Wk of Mar 26--2007 WISH Walking/Running Club

Hi Everyone,

I must say im a little lost/overwhelmed with all the post and information here. I am new to the board and I am looking to become part of the walking/running club. How do I go about that.

Thank You

Kim

Good Morning Everyone: :surfweb:

I ran outside again yesterday. It felt a lot better than Monday's run. I did almost 3 miles on my loop around the Mt Hope Cemetery. Whew, there's some big hills in there. I don't know what my time was because the stopwatch I snitched from the lab got bumped and shut off. After I read through these posts, I'm going to order my Garmin.
WDW offered to let us rent some special room in Norway for our large group dining We could also do an Illuminations dessert party How's your training for the Minnie going?
Mel - I saw the information on the Illuminations dessert party on the packet of stuff you e-mailed me. It sounded like a lot of fun, and might be a fun place to have a WISH gathering in January. I hope your DD is doing well.

Kathy/NYcpa - here's some PD :wizard: :wizard: for your foot. Yes, it does seem like spring has spring around here. It feels great doesn't it? I've run outside the past 2 days, and I'm looking forward to the upper 60 degree temperatures starting on Friday. Hey, so I was considering bringing the family out to your area at the end of the month for the Mountain Goat Run in Syracuse April 30th. My princesses, DD5 princess: and DD8 princess:, are interested in doing the kids run, and I thought it might be a fun family outing. The princesses princess: princess: are training for it now. It's pretty cute.

Liz - I'm so glad your new job is working out well so far. Here's a lot of PD :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: for you to feel better, for your car to feel better, and for you to get over your bout of the blues. I hope a good night sleep helps you.

Kim10110 - Welcome :wave2: :welcome: Don't get too overwhelmed here. It's a good group, and everyone is so, so supportive. Good luck as you begin your journey.

Dave-you will LOVE your Garmin :lovestruc WTG on the run!

Mel-training for the Minnie is going great. It is finally warming up here which makes being outside great. (except now the pollen is driving me nuts) I am so excited about this trip & counting down the days. I cant wait to get there & see everyone. Hope your foot gets better quick :wizard:

Cam-have a magical trip :tink:

Kim-yes, we are a chatty group. But that's what makes it so cool here. We all support each other in training & what ever else you need. Stop by often & join in the conversations. Let us know how your training is going & what you are training for. Good luck!

Disneefun-I'd go for the full too. I still have that tiny thought in the back of my head but not sure if I can get back in Jan or commit the training time to it. You already know you can do it, so just go & have fun with it!

Liz-that is great about your job, not great about your car. Hope you can get it fixed without using too much of your new paycheck :teeth:

Amy-WTG :cool1: you are rockin'!

Yesterday was xt so I did the 3 mi WATP tape. Boy could I feel that I had increased my thigh reps from the day before. Today is beautiful & am going wogging & ST after I drop DS5 off at preschool.

Have a great day everyon :sunny:

Morning Everyone,

Well, yesterday I followed my plan and did my 5 miles on the threadmill (I prefer the road - but it was getting late). I'm still having that problem with my stomach tightening.....not totally sure why :confused3 - It's really starting to get me down.

Tonight I will probably do some pilates not sure if I will do Winsor Pilates or the other Pilates that works with the BOSU.

Thursday is weigh in again - I hope that I'm still keeping steady with the weight loss - I have no idea what I weigh, until I go in to the meeting. I know someone asked if I was Lifetime (last week - can't remember who, and sorry I didn't get back to the answer). I am Lifetime but that is the weight watchers goal - my own personal goal is what I'm working at now......I want to get down to 115 or 110 - last weeks weigh in was 123.....so I'm getting very close :woohoo: .

This week it has been so beautiful out that one of the girls from work and I have been walking during lunch. Today, I brought my Garmin to see just how far we walk in a half hour. It doesn't seem like much but you never know.

Well, I'm going to run - I have to start work :rolleyes: . Have a great day everyone.....I will try and catch up on everyone later tonight.

Jodi

Oh - one more thing thank you to all that had answered my question about tapering yesterday......I didn't think I had to but I wanted to make sure that was correct.

I will be relaxing the day before the 5k and the day after.

I am not having a pleasant day. Warning: whine on!!! My dog was very, very bad this morning. He found some mud and I think rolled around in it because there was mud and mulch all over his paws, legs, stomach, chest, under his chin, and his back. I didn't discover this until I called him in so I could go to work. I tried to clean him off, but he doesn't like to be wiped off, so he was biting at the towel and knocking my hands away. I had to drag him across the carpet to get upstairs to our room where his crate is, so there is now mud and dirt on our carpet. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do tonight when I have to face him again and he’s still dirty. Has anyone read the book "Marley and Me"? I think Hines is worse than Marley.

So then I get to work, feeling a little better after my morning escapade, and one of my co-workers is coughing every 30 seconds. It's driving me insane. I know she can't help it, but I can't listen to her cough and blow her nose every 30 seconds until 5:00. I've been at work for an hour and I already have a splitting headache.

On a positive note, I had a great work out last night. I walked 3 miles in 39:34 and then I did some crunches and push-ups. You all aren't going to recognize me when you see me in January, I'm going to be so buff. ;) I tried out my ITBS band, my knee doesn't hurt when I walk, but I wanted to wear it to get used to it. I think finding the correct tightness is going to be a bout of trial and error. The first half mile or so, I had the band on so tight, that I think it was cutting off the circulation in my leg. I loosened it, and it started slipping down my knee. I just have to find a happy medium.

Melissa--Great race report and :woohoo: on your PR!!! Thanks for reassurance that Phil has had IT band problems in the past and doesn't have problems any more. Do you remember how long it took him to be "healed"? I told Stephen the other day that I think I'll never be able to run again because my knee will never get better. I've been doing my stretching and lifting weights. Crossing my fingers that I'll be okay.

Carrie--Glad that you had such a great weekend. I love weekends with my girls (my roommates in college), it's awesome to just get away from life for a little bit and regress back to my junior year in college. I remember thinking at the time how stressful college was and now I laugh--college was the best and least stressful 4 years of my life. Have you been able to get out there and run?

Cam--Have a great weekend in Disney!!! As long as you are doing some strength training, can you eat a kringla for me?? :thumbsup2

Sunny--How are you doing?

Dave--It's time to get a Garmin!!

Kim10110--Welcome!!!! I think you make the 3rd Kim we have here! :teeth:

Amy and Mel--Did you watch American Idol last night? What was that? That was the worse show by far!!

Helen--Stay safe!!

Who is the New Kids on the Block fan? Dana? I LOVE the New Kids on the Block, I have them on my mp3 player and I listen to them all the time. You can call me Mrs. Joey McIntyre. :lovestruc :lovestruc

I'll just say :wave2: to everyone that I missed. Our group is getting quite large!

My Aleve is starting to kick in so maybe this won't be such a bad day after all.

I did it! I ordered my Garmin Forerunner 201!!! I really wanted to go with Kim's store here in Rochester, but I just couldn't pass up the amazon.com price with no shipping or taxes. I promised Kim I would buy my next piece of equipment from Medved. I really do like to support the local economy, but it's hard to balance the desire to do that with the desire to also save money in your wallet.

So I want to do the full, but know the half would be the safe choice. What to do...
Disneefun: Do the full... do the full... maybe we can run together. Seriously, if you know you can do the half, then it's not much challenge or motivation for you. If you're going to go to the trouble of getting down to WDW in Jan, might as well do the full. I think you will get more of a sense of accomplishiment, and make those last few training days on the cruise worthwhile.

Krista - I think his problems started off and on in april of last yr. He had trouble during an adventure race in oct. and nov. and then started the additoinal stretches and lifting (he also ran a little) He did a big adv. race in feb and had no IT probs. at all. He didn't have IT probs during the marathon either. I think one other thing he does is concentrate on how his foot strikes to keep it from hurting. Sorry about hines. Huck used to do the same thing!!! The worst is when they go running around outside (due to an unforseen escape) and roll in poop or some kind of plant fertilizer that has poop iin it!!! Huck did that alot. It was more than i could bear!!!!

OK, me too, whine on!!!!! I have a bladder infection (OUCH) I just took the boy to preschool today instead of going to bible study. In addition, phil left town this morning. I think i'm going to be a total weenie and go to my parents' house until phil gets back. that way i'll have some extra sets of eyes on the boy and i can get out and play if i can start feeling better!

In addition, some circumstances may keep me from attempting the 50miler!!!!! I'm really bummed about that. I have another week to decide, but it's not looking good. the bad thing is that i don't think i'll ever be this trained again in my life. I did goofy in Jan, a 50k(31.7miles) in feb, cowtown marathon in feb, and hogeye marathon in march. that is NEVER going to happen again!

WHHHHAAAAAAAAAA!!

OK, now I'm done!! :)

Kim10110 said:
Hi Everyone,

I must say im a little lost/overwhelmed with all the post and information here. I am new to the board and I am looking to become part of the walking/running club. How do I go about that.

Thank You

Kim
Kim! Welcome, you just joined us!!! (good luck hiding from us now! ;) ) I get overwhelmed with everyone too and I've been here since last January. My advice? Start telling us about yourself and your workouts. When you get comfortable or feel you have something to help someone else, chime right in. DOn't worry about keeping up with everyone, though.

Mel - Mom and dad are doing great! Dad's recovering well and regaining feeling in hands and feet. Don't talk to them much, though as they are always running around. I did tell them to have an eclair at Two Jays for me, though. The classic is when they asked how our weather was. I told my mom it was nice becaus ethe sun was out and it was almost 40 degrees. Dad comes on and says, "I'm glad it's nice,m what's the temp?" I told him. he replies, "Oh, and we were upset that it's getting down to 56 tonight."

Hope your foot gets better soon! At least you can get quick access to help at work. DOn't worry about that 20-miler, you only have to do it once. Plus, for you it's half a day, for us, it was a weeknd in GA! :p

Kathy - So sorry about your foot! You know you are invaluable as a cheering section though, right? Glad to hear Erin adn Lynne are doing well! Tell Eirn we need to hear more about this bf! ;)

Cam - Have a wonderful trip! Oh how I'd love to be Disneying with you!

Dave - Did you order that Garmin yet?

Krista - :wizard: that your day gets better! One of those wish I could crawl back in bed days. WHine on!

I did get out last night and boy could I feel my time off! I'm kind of depressed, but hoping it's just that I'm back to my weekday runs being blah.

OK, not sure if my day just got better or worse. Co-worker just walked in with Latte's and eclairs, There goes my eating healthy!

OK, last time I talk about my scrapbook, I promise. First, I am by no means caught up with my pics, but I do what's current so I see progress. FOr all of you who want to catch up, do your marathon. The motivation fo rcompleting that will help get you on track again.

ANyway, I pltted out all of the logs fro all of our runs and all of the maps from our Saturday runs. Holy cow is it fun to look at how far we came! It's amazing how much you remeber oabout the runs when you look at the map too. So, Dave, have you gotten that Garmin yet?? ;)

chimera said:
For those of you that have done halves vs fulls...what's the difference like? Do you feel much different after a full (with appropriate training) vs a half? I'd like to be faster before I attempt a full...right now a 20 mile LR would take me half the day, but I'm really thinking about it.

For me, the biggest difference between the half and a full is that I remember all of a half...just kidding!

When you are training for a full, you routinely go farther (further?) than a half during your training. As your mileage increases you will probably get at least 6 workouts longer than 13.1 miles under your belt before the full. I am going a little bit from memory here because I do not have my copy of MFM in front of me.

I do not want to diminish anyone's half-marathon journey or experience by giving the impression that a half is easy...it is still a challenge and anyone who tackles this challenge is worthy of applause :cheer2: . For me personally, there is a world of difference in the feeling of satisfaction of completing a full than a half. The key truly is making sure that you train appropriately.

If you decide to do the full, there will be plenty of people to help you along the way. And it is easier to change your training from a full program to a half-marathon program than vice-versa. You CAN do it!! :thumbsup2

Quick update from the world of ScoJo:

Decided to run the "ScoJo 5k" Monday night...I was scheduled for a 32 minute 3w/1r, seeing how I did 3 miles in around 33 minutes on Saturday I figured I'd just do the 3 mile since it was so close to 32 minutes anyway. I have a very hilly course and completed it in just over 35 minutes so I was very pleased. I also increased the level of difficulty during my elliptical workout on Tuesday so I covered less miles but had a better, more intense 30 minute workout. And...

I'm running the Peachtree 10k!! My check cleared this morning so it is official! I never ever thought I'd be excited to run over 6 miles but I'm pretty stoked! Today is an off day so I'll work on abs tonight while watching the American Idol results & Lost.

Thanks for the kind "welcomes" from everyone! This board moves so quick that it will take me a while to get to know some of you....

Krista: ITA American Idol STUNK last night. I can honestly say that I didn't really LOVE any of the performances. I was really shocked? :confused3 And wtg on your walk and xt! :cool1:

Dave: SOOOO jealous that you got your Garmin. I'm still waiting to "earn" mine with my first 5 miler! Not sure I can make it. Perhaps I deserve one after my first 4 miler ;)

Scott: Great job on your hilly run :thumbsup2 . You're doing great! And congrats on officially signing up for the 10K!

Mel: Pixie dust to you...sure hope you're feeling better soon :(.

Just got back from KBX....GREAT class today. I really felt good and kicked booty! Not literally....but I stayed high intensity the entire class :woohoo:

Amy - Spending money helps the motivation process! ;)

HI everyone and thank you so much for all of you welcoming me and making me feel comfortable here. Well, to give you a little background I am in the military in the AF. I live in Turkey I have been here for 11 months and I have 4 months left here. I am getting remarried in Aug at shades of green resort. Me and my husband got married here in turkey and we have no idea what they said but we have a marriage certificate :) well I think it is, its all in Turkish :). I run but not as much as I like and I love kickboxing. I try to go a few times a week but it has been more like 2ce a week lately. Before here I was stationed in Alaska which was nice for working out. I move to cali in Aug and cant wait to join some running groups and get ready to try for a half marathon or a full. Well sorry for rambling on but now you know a little about me :) Talk to you all soon

Good morning and Happy spring! It really feels like it here today! :goodvibes

Yesterday I did my usual 45 min @ 3.8 @ 1%. It went well. Today is a rest day so I slept until 6:00. That went well too. :rotfl2:

I had my MRI yesterday. I spent an hour and a half in that machine. They did give me a break to go to the LR about midway thru. I just didn't open my eyes the whole time. I might have been OK except for the Hanibal Lechter mask they made me wear. THAT freaked me out. I felt like my head was really restrained, which I gues it was, so that made me nervous. I should know the results on Friday. Quite frankly, now I feel fine, so hopefully whatever it was has cleared up.

Thank you to everyone who had comments ans suggestions on my lack of motivation. I'me feeling more in the groove now, so let's just write it off to PMS or too long a winter or something. I haven't yet bought something running related but I've been browsing. Even that helped! :teeth:

And whatever I did to my knees, well, now they feel better. I wonder if I just didn't over do it by adding the bike and lunges. I think I will phase one or the other back in slowly and see what happens.

But...enough about me. :smooth:

Dave.... :blush: I'm glad I can pass along some of the support I have gotten here. I got so much from everyone I have plenty to share! Isn't this group the best???

Lynnda - Thank you for the suggestions. :) I am looking for some local events. Plus yes, I have already paid for the WDW Half too so I can't back out!

Alright, off to do some "real" work now... :surfweb:

Judy

MelRhoads said:
Sunny - You could just take a picture of your bedroom curtain rod and put it in a scrapbook!! This would save time and it would be complete! :rotfl2: :lmao: Whad ya think?

That's a great idea! I could also take a photo of the shoe boxes filled with photos and stick it in a photo album and be done with that job, too. Leave it to my running buddies to come up with great time saving tips ;) :lmao:

I did 5.25 miles last night. It was hard but I felt great when I was done. I guess sometimes that's all you can expect from a run.

Sunny

Melissa--It's funny that you should mention foot strikes because I've been wondering if some of my running shorts are the problem. I have about 6 or 7 pairs of running shorts: 2 Nike pair that I absolutely love and the rest are New Balance and Adidas. It seems to me that the New Balance and Adidas shorts tend to be cut narrower (narrowor?? :confused3 ) than the Nike shorts and ride up really weird when I run (sorry to be so blunt). Whenever I wear them, I feel myself running differently to either prevent the riding or I'm trying to get them to come back down. It seems ever since I've had this IT band problem, when I try running, I'm either wearing the NB or Adidas shorts, I'm running differently and therefore my knee hurts. Does that make any sense?? Am I grasping at straws?? For the record, my Nike shorts stay put and don't ride, at least one pair do, the other pair are quite short and to be honest, they have no place to go! :lmao: Maybe I just need to chuck all of my other running shorts and just stick with the Nikes. Anyone want to go on a shopping spree with me?? :teeth:

Amy--Awesome job on your kick boxing class!! That sounds like it's quite the workout. Remind me never to start an argument with you!!

Kim10110--Ramble on all you like! You'll find that we're a talkative bunch. ;) Congrats on your marriage!

Judy-- :wizard: for your test results!

Scott--Sorry, I meant to say hi in my earlier post. Glad you're here.

I better get back to work!

Hi everyone. My life has been so busy lately. Yesterday I did get to the Y over lunch and did some work on the cross trainer. Hopefully tonight I can get a wog in. The weather here is finally in the 50's. I never thought it would come!

I was so excited this morning. Airfare rates went down and we were able to book a week in August to go to DL for the 50th celebration. We were starting to think it would never happen. The girls are going to be so excited. This will be our second time there. We will spend a couple days at DL and a couple days at other places and maybe the beach.

Krista - all my shorts ride up, but that because I am still chunky. I notice that when they start riding up, I do adjust my stride to try to fix them. Oh and what girl didn't like NKOTB. I was in HS in the 80's and they were so dreamy. Hangin' Tough!!!

Judy - Hope the MRI comes out A-OK. I would never be able to lay for that long. I am a busy body, it would drive me insane.

Mel - WOW on all the races you have done this year. Now that is inspiring. Hope all works out for your 50 miler. You sound so motivated to just keep it going.

Ohhh.... gotta run - HA, no pun intended!!! :lmao:

Hi, guys! Still no training here. Dismal results on the March exercise challenge, too, except for however many hours I can log on Friday in MK. UGH! Can't WAIT until tomorrow at 3 when I am out of here. Can you say "burnt-out"?

Krista -- I bet your theory on the shorts is not at far-fetched as you might think!

Okay, for anyone who is interested, here is the link to an article about DS's play:
Seussical Article

I hope it works!

Too cool Cam! That looks so fun!!! Thanks for the link! Have a GREAT trip! You deserve it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter