• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Windy City, Smoky Mountains Pre-trip UPDATED 27/06/09

I got home tonight and when I checked my e-mails I found one from BA letting me know that the flight from Atlanta to Gatwick on 4th August has been CANCELLED :scared1: :eek: :mad: :mad: A few minutes of panic followed but I phoned the Executive Club who told me that it seems all of the Atlanta flights have been re-routed and we will now be arriving back at Heathrow instead. The flight also now leaves at 22:05 instead of 18:35, which gives us a bit more time for the drive back to the airport.

The new flight is showing up on the booking on the website now so everything seems fine

Oh dear :scared1: :eek: .I bet you were worried when you read that.I am so glad that it's now been sorted :thumbsup2 .x.

Oh dear :scared1: :eek: .I bet you were worried when you read that.I am so glad that it's now been sorted :thumbsup2 .x.

Just a little bit. I had visions of having to try and book the cabin for another night or arrange a different flight. I know they have to make sure people are aware of the change but surely they could make the e-mails a little clearer and more re-assuring. :sad2:

Just a little bit. I had visions of having to try and book the cabin for another night or arrange a different flight. I know they have to make sure people are aware of the change but surely they could make the e-mails a little clearer and more re-assuring. :sad2:

Exactly,some emails can come across very worrying+frightning with ony the minimal info possible,which does'nt re-assure or help anyone at all.
Still i am glad it is sorted-as i bet you are :thumbsup2 .x.

Just over three weeks to go now and just about everything is done. The balance of the car rental was paid off a few weeks ago, although I’m still thinking about upgrading – we’ve got a compact booked at the moment but having been spoilt with an intermediate in Orlando earlier this year I can’t decide whether to go for it or not. A compact will be fine for us and although I did like the satellite radio we had in the intermediate is that really a good enough reason for the extra expense. :confused3

We paid the balance of the cabin rental off this week and thanks to great service from Mountain Rentals of Gatlinburg we now have a map to the cabin and the code for the front door so no need to go to their offices when we get there. They have been great throughout, very quick to respond to e-mails and if anybody is thinking of going to the Smokies I would definitely recommend them.

Although BA do not offer a twilight check-in service at Heathrow we are still going to stay there overnight and we have booked in at the Holiday Inn Sipson Way where we stayed last year – better the Devil you know and all that.

As far as things to do when we get there are concerned; first stop is going to be the Field Museum Chicago which has what seems like an interesting exhibit on a slave ship that was converted to a pirate ship which sank along with booty from 50 captured ships and was recovered 300 years later – Real Pirates. Depending how long we stay there we will do the Shedd Aquarium either the same day or the next day and will also fit in the John Hancock Observatory and Navy Pier somewhere along the line.

Maps and directions have been printed off for the 'road-trip' days just in case the sat-nav dies on us and thanks to Travmatix I even know where we are going to be stopping for lunch.

I’ve also booked tickets for Dolly Parton’s Dixie Stampede Dinner & Show on 29th July 2009 where we will be cheering on the South Side. We’ll do Dollywood on the same day but the other days are pretty open at the moment but will involve a lot of scenic auto touring in and around the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

A few weeks ago there was a TSV on QVC that caught my eye – a high definition camcorder and digital stills camera.

DSCF0441.jpg

DSCF0442.jpg

DSCF0443.jpg

As it’s stills and video combined that will save me having to carry two devices around and it’s smaller than my current camcorder which is a bonus.

My Fairfx balance is starting to look fairly healthy and with pay day at the beginning of next week I’ll be able to add a bit more on once I know how much money was spare at the end of this month.

And so that’s about it the holiday has been planned, but not overly so, which should lead to a nice relaxed time and the excitement of going where the wind takes us. Which just leaves us to countdown 15 days to SDD time.

Thanks for reading and hopefully you’ll re-join me for the trip report when we get back. :goodvibes

Wow, it sounds like an amazing trip David. I can't wait to read your trip report and see your photos when you get back :thumbsup2

Wow sounds like a fab trip you have planned, I shall be reading with interest as Steve has been going on about Chicago for years and Tennessee is an idea I have for a future hol. I so agree that an intermediate spoils you when you've previously had a compact ;) Quidco is great, it really adds up for holiday bookings :thumbsup2

Hi there

We recently spent a few days in Tennesse before driving down to the Gulf Coast via Atlanta. I see that you are very organised and have most days planned. We also spent a day touring Cade's Cove which was a great day out. As you are staying in Gatlinburg there is another driving tour that is worth doing called the 'Roaring Fork Nature Trail', which would take around two hours.

If you have any other time to spare and are feeling adveturous I can thoroughly recommend some white water rafting - we did this with www.smokymountainrafting.com , just a 40 minute drive from Gatlinburg. Whatever you do , I'm sure you will enjoy the Smoky Mountains - we had a great time...

Barrie

Hi Barrie,

Thanks for that. Cades Cove and Roaring Fork are on the list, in fact the cabin is just off of Roaring Fork Road at the far end of the motor trail. :thumbsup2 I think the white water rafting is a bit too adventurous for us :scared1: but thanks for the suggestion. :goodvibes

I'm so jealous your going to Dollywood. Sounds like a great trip, looking forward to hearing all about it when you get back.

Sounds like you have it all planned out and are ready for the off. Good idea about getting the maps and directions printed off incase of a Sat-nav problem - you just never know do you.
Hope it all goes to plan and that if you do have to veer off schedule it works out for the better. Looking forward to the pics and report when you get back.

Sounds like you & your dad will have an amazing trip David:goodvibes

David,it all sounds fantastic-can't wait too see pics of Dollywood :thumbsup2.
That camcorder is so tiny-i like that.x.

WOW!!! I can't believe I'm only just reading this!!! Chicago, Dollywood, log cabins, Smoky Mountains - what a flippin' awesome trip you have planned, David!!!! :worship: :worship: :worship: Not long to go now so I hope you and your lovely Dad have the most fab time... :hug: Can't wait to hear all about it... :goodvibes

PS: Richard and Sam say "hi!" BTW... :wave:

WOW!!! I can't believe I'm only just reading this!!!....

Same here :eek:

it sounds like a brilliant trip and I'm really interested to hear how you get on in the Smokey Mountains as I'm toying with the idea of including a stop at the Blue Ridge Mountains in North Georgia next year :thumbsup2

Maps and directions have been printed off for the 'road-trip' days just in case the sat-nav dies on us and thanks to Travmatix I even know where we are going to be stopping for lunch.

I’ve also booked tickets for Dolly Parton’s Dixie Stampede Dinner & Show on 29th July 2009 where we will be cheering on the South Side. We’ll do Dollywood on the same day but the other days are pretty open at the moment but will involve a lot of scenic auto touring in and around the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

Biltmore, David? Please, say that Biltmore is on your touring list. I know you've done the research, but for anyone who doesn't know about Biltmore here's their site: http://biltmore.com

Hi Susan,

Yes Biltmore is still on the list but I still haven't decided yet whether we will return by way of the Blue Ridge Parkway, or allocate that it's own day. I think we'll probably get to Biltmore early and then see what time we get away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter