Wishing for a Grand Villa

lundve

DIS Veteran
Not a question but rather a comment.

I am tired of scraping together points for our large family trips so that we can cram 7 adults and 2 kids in a 2BR villa. Just once I wish we had enough points for a grand villa. There I said it and I feel much better!!

I have a friend who has been able to rent points for super cheap in the past. Perhaps that is an option to bump you up high enough to get the grand villa.

If space is an issue, another thing to consider is renting your points out and using the money to rent a house nearby. My brother in law's parents got a huge house for the price of a decent hotel.

There's always the obvious solution... Get a small contract that bumps you up just enough to make it every other year. :)

What do you mean by scraping? Are you waiting 3 years to take the vacation? Plus the season of travel is about a 100% difference in points from low to high. It's difficult to go during these times with school aged children, but it's such a big difference not to mention.

Could you scrape a few extra and get an extra studio to expand into? The issue there is that it's not guaranteed to be close.

Just a few thought (most of which you've probably thought about).

There are a number of other adults going with you. Have them pay for their own darn trips.

Get a Grand Villa for a few days. Tell everyone you'd love it if they joined you in your Villa for a few days - but they should plan on booking their own hotel room before or afterwards.

We did this with my big family trip. My sister's family went down early. My parents joined us for the big stay (we actually booked two two bedrooms) with the whole family and then went to visit friends wintering in Florida (we planned the trip so they could do that), we stayed later. We could only "afford" to gift them four nights - so that is what we did. The rest of our stay we downsized (and resort hopped).

We just got back from our resort hopping busy Christmas, New Year's trip and had a Grand Villa at BLT, 2 bedroom at BLT, and 2 bedroom at BCV. A lot of fun but of all the rooms the 2 bedroom at BLT was pretty cozy and the third bathroom worked out well. For our next trip we were hoping for Tree House but it was not available, have you checked if it might work for you?

Otherwise, I have to agree with the other posters that the other adults should be paying their own way for their vacations.

While in a perfect world that would happen - they'd never be able to go unless they stayed value. Since this trip is for my newly widowed MIL it's going to be for healing and fun. Don't get me wrong - we go every year - sometimes with family sometimes without but with only a base contract of 150pts there is just never enough - :) I'd love to be able to afford an ad on but we usually travel with my DH's bonus money/tax refund. Maybe we can convince my MIL of the value of her own contract that we could all use in the next few years - she has quite a few assets now and I know both my SIL and DH love DVC.

Wow! You are brave. I woulnt like to do more than 5 in a 2 bedroom let alone 9! We travel with my mom always when we go to Disney and my dd-19 stays in her room any my ds stays on pullout. I know you want yr mil in yr room bit how about the other adults rent points for a studio?

I understand that you want to take your newly widowed MIL...but there are three other adults going-what contribution are they making to your vacation? If you are providing accomodations and they are picking up other costs for you, that is one thing. But if you are always providing everything, you need to rethink your vacation strategy. It is easy when you have a timeshare for others to take advantage of that situation and think that they are entitled to free vacations since they are related to you. There is nothing wrong with the others staying at a value resort and making plans to meet up with them while on vacation.

When we purchased our DVC, I took my family once and my DH's family once. DH's parents keep hinting that they want to be taken again, but I am holding my ground. My DM often goes at the same time we do and arranges her own lodging.

The best advice you will hear on these boards is, "Don't let yourself become a unhappy doormat on vacation!!!!!"

Not a question but rather a comment.

I am tired of scraping together points for our large family trips so that we can cram 7 adults and 2 kids in a 2BR villa. Just once I wish we had enough points for a grand villa. There I said it and I feel much better!!

This is us (except 4 adults and 3 teens)! I know how you feel and I am trying to add on points to get enough...but still may not get the GV and just do a 2BR and a 1BR for MIL and FIL. Would love to have the GV just once though.

Why can't your SIL and the other adults pay even if you don't want to have your MIL pay?

Have they never offered to pay? That's really terrible if they haven't. I don't vacation with moochers even if they are family.

I am so glad you all feel for me - but this time it is one of those things where I think it is important for my MIL that we all be together. And if family members can't afford to pay we'll just make do, with accommodations that are tighter than I'd like. I made the mistake at looking at grand villa floor plans but that just made me sigh. We sleep in closer quarters during the holidays so this isn't much of a change. Fortunately there are parks to go to for entertainment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter