Wine and Dine Half Marathon Weekend 2022 (Nov. 3-6, 2022)

I'm not sure you'll be able to use Genie + or ILL for the party. My understanding is you don't need a park reservation for after parties but you need a park reservation for Genie +. That might change once you enter with your park ticket but we are going with the assumption we won't be able to do anything other than standby for the party.

Do you wait until you're there to order your ride or do you reserve airport pickup in advance? I'm probably the last person on Earth that hasn't used Lyft or Uber yet!

This is not entirely relevant to your situation because I like to ride Amtrak to Disney, but I literally stand in the vestibule as we're pulling into Orlando's station and order my Lyft. That way by the time I de-train, it's ready for me! Sometimes I even split one with another passenger that's also going to WDW. They make it easy.

Do y'all use your normal Half training plans for the challenge? Any recs? I know Hal has a dopey training but I don't see a challenge one. I used Hal's for my most recent half and came in sub-2 and will use that for POT.

Aiming to run the 10k "slow" and land about 45-50 min then go for another sub-2 half.

Do y'all use your normal Half training plans for the challenge? Any recs? I know Hal has a dopey training but I don't see a challenge one. I used Hal's for my most recent half and came in sub-2 and will use that for POT.

Aiming to run the 10k "slow" and land about 45-50 min then go for another sub-2 half.
I'm using my dopey plan since Wine & Dine is on the way to Dopey. It just slots in as a long run with a couple of warmups. :)

Really, I'm using the customized plan I got from Chris Twigg's Customized Training. I told him the races I was running and any goals I had and he put together a plan that gets me all the way through Princess (I signed up for 6 months and renewed for a full year).

I used a normal HM plan for PW. Raced the 10k, ran the HM easy with my husband. It worked just fine. I used a HH plan. Don’t remember which one.

I had mostly given up on getting a 5k bib and was going to be satisfied with "just" the challenge. But in another thread it was pointed out that GKTW had lots of charity bibs for Wine & Dine. I grabbed one of those. The fundraising requirements don't seem too steep.

I'm glad I hadn't changed my room reservation yet.

Still considering signing DH up for the virtual challenge for this weekend (because of the Genie medal) and noticed that it's around $21 MORE than the princess challenge set? Seem odd, unless they're charging more because of the long sleeve shirts?

Still considering signing DH up for the virtual challenge for this weekend (because of the Genie medal) and noticed that it's around $21 MORE than the princess challenge set? Seem odd, unless they're charging more because of the long sleeve shirts?
Are we past the price increase date for wine and dine?

Are we past the price increase date for wine and dine?
are there pricing tiers for the virtuals though? in-person I can see because of the logistics of waivers and bibs, etc. but i didn't think there were for virtuals? the long-sleeve theory doesn't fly because the MW races are also less $ than the W&D. IDK. Just seemed odd.

are there pricing tiers for the virtuals though? in-person I can see because of the logistics of waivers and bibs, etc. but i didn't think there were for virtuals? the long-sleeve theory doesn't fly because the MW races are also less $ than the W&D. IDK. Just seemed odd.

I didn't think the virtual races had increasing prices and I don't see it. The in-person races would have increased on 9/20 had they not been sold out.
I have no idea. It was just my first thought. I’ve never registered for a virtual.

I know that W&D costs more in person compared to the other halves but it includes a gift card so it’s kind of a wash. I’m guessing the virtual does not have a gift card?

I assume the virtual is a set % off the cost of in person and since the in person half/challenge has a higher price point due to the after party than the virtual unfortunately would also be more even if you aren’t getting any extras just a theory

I signed my sister and I up for the 5k and since then she has gotten a contract animation job (yay! A job in her field) and won’t be able to travel during the race weekend. I’m assuming there are no solutions to this but if anyone has any suggestions I’d love to hear them. I am toying with the idea of going alone but I just can’t see racing by myself being that much fun and I would also have to foot the hotel bill alone.

I signed my sister and I up for the 5k and since then she has gotten a contract animation job (yay! A job in her field) and won’t be able to travel during the race weekend. I’m assuming there are no solutions to this but if anyone has any suggestions I’d love to hear them. I am toying with the idea of going alone but I just can’t see racing by myself being that much fun and I would also have to foot the hotel bill alone.

There are no official solutions to your problem. RunDisney also seems unmoved when it comes to people asking to switch to the Virtual Option, but I suppose you could write to them and ask (although the 5k option is listed as "sold out"--which is a little silly when it comes to something virtual) Frankly, once they have your money, they have zero incentive to accommodate any changes.

There are no official solutions to your problem. RunDisney also seems unmoved when it comes to people asking to switch to the Virtual Option, but I suppose you could write to them and ask (although the 5k option is listed as "sold out"--which is a little silly when it comes to something virtual) Frankly, once they have your money, they have zero incentive to accommodate any changes.
That was my assumption based on what I’ve read from others who have tried to make changes.

Would anyone else want to go and not run? That would solve the hotel cost. They don’t have to go to the race but could just be there for the weekend or whatever you have planned.

I’ve always ran Disney races alone and always have fun. I’m not really sure why you think it wouldn’t be fun?

Would anyone else want to go and not run? That would solve the hotel cost. They don’t have to go to the race but could just be there for the weekend or whatever you have planned.

I’ve always ran Disney races alone and always have fun. I’m not really sure why you think it wouldn’t be fun?
I know lots of people do the races alone. I guess the reason I’m hesitant is only because we planned to do it together. But you’re right, I could probably have fun racing alone.

And yes, there is a possibility I could get someone else to join me on the trip to split the hotel cost.

Are we starting to sneak up on when they had been doing medal reveals? Curious as to what they'll look like and if it'll push me over the edge to signing myself/DH up for the virtual challenge. LOL

Googled and answered my own question.

2021 W&D medals were revealed on Aug 9th (86 days)
2022 MW medals on September 5th (122 days)
2022 PW medals on October 18th (128 days)
2022 SS medals on January 24th (65 days)

So we are looking at sometime between June 28 (128 days before) and August 30 (65 days before.)
I feel like it'll probably be in July because there's not really anything happening that month for registrations and it'll keep driving the news. July W&D medal reveal. August SS registration. September MW medals. October PW medals. November W&D race. December we all panic about being ready for MW. And then you're into the next year and the cycle can start over.

Last edited:
To those planning travel and stays, FYI, FWIW:

They’re set to announce, later this week, the Holiday events. In prior years it seems that the first of the Mickey and Minnie Very Merriest parties start on the Monday immediately after the W&D events. I’ve booked two outgoing flights (one leaving Monday, the other Tuesday) to give myself flexibility in the event I wanted to stay on for that after hours ticketed event.

To those planning travel and stays, FYI, FWIW:

They’re set to announce, later this week, the Holiday events. In prior years it seems that the first of the Mickey and Minnie Very Merriest parties start on the Monday immediately after the W&D events. I’ve booked two outgoing flights (one leaving Monday, the other Tuesday) to give myself flexibility in the event I wanted to stay on for that after hours ticketed event.
This is what I’m hoping for. Come on, Disney, make some announcements and let me plan!! This is the last thing I need before I make my park reservations for W&D weekend

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter