Wires, Laptop etc Through TSA?

PSUGuy

Bill From PA
We don't fly enough for me to remember this stuff so I have to ask every time. Can I put my cords & wires for my laptop in a large ziplock bag or do they have to be out, and does the laptop itself have to be out of the carrying case?

Thanks,
Bill From PA

Only the laptop has to come out of the bag and be scanned separately. You can leave the plugs in your carryon and I also put them in a zip lock in case they want to take a look. (They never have !)

Since you haven't flown in a while you may find the TSA website helpful ! Here is a link to the section on traveling with electronics
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/screening_experience.shtm

HTH

It does somewhat depend on the airport, alot of times at smaller airports, they won't make you take your laptop out (Long Beach, Ca for example generally works this way).

But the official rule is you have to remove it, unless you have a TSA approved case. The cases generally can be opened in a manner that allows them to see the laptop without removing it from the case.

As for the cords in a ziplock bag, I am not sure if that is ok or not. I don't see why it wouldn't be though. But definitely not required.

Only the laptop needs to come out. And even then there are some TSA friendly laptop bags that you can buy that they don't need to be removed from.

All the cables, etc are just fine left in your carryon. No need to put them in separate bags unless you want to do so for your own organizational purposes.

I often travel with a ton of electronics, including 2-way (ham) radios and they are never a problem.

Be pro-active. Have your laptop out, in it's own bin.....not inside anything. All your cords, plugs and other electronics can go in a large ziploc baggie, kept inside your carryon. That's what I do. There really is no need to ziploc them in their own baggie, I just find it easier that way. All my electronic 'stuff' is together...if there were to be any question about them, I can just pull out the entire bag to show.

Thanks for all the useful tips. Armed with these, all I have to do is to remember not to wear my belt that morning, I've have to remove that item the last few trips.

Bill From PA

Be pro-active. Have your laptop out, in it's own bin.....not inside anything. All your cords, plugs and other electronics can go in a large ziploc baggie, kept inside your carryon. That's what I do. There really is no need to ziploc them in their own baggie, I just find it easier that way. All my electronic 'stuff' is together...if there were to be any question about them, I can just pull out the entire bag to show.

I completely agree! You might not be asked to take it out of the bag (rules say you do and every time I've flow the security personnel have reminded people that laptops must be in a separate bin), but if you don't take it out and they ask you to, then you'll have to wait while it's re-scanned. It's faster to take it out and have it ready. Everything else stays in the carry-on (except the 3-1-1 items).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter