Wine and Dine...to the Finish Line! Fall 2017 TR NEW 1/11 Yachtsman Steak and Wine and Dine Epcot

Discussion in 'Disney Trip Reports' started by chunkymonkey, Apr 27, 2018.

1. MeghanEmily

MeghanEmily DIS Veteran

I'm drooling at your Monsieur Paul post!! :lovestruc

chunkymonkey likes this.
  2. Monykalyn

Monykalyn DIS Veteran

LOL!
    Wow the meal looked fabulous!! We weren't impressed with Chef de france so next time will have to try Monsieur Paul instead, special event or regular.

The rooms at the swan look really nice! And now that Marriott points work there...hmmm...always planning!

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. annie170

annie170 DIS Veteran

Your room at the Swan is lovely. I remember seeing the Swan and Dolphin being almost ready to open on a trip in 1990. Where does time go?!

I've never eaten at Monsieur Paul. Your lunch looked fabulous and I'm glad you had nice tablemates, also! Is the family meal a regular thing or was that a special event?

chunkymonkey likes this.
  5. AV007

AV007 Mouseketeer

Caught up on this one! Can't wait to see more!!

chunkymonkey likes this.
  6. Steppesister

Steppesister DIS Veteran

Whoa!! That meal looked fantastic!!! Holy cow!!

I've never done any of the "extra" events with F&W but that one would sure be one I would choose. I've not gotten to try Mr. Paul's either, but it's definitely on my list to try someday!!

chunkymonkey likes this.
  7. franandaj

franandaj I'm so happy, I could BOUNCE!

The French Family meal is my favorite! We stay at the Beach Club so that all we have to do is go back home and sleep it off. I've had as many as nine glasses of wine (when they let them go empty so I could count). Often times they fill your glass before it gets half full and you can't count. As long as you know they'll put you under the table, it's a great value and so much fun.

We have always been paired with great tablemates and always enjoyed it. Kind of like meeting DIS folks who haven't embraced the DIS!

Even if there were parts of the courses that I didn't like, I've never left hungry and it's always so much fun! Glad you enjoyed it!

chunkymonkey likes this.
  8. chunkymonkey

chunkymonkey DIS Veteran

Trying to finish this TR before I do anything else! Only a couple of posts left!! Replies coming soon!

November 5 Part 2: Yachtsman and Wine and Dine Runners Event

After our scrumptious French meal, we really needed to relax as we were so lethargic after that meal. We even had dinner at Yachtsman Steakhouse coming up shortly and so we headed back to the Swan to rest and use the jacuzzis.
    Here's my very happy very tipsy face:

[​IMG]

Later that evening we got ready and headed out to the Yacht Club. I think we may have walked it since it was such a nice evening, and also since we had such a big meal for lunch that we still had to work off before yet another decadent meal.

I was meeting my good friend Betsy @tankgirl427, her boyfriend Kris, and her friend Carol who had just ran the half that morning. Betsy and Kris had just arrived that day from Boston and were going to continue their stay at WDW while we were leaving the next day, so jealous!

When we arrived at Yachtsman we met Betsy outside and we had to get a picture together because our outfits, even though different, just meshed well.

[​IMG]

Haha we both have on Disney food related clothing. #greatmindsthinkalike or is it #foolsseldemdiffer? :laughing:

We were seated with our wonderful and favorite server, David. Too bad we did not get a picture this time around, but we were too busy chatting away and of course, eating.

Steve and I started by sharing the tuna tartar. It's fantastic here, with a crisp deep fried seaweed crisp that you can use as a spoon for the tuna. So yum! Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be on the menu anymore. They have definitely changed their menu since 2017 but it could also be a seasonal thing. (BTW their new menu is just as awesome)

[​IMG]

We got an intermezzo of mango sorbet with champagne. It looks so simple but it was soooo divine!!

[​IMG]

Since Steve and I had such a rich lunch we opted to share a ribeye and not get our usual which is the porterhouse for 2. They kindly split it for us in the kitchen.

[​IMG]

Steve and I got beef fat potatoes with our meal and the table shared sides of mushrooms and caramelized onions. So delicious! And so filling!

None of us got dessert but Yachtsman gifted us with little domes of chocolate and fruity things.

[​IMG]

Never had a bad meal at Yachtsman and we're headed there at the end of February in about a month and a half, so excited!

After dinner we were all set to go to Epcot for the Post Marathon Wine and Dine event. It was basically an event for all the half marathon runners and their guests. Guests have to pay about 70 bucks but runners did not. The food and wine booths were kept open all night, most rides were open, and they had special characters. It sounded like a great event...but was it? So I'm gonna sound like a downer but I did not think this event was worth the money. Maybe if we didn't eat at Yachtsman before, and could partake at the booths...but in reality the event was super crowded. The lines for everything were long, stores and pavilions weren't open so that's probably why all the people were just milling about world showcase. A lot of people were drunk, which didn't bother me, but there were a lot of them. So the event was really a time to hang out with our friends, and we met up with even more of Betsy and Carol's friends who also ran the half that morning. We decided to head to Soarin and then Test Track.

Here's a picture of some of us walking around Epcot:

[​IMG]

Waiting for Soarin for about 35 mins:

[​IMG]

And Test Track, which we waited close to 45 minutes for on standby.

[​IMG]

After Test Tract some of us split up and headed to World Showcase. The only thing that I wanted to do was to get a picture with Mushu. So we walked to China and I waited on line for about 30 minutes to finally get this picture:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's Betsy and Kris who waited on line with us:

[​IMG]

OK Goal achieved!!

When we walked by America we saw the cutest little patriot Mickey. Betsy and I were oooohing over how cute Mickey was but his like...it snaked around the pavilion so there was no way we were going to wait on it.

[​IMG]

Such a cute outfit though!

Since we walked by Japan I decided to get something just so I could say I did eat something at the event, so I got some wasabi dumplings or something like that I can't remember the name. Sorry for the blurry pic. It tasted ok, nothing exciting, but it wasn't bad. It's like shumai but wrapped in a wasabi flavored wrapper.

[​IMG]

With that said, the event was almost over. We really didn't get to do much at all, but the time spent with friends was good.
    Here's a picture before we departed:

[​IMG]

I probably won't go to this Wine and Dine event again unless I was a half marathoner (yeah so like, never) or if I knew people that really wanted to go. It was just crowded even the food booths were crowded however the lines died down considerable around 10pm (event ended at 11). But it was a beautiful night to walk around Epcot and we really did enjoy the company!

Steve and I walked back to the Swan while Betsy and Kris headed back to Pop.

[​IMG]

A lovely night!

Coming up, my final final post on this trip report!!!

Stay tuned!

9. StarWarsMomofGirls!

StarWarsMomofGirls! DIS Veteran

I think they said on the Backside of Magic that, that event was meh as well. So, I don't think you are alone on that. At least you had good company with you.

chunkymonkey likes this.
  10. Jenny Sanders

Jenny Sanders DIS Veteran

Us too. It remains one of my favorite Signatures!!!
    On a side note...Is Steve going on the Epic Trip???

chunkymonkey likes this.
  11. pkondz

pkondz . . Dis Dad #797 . . Hoping to get lucky

I envision you both lying on a couch or the floor, lying very still.

Oh, and Steve's burping.

More food????

How?

:laughing: Cute!

Sure. Of course. "We just ate. We're stuffed. Is there anything we could do to let us eat more?"

:rotfl:

That's awesome! Did you guys plan that??? I mean... No way!

That sounds really interesting. I've never had tuna tartare since DW is allergic, I tend to stay away from fish a fair bit. I'll occasionally have it, but...

Well, poop. Now I can't try it!

oooohhh… that sounds soooo good.

It sure sounded like it! Both parts!

Yay! Let's go eat!

:lmao:

Oh, that's too bad. :(

Um... yeah. Doesn't sound particularly inviting.

But that part's good, though.

Not too bad.

Getting a bit longish. For a "private" event, you expect the lines to be shorter. Then again... Everyone is going to go to those two rides, so...

Yay! You got it!

Nope. I imagine it would be over an hour.

Spicy at all?

:hug:

chunkymonkey likes this.
  12. soniam

soniam Wooden leg named Smith...

For the life of me, I can't remember any of the Post Race Party at Epcot. I know I bought a ticket, and DH had his free half one. It's a total blank. I guess it just seemed like a normal evening at Epcot during F&W. I don't know if I would pay to do it again either, and I don't see a half in my future ever:rotfl2:Heck, I haven't even run since I bought new running shoes this summer.

chunkymonkey likes this.
  13. Steppesister

Steppesister DIS Veteran

I've long wanted to try Yachtsman, but I think my actually getting there is a long shot given the length of my wanna-try list.

The event actually, sorry to agree with you, sounded like a dud. Too people-y and yeah, not much to really do. Like you said, maybe if you hadn't have eaten such a rich, big meal... maybe then. ??

chunkymonkey likes this.
  14. missangelalexis

missangelalexis DIS Veteran

I love your snack themed dress!!

Sounds like a great dinner! I'm sorry the event wasn't great but still sounds like a fun time with friends!

chunkymonkey likes this.
  15. iivye

iivye DIS Veteran

We did the Wine & Dine after party this year and somehow I completely missed that none of the stores or pavilions would be open. That's what I was looking forward to most. The after party was definitely a one and done for me.

Your dinner at the Yachtsman looked delicious. I have only ever done lunch there but will be adding to my list for dinner now. Great trip report!

chunkymonkey likes this.
  16. Lesley Wake

Lesley Wake May the force be with you!

Super cute dress!

That must be Mickey's outfit he wears on July 4th!

chunkymonkey likes this.
  17. chunkymonkey

chunkymonkey DIS Veteran

catching up on some much delayed replies...

I love Satuli! I always make it a point to eat here at least once on our trip.

Rght? That is usually us. But I'm glad we took it easy, it was nice!

They were really good!

Yes, you have inspired me to just be a bit more chill at Disney...that is, after 3 days of going commando. :rotfl2:

Yeah, I am just thinking they didn't update the screen at that point. It probably jumped fro 60 mins to 120!

I hear ya, sooo many things I have yet to try because I keep going back to old favorites!

They really are great! I love at the GoTG, and all the Captain Americas as well. Also the first and third Avengers movies are amazing. The first Iron Man was good I was just not into the other 2 as much. The Ant Man movies are great fun, and Black Panther was awesome.

Yup, they should let you put sauce on any childs portion. I've done it about 3 times so far. :)

Me too! So cute!

I hope they have updated it! I haven't been there in a while.
    Haha, it's really a typo on my part, it should be in line, but I am so used to saying "online" I naturally type out "on line" and don't even notice it!

Oh I tell Steve I want my OWN fries. :laughing:

Thank you!! It certainly was a great day!
    And they should have put a sign on the AMC!! I totally didn't realize that one side was dine in and one side was not!

Cloe Colton likes this.
  18. chunkymonkey

chunkymonkey DIS Veteran

Yes!! That's my special skill!!! It's my talent!!

I fixed it! I hope it works!

Yeah their rooms are big, not themed though.

:faint:

It was during that time

Good thing we were just watching a movie where you can't talk!

I like simple burgers for the most part. I don't do too much crazy toppings. An egg is ok. I like In N Out the best for best cheap burger.

It was a nice day indeed!

I love it! I will have to see when I can fit this in, since we are already doing Tiffins on our only AK day.

Me too! I only discovered this last year and now all I want to do is soak every night. I'm a little disappointed rooms at the swan dolphin don't have tubs.

yeah I like a nice soak too so I'd gladly have a tub over one with not.
    I love the Satuli bowls! They also seem healthy and not too heavy.

Well, you know I'm a fan of In n Out so I would say you'd be ok if you don't try D-luxe for a while. :)

Thank you so much. It's so nice to hear these words of comfort on the DIS!

Thanks!! It was great catching up with them!

I don't do it often but now that I'm DVC and there's so little availability for the points you have, you kinda have to make do.

I think we had already done Star Tours a few times that week and we just have to get to Epcot at a decent time because we weren't going to miss lunch!

You can sit at my table!! :)

I'll still talk to you. And take pictures of you. And post it on the DISboards of course.

It was amazing, it was the most amazing veal I've had. It could have been short rib but it was even more tender than short rib.

Er, no. I'm more of an eater.:rotfl:

Thanks!! That's why WDW has something for everyone!!

That was a nice surprise!

Hehehe.:love1:

I was a little nervous sitting down, but everyone was so sweet and nice that we all just got along really well!!
    Hahaha, he'd like to think so too.

It was so delicious!!! I am figuring out when to go to Monsieur Paul again in Feb. I already have so many meals planned...

It was amazing!! I definitely want to do it again.

Soooo goooood.

19. chunkymonkey

chunkymonkey DIS Veteran

Yes, since it's a signature, it's definitely got an amped up level of food...I'd go to Monsieur Paul over Chefs too, but it's been a while since I've been to Chefs. I just felt like it wasn't the best representation of French food.

YES!! But they recently devalued the points and some properties like Swan and Dolphin went up in points required per night, boo. Still, one of the few ways we can go to Disney and stay for free while keeping (most) of the onsite benefits.

I know! I remember thinking they were gorgeous and I thought I could never afford to stay there! HA, nowadays it's the Disney deluxe resorts that are un-affordable!

It was a special event for Food and Wine. It happens almost every Sunday of the festival. They change their menus too so you can probably attend two in a row and have different entrees. It was an amazing event, I really want to go again!

Thank you!

I'm definitely putting this on my list of restaurants to try for a regular meal. I loved the food there but I did know that it was a special event and their regular menu does not have the same items. I'm sure it's fabulous though and I've only heard good things about it!

We had such a fabulous time!! We should go together one year so we all sit on the same table! Well perhaps we'll end up under the table considering they will not let our glasses stay empty! :rotfl:

20. pkondz

pkondz . . Dis Dad #797 . . Hoping to get lucky

It did! And yes... crowded.

Well, there's that, too.

I've tried In N Out twice now. First time I think my expectations were too high and I was very much "meh" about it. Second time was better.

Not bad for a chain burger.

Oh. That doesn't speak well for DVC, actually.

Okay, makes sense.

Yay! Can I eat your food?

Of course. Sometimes TRs write themselves.

:laughing:

chunkymonkey likes this.
  21. chunkymonkey

chunkymonkey DIS Veteran

Yeah I didn't expect it to be so meh. But I guess it really was meant for the thousands of runners in the half...

So yum!
    Yes Steve and my sister Chunkysis are both going on Epic Trip!

That sounds about right...

I told you, I have a very special skill...

Every little thing helps!

We did not! Great Disney minds think alike. Actually more like...obsessed Disney foodies think alike.

Oh that's too bad, I love tuna tartar!

Hopefully it'll make a comeback!!

If you ever go to Yachtsman I can have David give you an intermezzo too!

Yeah...it seemed like WAY more people than at EMH which I was not expecting.

no not really. Just a hint of wasabi.

Haha yeah me neither, I just know that I'll probably never purchase another post-race event! I was thinking of doing Star Wars but it'll probably be too hot and also since I hurt my knee last Sept I haven't actually done anything either.

I know, my list is very long too!

Yes it was a dud. It was more crowded than EMH and everyone was drunk. Oh wait that sounds like Epcot on a regular festival weekend!

Thank you! I got it from Etsy.

Dinner was great but the event was not so much but considering we were with our friends it wasn't so bad in the end. Just wish we didn't pay extra for it!

Right?? I thought the pavilions would be open too. I was fully expecting the stores to be open, it would have been so cool. I love to browse the stores in all the countries too.
    For sure, I will not do another post-race event either!

Thank you! It's from Etsy! It may be my "eat and drink around the world" outfit!

It must be! Patriot Mickey is so cute!

soniam likes this.