Windy City, Smoky Mountains ~ Day 8 - Dollywood & Dixie Stampede

wickesy

<font color=royalblue>Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love y
We woke up this morning to the sound of torrential rain but luckily by the time we went out at 8:30 it had stopped. As we knew we were going to be getting a big meal at the show tonight the plan for today was to have breakfast at Golden Corral and skip lunch. Once again we went into Pigeon Forge and into the Golden Corral, which was still pretty quiet even though it was getting on for 9:00. Dad started off with some fruit while I went for grilled sausage, smoked sausage, grilled ham steak and cremated bacon (just the way I like it) then Dad had a couple of slices of French Toast and a couple of pancakes to finish off.

From Golden Corral we made our way round to Dollywood where initially there were a few parking attendants to show us where to go and then suddenly we were left to our own devices. We managed to find a spot and then got the tram to the gates, by which time it was pouring with rain again. We bought our admission tickets, went into the park and then dived into the gift shop in the hope that by the time we came out the rain would have stopped.

The rain had eased off by the time we came out and we went just across the way to the Southern Gospel Music Hall of Fame. By the time we came out of there the rain had stopped completely and we strolled round to the Chasing Rainbows Museum, which tells the story of Dolly Parton’s life and holds many old costumes of hers along with awards and various other items of hers. Taking photographs inside wasn’t allowed but here’s a few I took as we wandered round the park.

DSCF0346.jpg

DSCF0347.jpg

DSCF0349.jpg

From the museum we walked round to the Celebrity theatre where, although it was only 11:00, the queue was already building for the 11:30 performance of Sha-kon-o-hey! - a show all about the history of the people of the Smoky Mountains told through a mixture of songs, acting and acrobatics. It was okay but it’s no Festival of the Lion King. I’m not sure if it’s the way they do their schedules or if they were running late but although the show was listed as 11:30 the doors didn’t actually open until 11:35, with the performance starting around 11:45.

After the show we sat and had a drink before looking at the recreation of Dolly’s childhood home.

DSCF0350.jpg

DSCF0351.jpg

DSCF0352.jpg

DSCF0354.jpg

DSCF0355.jpg

DSCF0357.jpg

Continued

From there we continued ambling through the park until we had done a complete circuit.

DSCF0367.jpg

DSCF0369.jpg

DSCF0370.jpg

DSCF0374.jpg

DSCF0376.jpg

DSCF0377.jpg

DSCF0378.jpg

DSCF0379.jpg

DSCF0380.jpg

Continued

Part of the special event this month was a large sand sculpture based on Journey To the Centre of the Earth, which I had particularly wanted to see as I always admire the sand sculptures at EPCOT’s Flower and Garden Festival.

DSCF0381.jpg

DSCF0382.jpg

DSCF0383.jpg

DSCF0384.jpg

DSCF0385.jpg

DSCF0386.jpg

DSCF0387.jpg

DSCF0388.jpg

We had intended to do the steam train ride but we had just missed one and they only go every hour so we decided to give it a miss. Instead we went back to the gift shop and made a few purchases by which time it was almost 3:00 and we decided to leave the park. Although they do have letters for the tram stops they don’t have row numbers so we had a quick game of “Dude, where’s my car?” but I had an idea where we were parked so it wasn’t too bad. Next was “Dude, where’s the exit” as there aren’t that many signs for that either but again we found our way out without too much trouble. All in all I’m glad we’ve seen Dollywood and I would go back, but I wouldn’t rush back any time soon.

DSCF0698.jpg

We had a couple of hours to kill before Dixie Stampede so we decided to go just up the road to The Incredible Christmas Place. We had a good look round there and saw a few things that we wanted to buy but we had a coupon back in the cabin for a free ornament so we decided to come back another day.

We then started making our way back down towards Dixie Stampede, stopping off along the way at a china shop and another Christmas outlet before arriving at Dixie Stampede at around 4:50. I had bought combination Dixie Stampede/Ripley’s Aquarium tickets so we collected the tickets for the aquarium and then made our way into the carriage house for the pre-show.

DSCF0389.jpg

DSCF0390.jpg

Continued

Once the pre-show ended we went into the main arena and took our seats on the South side who we would be cheering on for the evening. We knew that the meal at Dixie Stampede consisted of soup and a biscuit, a whole rotisserie chicken, barbecue pork loin, potato and apple pastry but what I hadn’t realised was that you don’t get any cutlery during the meal. Take a whole greasy rotisserie chicken cooked so the meat is falling off the bone and try eating it with just your fingers, not easy is it? It was a very good meal though and a great show as well, with the South just pipping the North at the last minute. It’s a shame the show at Orlando has closed down as it is definitely one that I would like to see again.

DSCF0391.jpg

DSCF0393.jpg

After the show we had a look around the gift shop before going back to the cabin, stopping off at the liquor store on the way for a bottle of wine.

DSCF0699.jpg

DSCF0700.jpg

scan0004.jpg

scan0005.jpg

Once again we were in bed for 10:00 knowing that we had another lazy start in the morning but a late night as we were going to see Tom Jones at Biltmore, a country house a couple of hours drive from Gatlinburg and show time was 8:00pm!

Today’s Disney reference: Tower of Terror on a budget!

DSCF0372.jpg

Day 9

dollywood looks interesting. your evening out looked like fun.

love the low budget ToT:lmao:

Another great day. The sand sculpture was amazing:thumbsup2

I have been waiting for this day :thumbsup2.How was my pad Kenny-keeping up to scratch i hope :laughing:.(other posters will probably be wondering what on earth i am on about :rotfl:).
Did you go on the rides?.Were they any good-they look abit rickety to me :scared1:.
I would really enjoy all what you done+saw today-thank you SO much for my keyring :lmao:-you know why i am laughing.
I remember going to the Medieval Times donkey's years ago with my Nan+Grandad-and we had to eat with our hands then-i was completley shocked(+disgusted :laughing:)and begged for cutlery as i had the veggie option of vegetable mousakka but they still said no :laughing:.Also we went to a show in California donkeys years ago again-it had a comedian,parrots :confused3 :laughing:,and the main show was look/sing a likes-Cher,Blues Brothers,Garth Brooks-have no idea what the name of it was :confused3 any idea?.Anyway we had big tin buckets of ribs,chickens,jacket potatos,corn on the cobs+once again had to eat with our hands :sick:,drinks were in big jam jars.It was a great evening though :thumbsup2.
Those sand sculptures are amazing.
Really enjoying your trippie Kenny ;),keep up the Disney references now won't you.x.

I have been waiting for this day :thumbsup2.How was my pad Kenny-keeping up to scratch i hope :laughing:.(other posters will probably be wondering what on earth i am on about :rotfl:).
Did you go on the rides?.Were they any good-they look abit rickety to me :scared1:.
I would really enjoy all what you done+saw today-thank you SO much for my keyring :lmao:-you know why i am laughing.

drinks were in big jam jars.
Really enjoying your trippie Kenny ;),keep up the Disney references now won't you.x.

Your pad was great Dolly (even I can't remember how this all started. :confused3 :rotfl: I think it was somewhere around X Factor wasn't it). There were only a couple of rides that I was going to try out but in the end because they were "You WILL get wet rides" and it wasn't that great a day I didn't bother. You're very welcome to the keyring and yes I do know why you're laughing. ;) There was no way we could go to Dollywood and not get you something like that. :laughing:

We had drinks in jam jars too. :thumbsup2

No more Disney references after today. :sad1: Sorry, they all dried up.

Your pad was great Dolly (even I can't remember how this all started. :confused3 :rotfl: I think it was somewhere around X Factor wasn't it). There were only a couple of rides that I was going to try out but in the end because they were "You WILL get wet rides" and it wasn't that great a day I didn't bother. You're very welcome to the keyring and yes I do know why you're laughing. ;) There was no way we could go to Dollywood and not get you something like that. :laughing:

We had drinks in jam jars too. :thumbsup2

No more Disney references after today. :sad1: Sorry, they all dried up.

Yes it was X Factor :laughing:,can't believe it's been nearly a year :eek:.

As for the Disney references-tut tut-shame on you :sad2: :goodvibes.x.

Great report. My favourite pics today were the ones of the sand sculpture. It always amazes me how they can get them looking so good.

Greta day - I have always fancied going to Dollywood..not sure why but the place intrigues me!!:rotfl:

Also love the cut price TofT - no way would you get me on that!

Yes it was X Factor :laughing:,can't believe it's been nearly a year :eek:.

As for the Disney references-tut tut-shame on you :sad2: :goodvibes.x.

Actually I told a fib. I realised last night that there is a Disney reference on the last day.

Also love the cut price TofT - no way would you get me on that!

It's nowhere near what it looks like - you pull yourself up using ropes and when you let go you ever-so-gently drop back down again. :lmao: I should have taken a video of it.

Amazing sand sculptures!
I really like the picture of you and your dad - I haven't seen a pic of you before and now have a face to a name!! :thumbsup2

I really like the picture of you and your dad - I haven't seen a pic of you before and now have a face to a name!! :thumbsup2

They had to change the lens after that picture was taken but they were very nice about it and didn't charge me for the one my face cracked. :lmao:

Actually I told a fib. I realised last night that there is a Disney reference on the last day.

It's nowhere near what it looks like - you pull yourself up using ropes and when you let go you ever-so-gently drop back down again. :lmao: I should have taken a video of it.

Telling me lies now are we :eek: :sad2:.

They had one of these at Legoland,it looked pretty tame so we all went on it-yes even Emily.Well i nearly wet myself,it was'nt too bad pulling yourself up-it also span around at the same time,but when you let go of the ropes it jolts you+drops you down-way too rickety for me.Poor Emily was screaming so Tony had to lower themselves back down+stay there :lmao:,and me+Chloe were stuck halfway up-as i was too scared to drop us even lower :rotfl2:.x.

Telling me lies now are we :eek: :sad2:.

They had one of these at Legoland,it looked pretty tame so we all went on it-yes even Emily.Well i nearly wet myself,it was'nt too bad pulling yourself up-it also span around at the same time,but when you let go of the ropes it jolts you+drops you down-way too rickety for me.Poor Emily was screaming so Tony had to lower themselves back down+stay there :lmao:,and me+Chloe were stuck halfway up-as i was too scared to drop us even lower :rotfl2:.x.

Sorry Miss, I'm getting forgetful in me old age. :guilty:

:rotfl: Did you have to be rescued in the end? The Dollywood one didn't even spin, just pull yourself up and glide back down again.

Wow, Dollywood, quality! I love the fact that everything looks ever so slightly rickety! I loved seeing the recreation of her childhood home and didn't realise she had 10 brothers and sisters - how did they all fit in there?!

The show sounds great but I would so not have enjoyed eating with my fingers!

Laur's xx

Dollywood looks like fun, I think i'd like to visit for the 'tack factor' more than anything else! Hey is it just me or does that *ahem* butterfly flower arrangement look more like a pair of ladies... Nevermind! :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter