Wk of Mar 26--2007 WISH Walking/Running Club

i'm just jumping in here -- i think it may take me all year to catch up on the chit-chat with this group :)

i registered for the WDW 1/2 last night -- it's official!

lily! you didn't post that tidbit on skipping out of your 5 miles on the columbus thread! tehehe -- actually i did the 5 mile WATP with mom on sunday and figured that would do!

Morning Everyone,

I still have to catch on posts from last night - last night was my rest night (I walked earlier in the day though). I ended up getting some much needed sleep last night. Feel a little bit better - the only thing that could make it better is if I had today off from work :teeth: .

I ended up bumping my goal up again for the Breast Cancer 5k, I made my goal again last night :teeth:. So now the goal is $200.00, I guess that's where it should have been in the first place :confused3 .

I just registered for a 1/2 Marathon in October (beginning of the month) - I'm hoping that I will learn how to pace myself while in Disney with that and much practice with my Garmin. I mentioned the Garmin to my friend, Heather, who will be running both the half marathon in October with me and the Goofy Challenge with me in January, and now she is also going to buy a Garmin. My husband, Bob, has already mentioned to me that if I decide to get a more recent Garmin model that he would like to have my 101 - I thought that was kind of funny (especially since it was the first day out of the box).

Oh - question for all of you. Right now, I am following the Non-Runner's Marathon Guide.....I'm in the 4th week of training but I was thinking about the upcoming 5k, do you also Taper for the 5k? I know a little bit of a stupid question but I thought I would ask anyway. By the week of the 5k, I should be on my 7th or 8th week of training. When I started this training I had no idea that I would register for such an event (I'm glad I did though).

Have a good day everyone!

Jodi

Mouse Skywalker said:
So, I think I lost my running watch. I ended up going for a walk yesterday instead of a run. My DW needed to get her hair done. So I took the princesses, DD5 princess: and DD8 princess:, out to exercise with me. I took them to the Genesee River Trail and they rode their bikes while I walked. We went for an hour and did a couple of miles. I was really impressed with their biking - especially my 5yo. To be honest, I didn't feel much like running yesterday. My shins were sore from Saturday's run, and I think I had a little stomach bug (found that out later in the day). Anyhow, I took the princesses, princess: princess:, out to lunch after we exercised, and I think I left my running watch in the restaurant. Hmmm, maybe I need to get that Garmin now. Is that a sign? Kim do you have the Garmin 201 at Medved? I may have a reason to stop in now. Although the sale price at amazon.com is looking pretty good.

I guess you will just have to get that Garmin :woohoo:

Wow our group is getting huge! That's great. Next year we'll have to rent out the convention center for a WISH meet :goodvibes

Yesterdays SR was great!!! I did 3.6 total but the .6 was warm up/cool down. So for the 3 miles of my actual training run I did a 13.12 pace :cool1: :cheer2: And it felt great. Yesterday was a beautiful day so that helped too. Also did ST at the gym. Starting to feel the pressure of leaving in 5 weeks, 3 days (not that I'm counting :) ) Today is xt.

Dave-mushy stuff is o.k. here. I would have never gotten to the point I'm at either without this group. Not only did they get me through the 1/2 but now the Minnie, a tri & DL 1/2. This is so atypical for me. I have always been anti-athletic (some would call it athletically challenged) not lazy in the work sense but lazy in the exercise sense. You are doing great, keep up the good work.

Cam-good luck getting everything done. I love going out of town but I know how crazy it is the few days before leaving.

Lily-have fun during your taper and good luck on the Columbus 1/2 :cheer2:

Scott-Welcome!! I'm glad to see another southerner here. I'm orig. from Atl. and grew up with my mom doing the Peachtree. She wants us to do it next year so maybe I'll see you there.

Judy-it is hard to maintain motivation with your goal so far off. Maybe you should schedule some smaller races to have something to look forward to.

Dave - You call that mushy?? Just wait until the last month before the marathon. ;)

jodi - I don't really think a taper is necessary for teh 5K as it should be about in line with teh distacnces you are training at. You probably don't want to push tooo hard in your work outs before and after, but I sdon't really think you need to taper. Good luck!!

The work and illness stars have finally aligned and I can get out again tonight!!! I don't have a clue what we're scheduled to do , but it's supposed to get almost to 50 today, so it should be a great evenign to run!!! I love not running in the dark anymore!!

I came home last night to find dh rifling through the marathon album. that maed my effort worthwhile! :goodvibes

Good morning, all! Not much time to post but wanted to respond to just a few things:

Dave -- I am thinking you need a Garmin, kiddo!

Heather -- Thanks for the offer to drag me off the curb. I knew I could count on you. :hug: The only problem is now you'll have to slow your pace to mine. Or you WILL have to double back. I am sure Howard will keep you company. Congrats on all your amazing bike training. I am in awe of you! I have a dear friend with MS (the one I went to WDW with last summer, as some of you will remember) and the biking events the organization sponsors are amazing fundraisers! However, I am not sure I am selfless enough to sleep in a tent on the ground after a hard day of riding!

Helen -- Your cyclone account is scary! I am glad to hear that you and yours are safe and sound. :grouphug:

Sunny -- 550 lbs!!! :eek:

Carrie -- As the lucky beneficiary of your motivation and talented scrapping skills, I can honestly say I'd LOVE to spend a weekend scrapping with you or just admiring your handiwork. I am so glad you are feeling better!

Judy -- Don't overdo, sweetie. Knees seem to be very susceptible to injury and you don't want your training to get derailed.

Well, I have done a big fat nothing the past several days. Just working on the program for Andy's musical, getting DD ready to leave for WDW tomorrow, working on a fast-moving case, and really, really looking forward to leaving Thursday night. The good thing is that I seem to be maintaining my weight even without working out, and I bought some great summer clothes last night in the smallest size I've worn in at least 28 years! I guess all that wogging really does reshape our bodies, even if we aren't doing quite as much as we'd like.

Keep up the great work, everyone! Oh, and if anyone has some motivation to spare, maybe you could toss it my way so that I can report back next week that I actually did some formal training in WDW (not just walking in the parks and XT "lifting"-- as in food-to-mouth! ;) )

Good morning all!!!

Carrie-- yes, it has been quite a year around these parts. Oh, and I can't tell you how excited I am that it's WARM! :banana:

Mel-- Hot Springs was good. It was mostly arena to the hotel, hotel to the arena, arena to the hotel, etc, etc. Although when we did go further afield we discovered that Hot Springs drivers are SLOW!!!

Scott-- Welcome! I have been following your blog for a couple weeks now. Sounds like you are making great progress. Keep it up!

Lily-- Those plaques from Fond Memories looked really good at the Expo. I ordered one from Crossing the Line that came about a month ago that I LOVE. Expensive, but worth it. I will definately be getting one for the Goofy next year as well.

Lynnda- WOw, great pace! Keep up the good work.

Helen-- :umbrella: Hope things dry out soon!

Jodi-- Unless you are hoping for a big PR, I wouldn't bother tapering for a 5K. Particularly since it sounds like it will fit so nicely into what you are doing for training now.

Well, yesterday I ended up doing crosstraining with a friend, so no running. Today is looking so nice that I will run yesterday's run today! And then I will, I WILL get back on schedule. .... .... .... I hope...... .... ... I think... ... ..

Happy training all!
Kevin (Solotraveler) :earsboy:

Cam- I just wanted to say have a great weekend at WDW. I hope all goes well for your DDs parade. Travel safely, get some rest, have some fun, and get your mojo... I mean motivation back. I'm sure being back at Disney and thinking about your experience with the 1/2 back in January will be enough to get your motivation back.

HI WISH Team!

What's this I hear? Dave is getting a Garmin! :teeth: :love: I love mine. (Don't bother with any other type, you will not need it.) Mushy? You've only just begun! This is what goes on here. Not only mushy, but it will get real personal and you will know more about us than you could ever imagine. :blush:

Lynnda, I think your XT is similar to mine of this weekend. Did a lot of Spring cleaning stuff. We had the opportunity, and I grabbed it.

ohMom, Molli! Great news about registering for the half. You know you can never completely catch up on these training threads. Just do as you can and try to stop by more often.

jodi, congrats on making your fundraising goal and going for more. I'm trying to raise $ for the American Cancer Society Race for the Cure. I'm thinking the same advice already given about the 5k. Just keep on wogging, wogging, wogging.

Papa, what is going on with your steps? Hope all is well and you are going to be outwogging the dog. I cannot believe it, I am actually able to go longer than my pups. Now when they get home they would romp in the yard, but go long...nope.

Tiff, great pace. You are doing great. It will be a "walk in the park" for you now.

Carrie, Yay! for the stars being aligned. Yes, it is a good sign when family is reviewing the event. It was happening for me yesterday too. Only thing for me, I haven't made the commitment for January yet. :blush:

Cam, you are doing great! Maintaining and all. You have a great time at the World. Enjoy a citrus swirl, or some other delictable thing in my name. You can get those steps in there. You will be motivated. You are in the World! Remembering will be the best. Stroll around whatever part of the course you can and know you will be working on that for January. Good luck with your case, and have a great time visiting Mickey.

Kevin, enjoy your run in the better weather today. You will get on schedule. Yes you will!

:cool1: Hey guys I'm really excited. Just got back from my 30 minute run! I hit 3 miles in 29:58 today :cool1: . I have to admit that I pushed hard for the last .25 miles just to get under 30 :rolleyes: . But I really wanted to see if I could do it! I think my body likes these warmer days as my runs generally feel better now that it's not frigid!

I have to say, however, that I am SO SORE from yesterday's KBX class. I think I'm going to head down to do a 30 minute yoga session to see if I can work out all my muscles and get some good deep stretching. Yikes....my entire chest and upper arm area is sooo tender (guess all those push-ups did their job!)

OhMom! Congrats on signing up. I haven't actually sent my paperwork in yet for the full. But I know I'm going to....I'm just the worst procrastinator!

Jodi: I'm looking for a half in the fall to run....sent you a PM! :)

Carrie: So cool that you got all your scrappin' done! I am SO FAR behind...we're talking YEARS now! :blush: Maybe you have motivated to get going! My poor kids keep looking at the books and saying...but what about the last few years mommy??? I've got the pics....just have been LAZY!

Cam: Have soooo much fun in sunny Florida :sunny: . Enjoy yourself and don't worry....you'll get plenty of exercise walking around the "world". :cloud9:

Dave: I want a garmin too! I'm sick of tracking my routes on the GMaps. ALthough it's better than driving around in my car which I used to do :guilty: . I told my DH that I'm treating myself to the 201 when I hit 5 miles! :woohoo:

Kevin: You'll get back out there. XT is good too!

Helen! Hope you guys are doing okay. That sounds frightening. I think I heard there is ANOTHER cyclone out there :(. I hope it's not coming anywhere near where you are?!!! Stay safe!

Jackie: :grouphug: Oh I do hope your MIL is okay! Hang in there....10 days is really not that long to take a break. So proud of you for getting out there today!!!

Lily: :cheer2: Good luck in the Columbus 1/2. I'll be thinking of you and cheering you on from cyber-space :D.

Hi guys - well the weather is nice now so Wattie has gone, it actually wasn't sobad at all (except for the fact that I was on a ferry and my office roof leaked) but Amy you're right there's another one in OZ - glenda I think. We only ever get the tail end of the ones that come east so we should be okay here.

Running buddy is having tooth out today so looks like I'll just be racing the 5k at the running club tonight. Mind you I think that's harder work than running my normal wednesday 10k with no time pressure. It is the first night we have to start wearing reflective gear though as the clocks have changed and we're on 'winter time'. kind of hard to believe that when it's still 75 degrees out there but it is getting darker earlier

Jodi: I wouldn't taper for a 5k, but if you're hoping to do a good time and really push yourself, I would take a rest day the day before it. Helen

OK, I know I haven't been around much since January but I've been trying to catch up on life in the real world that got sort of neglected during the last part of training. I'll be doing the Minnie though and I've been training for that so I've not been a complete slug.

Now here's the problem. After going Goofy this year, I said I wouldn't run again at all in 2007. We have a cruise scheduled for early Dec. and I didn't want to train on a boat or give up any cruise fun to do the workouts.

DH also said that since we had the cruise he didn't want to go b/c it was too much travel back to back (plus the holidays), too much Disney (a trip this past Jan., another for the Minnie, a DCL cruise and then another marathon trip) and too much $$$.

Well, the tunes have changed. DH got a raise :cool1: and a bonus :cool1: :cool1: and now money is not so much the issue. He's also softened on the back to back trips, as long as the marathon trip is just a long weekend, which is all I want, anyway. He finally said "Well, what did we buy the motorhome for if not to travel?"

I have changed my tune as, looking at the training plans, the week of the cruise is actually a cut back week so I wouldn't have to do any really LR's on the boat. I would have to jiggle one long run to get it in before we go, but other than that some time on the TM should keep me sharp enough till I got home in time for the last long run.

So, I called Fort Wilderness and they can get us in a site marathon weeked. I had thought they might already be booked and this conversation would end right there. But, there's availability so I booked since I can get the deposit back if I decide not to go.

Now I have to decide which race I want to do. I know not Goofy -- I can get away with a slack week on the boat for one race, but not the Goofy. Plus I think that was a one off for me -- it took so much out of me to train and run it that I don't think I had as much fun as I would have had I done one race. And right now I'm all about just having fun. But I digress.

I know I could do the half, no problem, even with a slack week on the boat. But of the two, I liked the full better and with only $10 difference in the registration fee, I feel like it's more bang for the buck. But I'm wondering with the full how much I would be punished for my slack cruise week. I think if everything else went well in training it would be fine, but if I got sick or hurt something, I'd need that week. But having done the distance, I'm pretty confident I could do it, even with a cruise, unless everything went totally to pot in training. So I want to do the full, but know the half would be the safe choice. What to do...

I'm teetering on the edge here, with a campsite already booked and just trying to decide whether I should race at all and, if so, which one. I think I know the answer... but I'm trying to either talk myself over the edge or away from the edge. Help!!

Disneefun - I would do the full!!! I think you are right about it being the more fun race and more bang for the buck.

MelRhoads said:
Disneefun - I would do the full!!! I think you are right about it being the more fun race and more bang for the buck.

I agree, Disneefun! Definitely do the full! Unfortunately, I won't be able to cheer you on as I will be behind you on the course, probably about 3 HOURS behind you on the course!

Disneefun, What are you waiting for! Hurry on and register for the full. You know you will be able to walk it if necessary and you will have the best time! Do it! You know you will, just jump off and go! Once you've registered you know the joy of the roller coaster to the event is as much a part of it all as the day is. Have fun and let us know you've registered.

I've decided I'm not a late evening runner. I didn't get to the TM last night 'til about 9pm and only managed about 20 min. My foot's been bugging me since the LR on Sat. I got a steroid shot at work today to try and bring it along a little.

Scott... :welcome: Glad you made it over here! How was your elliptical tonight?

Cam...we'll be at DTD about noon on Sunday. We looked into coming up on Sat for the night, but availability is pretty limited for this weekend...nothing reasonable left on FL resident/AP rates.

Jen...welcome back...glad you're planning to join us again for 2007.

Helen...Yikes! Glad you got through the cyclone okay. Reminds me that hurricane season is not too far away :umbrella:

AB...congrats on your pace! :cheer2:

Jodi...I've never tapered before a 5K, but do have an extra rest day afterward, especially if I've pushed it for a PR.

Kevin...what's your next race plan?

MelR...great race report! congrats!

Carrie...glad to hear you're feeling better and work's tapering off. How are your parents doing?

Tiff...WDW offered to let us rent some special room in Norway for our large group dining ;) We could also do an Illuminations dessert party :teeth: How's your training for the Minnie going?

Dave...we laugh, we cry, we hug, we talk about things you never, ever wanted to know about (bras, chafing, farmer blow...). I certainly wouldn't have made it to and through the half without these guys last year.

Sunny...how are you feeling?

Lynne, Colleen...where are you guys?

Lily...you make it sound so easy...just one extra LR a week to do the Goofy...I think I'm having serious medal envy.

For those of you that have done halves vs fulls...what's the difference like? Do you feel much different after a full (with appropriate training) vs a half? I'd like to be faster before I attempt a full...right now a 20 mile LR would take me half the day, but I'm really thinking about it.

Mel -- I sent you a PM!

Good night everyone!

BTW, has anyone heard how Liz's first couple of days at her new job have gone? Hey, Liz, thinking of you, sweetie! :wave: :flower:

My foot came out of the soft cast it has been in since March 10th. I had a steroid shot in the top of it on March 2nd, but it didn't get better. Still not sure it is better and I still cannot start walking and training for the Minnie. Looks like I won't be able to do it but I will be there to cheer everyone on. The podiatrist doesn't want me doing much walking for at least two weeks. She doesn't even want me on the foot for extended amounts of time until I strengthen the muscles in the foot again. She said when I start TMing it again, I should start out with 5 min and work up slowly. I don't usually do anything at that pace. I can start riding my bike again as long as it doesn't bother the foot. She also decided if the foot goes back to its post marathon problems, she will order a bone scan or mri to find out what is going on.

Lynne is busy with school and training for her triathlons. Erin is busy having fun at WDW. As far as I know, she and her BF plan on doing the Minnie. We surprised her by showing up at WDW on the 18th instead of the 19th as originally planned. I would rather be there instead of here even though is appears spring has finally sprung.

Everyone is doing great with their training. Keep up the good work.

keenercam said:
BTW, has anyone heard how Liz's first couple of days at her new job have gone? Hey, Liz, thinking of you, sweetie! :wave: :flower:

Love, love, love my new job so far...although I haven't really done much with my department as I am in orientation!!!! But me and my co-worker seem to hve LOTS in common...one being our love for a certain mouse :teeth:

Here is my sad news....I think the transmission or something really big decided to die on my car :guilty: Ohio is not looking good for me this weekend because of it and I am feeling horrible........I know I am letting so many people down...here is hoping that whatever the problem is can be fixed...quickly and cheap......somehow I just don't think that is going to happen. If you have any PD to spare...I think my car could use a lot!!!! Argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will have to do some catching up tomorrow. I am beat, depressed, feeling sorry for myself and my Ohio buddies.... and headed to bed.

Nighty night.

Y'know, I can't afford to miss even a single day here - never mind several days! Takes me FOREVER to catch up!

Liz- Sorry to hear about your car. Hope things work out for you. Any chance you might still make the race this weekend?

Judy - pixiedust: PD for your knees!

Chimera - Sorry to hear about DD's scoliosis problem.

Sunny - God luck getting that project at work solved. I'm sure you'll get it solved.

MelR - great job in the Hogeye!

Sorry, there's a lot more of you I should be responding to, but at this hr I really need to go get some sleep.

My knees are doing better, well enough that I am trying to decide on the 1 mile ( and try to run it) or the 5K Minnie (and go for a PR). 15K will be too much for me. I'd better get that decision made soon because Minnie weekend is right around the corner!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter