretty cool race. Hope the team works out.

OK, I should do some work now.

Dave- I love the socks too! Too bad we can't get them in time for the Minnie.

Cam-have a wonderful trip. :sunny:

today was xt so I went swimming. Havent been in a couple of weeks & boy could I tell. I only did 600 yds & it was tough. :crazy: Tomorrow is my LR of 7 miles & I hope to beat the rain.

Hey everyone! Hope you all are having a great Thursday! ;)

Last night I had a good run - 3.5 miles. This morning was supposed to be a swim lesson, but my coach had to guard at one of the lakes, so I just did a long swim. I did three long sets of 100, 400, and 1000 yrds - woo-hoo - by far my longest at one time. :banana: I also did a good bit of drills and slow technique work in between the longer sets, so a total of 80 minutes in the pool. DH had the day off so I was able to get in a 9 mile bike ride this afternoon. I'm starting to feel good about the triathlon - yea! Tomorrow will be another swim/bike day, and a 9 mile run scheduled for Saturday.

Maggie - hope your foot gets better soon! I used to do the rowing machine at the gym while in college - it was awesome! Glad you like it! :thumbsup2

Melissa - great job on the walk - enjoy being at the parents!

Judy - I think your plan is a good one! The treadmill is not my friend, but I understand wanting the structure (and the movies). :goodvibes

Kevin - YEA for fostering!!! I would have to stay and play with the puppy instead of running, too! :teeth:

Minnie - How are things going for you? By the way, I would vote to also go in May - the flower/garden show is beautiful!!! :flower1:

Dave - I LOVE the socks!!! :thumbsup2

Cam - Hope you are having a wonderful time!!!!!

Amy - Feel better soon!!! I have a sore throat, too. My thinking is that as long as I'm not coughing and don't have a fever, it's okay to run. You have to listen to your body, though! Hugs!

Krista - Love the cross training!!! ;)

Jodi - Enjoy your long weekend! I have WW tonight too - let's hope for great reports for both of us!!! :cool1:

Liz - So sorry to hear about the car and no Columbus! :grouphug:

Jackie - I love the mushy stuff! ;) And I can't wait to see everyone at Minnie in just a few weeks!!!

Terri - So glad you had a good trip! And great job getting the workouts in while travelling!

Mel - Sorry to hear about the power flicker - I would have been on the floor if that happened to me! :blush:

Time to get ready for work - I'll check in with you all later! :wave2:

--Lynnda

TiffJ said:
today was xt so I went swimming. Havent been in a couple of weeks & boy could I tell. I only did 600 yds & it was tough. :crazy: Tomorrow is my LR of 7 miles & I hope to beat the rain.

Tiff - You are doing awesome!!! When is your tri? (I was thinking ours were fairly close together.) Hope the rain holds off tomorrow for you! :thumbsup2

--Lynnda

Hey, where's andromeda'slove/Dana been? Dana, are you lurking out there? How's everything going in your life? I remember you had a lot going on in your world right now. How's the quitting smoking going? Hope you're doing well. Good luck with everything. Here's some PD... :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

Ya'll are just great! said with a verrry southern accent and accompanied with :grouphug:!! We may be a large group...good grief 75 and still growing??!!..but we do care!! :sunny:

Dave, good work with the socks! Their materials description sounds great! Hey, look at all of the guys..Paul, Scott, Kevin...

Judy, the only time I walk on the road is for my LWs, so that better work out! I think you will shock yourself when you hit the road and see you speed jump up! Something about that 1% incline.... I'm up to 3.6 for 60 minutes which is a 16.6 minute mile, but on the LWs I'm getting closer and closer to that 15 minute mark (15:18/5 miles!). MelR is pushing a stroller and walking with her dad..and still gets at 14 min mile..siiiggghhhhhh :rolleyes:

Cam, have a magical time :wizard:
TiffJ, 5 more weeks ::MinnieMo!! or at least until we are packing...
Claire, 2 more weeks for CCC!!

Everyone's talk about shopping got me out to check out Target :moped: . I did walk away lighter in the checkbook area, and with some warm weather walking clothes! :crazy:

We have our 10 miler this weekend. Had to push it to this weekend due to anniversary plans last weekend. Will be thinking of all of the Columbus Distance people. Anyone else have races this weekend?

DH is concerned that I'm not training hard enough for the Minnie 5k - can't imagine why, since I'd never run until Feb 12 when I decided it was a good reason to plan a trip to WDW. So tonight I went out and did a 4 mile wog in 52 minutes, just to prove to him that I'm going to be okay! Nothing motivates me more than him questioning whether or not I can do it... Today is the first time I've run more than 3 miles since I started, so I'm very happy that I actually finished and could still walk.

Judy - I totally understand the morning routine. Even before I started running, I'd been doing a morning workout for the past year or so, and I can so tell the difference at work when I skip it. If I know I'm running in the afternoon, I still have to do a short workout in the AM just to get going.

Kevin - Way to go being a foster parent. DD LOVES Newfies - I told her she has to wait till she has her own place to have one - our 50lb lab/chow is big enough for me. But I would have skipped the run and played with the puppy too!

Amy - Feel better soon! You're having a really rough time of it this month!

Mel - Can't imagine being on the TM when the power went out. Our power has been flaky for the past few weeks, but the worst so far was having to go to work with wet hair when the transformer blew after I got out of the shower. Come paint my house when you're finished?

Dave - The socks are great. I'm wishing I was doing the marathon so I could wear the socks!

Cam - Envying you this weekend. Hope you have a great time and your daughter and her band have a wonderful experience!

Jackie

Dave - I also love the socks!

Cam - have a great time in the World!

I wogged 3 miles today in 42.xx (garmin is in the kitchen and I am too lazy to get up now). I am definately coming down with something and felt crappy for the first mile. I got better as time worn on, but feel really crappy now. Debating calling out sick tomorrow, I think I am getting this sore throat thing that is going around...but I digress!

I wanted to ask you experts a couple questions:

1. My feet always go numb and tingly while walking/running. I even tied my shoes looser today - it was better, but still got alot of that tingly feeling going on. I got fitted for these running shoes 1-2 weeks ago at a very reputable running store. I really don't think it's the shoes. I think it's my narrow feet. I think I have to tie the shoes tighter to keep my heel in place - therefore cutting off some circulation. Anyone else have this problem?

2. Do any of you have problems with your hands swelling to enormous proportions? Mine get so bad, I have a hard time bending them into a fist and they are very uncomfortable. I know I've always had bad circulation, but this is ridiculous. I do have lymphodema (swelling condition) in my left arm, but both hands swell equally (if anything, the "normal" hand gets bigger), so I know it's not that. And as soon as I finish, the swelling goes right down. It's just plain weird, IMO.

crzy4pooh said:
Last night I had a good run - 3.5 miles. This morning was supposed to be a swim lesson, but my coach had to guard at one of the lakes, so I just did a long swim. I did three long sets of 100, 400, and 1000 yrds - woo-hoo - by far my longest at one time. :banana: I also did a good bit of drills and slow technique work in between the longer sets, so a total of 80 minutes in the pool. DH had the day off so I was able to get in a 9 mile bike ride this afternoon. I'm starting to feel good about the triathlon - yea! Tomorrow will be another swim/bike day, and a 9 mile run scheduled for Saturday.

Jodi - Enjoy your long weekend! I have WW tonight too - let's hope for great reports for both of us!!! :cool1:

--Lynnda

Hi Lynnda,

Great job on the 3.5 run, I'm hoping to get out there tomorrow and run - it is supposed be another very warm day. God, I wish I could swim....I never really learned.

How did you do at your weigh in? I stayed at the same weight - I guess that's ok.....at least I didn't gain. :thumbsup2

Jodi: Thanks for the info on the half marathon! I used to live up in Mystic CT, so I was hoping the race would be up there so I could incorporate it into a visit with my friends. I think I found 2 half marathons down here in NJ (one at the beach and one with views of the Statue of Liberty). Both sound cool!!!

Oh - you're welcome! Mystic is beautiful - do you ever miss it? That's great you found a half marathon close to you. I was hoping to find a closer one also........We live closer to New Haven - Hartford is quite a drive.

Jodi - I don't mind the suggestion at all. I really want these to be our TEAM socks, and I'm hoping a bunch of us will really like them and want to get them and race in them as our team. I figured the design was a first step, and I didn't make it so I don't have any emotion invested in it. I'll ask about the feather in the heel area and penguins as the rest of the print. Maybe we could have a feather coming up from the heel like it's coming out of our shoe or something?

Thanks Dave! I only mentioned it because someone had mentioned about how you were going to work in the penguins.....Hey, once the design is in place, how much will the socks be? Is it more expensive to have them custom made? Very exciting - having custom socks! Maybe I will get more than one set.......It would be cool to put in a shadow box (I will be putting one together after then marathon), with all of pictures of all of the WISH people. Is it bad that I'm already thinking about that? :teeth:

Okay, I've been quite chatty today (have no idea why)......I will check in on everyone tomorrow. :wave2:

Jodi

Hey all. Not much to report. Last night I did 30 in the treadmill and today I was able to run to the Y at lunch and did 30 of cross training. I feel kind of slacky lately, but I just don't have the time.

Judy - If the TM works, then keep it up. I am faster on the road than on the treadmill, but I agree that sometimes it is just more convenient. At least you are getting your minutes in!!

Dave - I LOVE SOCKS! I have a ton of funky socks and love to wear them to work. I always get the look!!! I like the design also. I am kind of novice and not sure what the feather means (I know the penguin).

Mel - I would have been laying on the floor if the power went out on me. I fell off the back once just because my DD talked to me and I lost my concentration. Seems I can't TM and talk at the same time! :confused3

Kristie - I have both of the tingling and swelling probs you mentioned. My hands get HUGE. I actually decided not to wear my wedding ring in the last marathon b/c it feels so gross when they swell. I don't know why. They are worse when I walk long distances b/c my arms are lower and not pumping as much. They still swell when I run (especially when it is hot) I actually put them up in the air when I run sometimes so I look like someone has just said stick um up!!! As far as the feet thing, mine do that when I'm having some probs in my sacro-illiac area. If it is your shoes or feet size and tight tieing, there is a tieing technique where you use those top 2 lace holes to pull the shoes tighter in the heels. I can't descibe it very well, but they should be able to show you where you bought your shoes. If not, I'll bet you can find an illustration on the internet. Good luck!!

jodistar said:
Hi Lynnda,

Great job on the 3.5 run, I'm hoping to get out there tomorrow and run - it is supposed be another very warm day. God, I wish I could swim....I never really learned.

How did you do at your weigh in? I stayed at the same weight - I guess that's ok.....at least I didn't gain. :thumbsup2

Yea for not gaining!!!! :cool1: I lost 1.5 this week. I'm happy, but I always wish it was more! ;) We can do this - next week will be awesome!

As for the swimming, I started taking lessons in January at our community pool - it's $10 each week. I could swim okay, but certainly not with actual form or proper technique. Really, I could only swim under water or doggie paddle... :lmao: It's amazing what a little coaching can do. If you are interested, you could check out your local parks/recreation group.

Hope you have a great run tomorrow!!!

--Lynnda

Wow I can't believe its almost the end of another week. This week went by pretty quick probably because my mom is down and she always has to go go go. LOL
I haven't gotten a chance to even read this post sorry. But I am moving along with my training. I have my first 5k next Saturday so I need to keep my training up. I have started to cross train by riding my bike. I am comfortable now with jogging 2 miles taking walk breaks and actually yesterday I did 2 miles in 18:58 (that was actual walk time since I had to wait for the draw bridge to go up and then down before I could continue. I am going to do 3 miles tomorrow if I get up early enough. Oh well I need to get to bed hope to be able to catch up on everything soon but this week isn't good (its also the busiest week at work since I work in Accounts Payable and its end of month) To everyone one who has a race this weekend good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter