With Apologies....is Black Pudding really that good?

Discussion in 'UK Community Board' started by hertamaniac, Mar 12, 2018.

1. hertamaniac

hertamaniac Give me 95 degrees everyday

Recently sailed on an international cruise and had my first exposure to black pudding. I must say, it was so scrumptious that I had multiple portions on multiple days.

Does anyone know what is traditionally included in the recipe?

2. onestitchloose

onestitchloose Mouseketeer

If you ever get a chance, try stornoway black pudding. It really is out of this world.

I’m a bit dubious about black pudding outside Scotland though as it never usually tastes like the real thing.

Glad you enjoyed it!

hertamaniac likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. Daisyde-lites

Daisyde-lites Earning My Ears

I don't think you would want to know what's in it! and it's not the easiest thing to make yourself, but I agree tastes delicious

5. Jon84

Jon84 wdwaddictuk

The main turn off is the Pigs Blood :sad2:

6. hertamaniac

Well, I probably won't be eating it again.

7. florida sun

florida sun Mrs Christopher Eccleston wannabe! Moderator

I love Black Pudding, I never think about whats in it, If I did I wouldnt eat most things:rotfl2:

8. hertamaniac

It was SO good though. I only tried it to see what it tasted like and the consistency and, based on that alone, it was one of the best breakfast items I've ever had.

Shanbo likes this.
  9. P800aul

P800aul Mouseketeer

Hi

Like sausages you never ask whats in Black Pudding, just be happy that you like it and I#m sure it's good for you.

By the way we call sausages "mystery bags"

10. PaulaSB12

PaulaSB12 DIS Veteran

I love black pudding, my local butcher makes pork and black pudding sausages

hertamaniac likes this.
  11. BadPinkTink

BadPinkTink DIS Veteran

Black pudding and its counterpart, white pudding are meat based products, made with blood and offal, fillers such as breadcrumbs and rusks, herbs, spices and other flavourings.

They are mainly a breakfast item, served as part of a fried breakfast, along with eggs, bacon, sausages etc. Different regions and areas in UK and Ireland have their own variations of the breakfast fry.

Black and white pudding may also be served in an all day breakfast or mixed grill, for lunch or dinner.

Like sausages, you can get the mass produced brands in supermarkets which have ranges from the cheap and cheerful to premium. Usually the cheaper the brand, the more fillers such as breadcrumbs are used and the flavouring , herbs and spices would be of the low quality. Then you have the fresh made in butchers and fine dining restaurants which would be made using more high quality ingredients to unique and individual recipes.

Again like sausages, peoples preference usually reflect the brand or type they can afford, and can easily buy.

In Ireland, the two most popular brands availalable to buy in supermarkerkets are

Denny Black Pudding, 199g roll costs €1.59 approx
    Proper-20Black-20Pudding.png
    Product details and ingredients and for the squeemish, the ingredient list is family friendly :) https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=261155273

Clonakilty Black Pudding, 280g roll costs approx €2.70
    IDShot_225x225.jpg
    Product details and ingredients and for the squeemish, the ingredient list is family friendly :) https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=250221200

Cooking Instructions
    Black pudding is sold raw, like sausages
    Remove the packaging and cut into 2cm slices

Cooking Method: Grill

Place sliced pudding on a rack in a preheated grill and cook on a high heat for approximately 4 minutes on each side.

Cooking Method: Shallow Fry
    Heat a small amount of oil on a frying pan and cook on a high heat for approximately 4 minutes on each side and turn occasionally.

It is not suitable for microwave cooking

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  12. AurumPunzel

AurumPunzel Mouseketeer

I absolutely love black pudding!