• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wk of Jan 14--WISH Walking/Running Club

Hmm.... well I shouldn't admit it, buttt....

Another race report!

Go figure, I have to get up at the crack of dawn for a hellish workweek every morning, and Saturday I'm up by 6am as well. Decided to do something useful and logged on to active.com, and lo and behold there's a 5k/9 mile trail race within about 15 miles of my house. Made a halfhearted attempt to wake up DW, got growled at, and decided to leave her alone. :rolleyes1

On the way there I waffled about which race to do, given I'd only done two 2 milers since the marathon the previous Thur and Sat and hadn't run since, a full week. The Double Bridge run (15k) is Feb 3rd in two weeks though, so decided I'd see how I felt covering that distance on trails.

Well, turned out like 50% of the trails were almost pure sand, a lot like running on the beach. There were also several hills, which wasn't really something I was planning on. Ended up slightly slower than marathon pace, which was probably a good thing anyway, finished the 9 miles in about 1:32. Not bad for my first ever trail race, and a long one at that. I did get a hat for second in my age group! :banana: Except I think there were only two of us... :sad2: And the other guy took 2nd overall and beat me by like half an hour...

Anyway, I got off my butt, got a long run in, and although my knees/IT bands aren't feeling all that fabulous at the moment, it's probably partially because I didn't take any preemptive or post race painkillers like I tend to do for the long ones...

DW hasn't run since the half, she was following the 1 day off for every mile raced strategy, but think she's past that now, just lazy. ;)

Oooh forgot to mention, for the $15 entry fee, I got a pair of great running gloves (it was in the 40s), the hat, and free pancakes at the IHOP by the start/finish! Whatadeal!

Hey guys! I figured I had to say hi at least once this weekend, or I'd go insane. I've missed a few pages of the posts from Thursday night to Friday night (wow, the thread is pretty long this week!), so forgive me if I've missed any big news. I'm going to have to re-read the rest later tonight.

Stephanie--great time on the 13.1! You were flying! And I know what you mean about the IPod shuffle. I was a big anti-IPod person (thought that they were just overhyped) until I got my shuffle for Christmas and I love it!

Dave--nice job on the 4 miler! Don't start getting too fast on me. If you're planning on running 8:00 miles for the Flying Pig, I'm going to wave goodbye to you at the start and catch up with you after the Finish line. :)

Jen--so sorry you are sick. Krista and I had a little of that a week before Disney and I know it's no fun. But look on the bright side--you made it through Marathon weekend healthy, so it could have been a lot worse. Hope you feel better soon.

Cecilia--I say go for it. From your overall time this year, it looks like you really tore up the marathon course. You'll have no problem with Goofy. And you won't be alone--our WISH team will all be there to support you. :)

Cam, Howard, Carrie, Scott--just wanted to say hi, since you guys just got back from WDW last weekend, too. Hope your trips back went well.

Well, I finally got a semi-LR in this morning. 8 miles in 1:18. It felt really good to get a run in that was long enough that I had to eat a Clif Bar mid-run. :) I had planned on just doing 6, but I missed my 3 miler on Thursday and figured I'd see how I felt after 6 and go longer if I was ok. Cold enough to wear gloves and a hat again, so I was happy about that.

Ok, I'm going to go back and read the couple of pages I missed and check out the other threads we've got going on. Between the race reports, pictures, and various other threads, there's so much to keep up with now. It's like a part time job keeping up with the WISH team. :) Talk to you guys later.

Steve

Matt--congrats on the race today.:thumbsup2 And wow on all the goodies you got for your $15! :cool1:

Steve--my DH was just like you on the iPods until he got his shuffle--and now I can barely get the headphones off him long enough to have a conversation!;) Great on your 8 miler! Way to go on adding the extra miles--I"m always trying to take them off my LR!

cecilia--Go for the Goofy!!!!:thumbsup2

Jen--sorry you are sick. :sick: Hope you feel better soon!

Oh, I forgot to mention this when I posted about my LR. But my running partner says, "Okay, so you did the 13.1 under 2hrs. You can tell everyone you did. Can we NOT do that again?????":lmao: Think I pushed him a little hard!;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter