Windy City, Smoky Mountains ~ Day 7 - Clingman’s Dome & Cherokee

wickesy

<font color=royalblue>Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love y
Another lazy start to the day today with me not getting up until 8:20. We were out at 9:00 and off down Newfound Gap road, which is the only road that goes across the Smoky Mountains. Initially the road was covered in trees but it soon cleared into views like these

DSCF0316.jpg

DSCF0318.jpg

DSCF0319.jpg

DSCF0324.jpg

DSCF0325.jpg

We soon found ourselves at Newfound Gap, so called because originally another pass was thought to be the easiest way through the mountains until this one was discovered. It is also the site of the State line between Tennessee and North Carolina, so it was here that we entered the next State of our trip.

DSCF0328.jpg

DSCF0329.jpg

DSCF0331.jpg

DSCF0332.jpg

DSCF0333.jpg

Continued

After Newfound Gap we turned off onto the road leading up to Clingman’s Dome, the highest point in the Smokies. We parked up and I started up the half mile trail to the observation tower while Dad stayed behind as the trail was quite steep. It was hard work getting to the top but the views were worth it.

DSCF0335.jpg

DSCF0336.jpg

DSCF0337.jpg

DSCF0338.jpg

DSCF0339.jpg

DSCF0341.jpg

DSCF0342.jpg

Towards the top middle of this photo you can just see the car park that I walked from and back to
DSCF0343.jpg

DSCF0344.jpg

DSCF0345.jpg

By the time I got back down it was gone 11:00 so we went down the rest of the road to Cherokee non-stop. Once in Cherokee we stopped off at the Museum of the Cherokee Indian where we bought some fridge magnets and had a look around the museum which describes the history of the Cherokee Indians and how they were affected when settlers came and took over their land.

DSCF0697.jpg

After the museum we went across to the candy shop where we had a couple of chocolate covered pretzel rods and a large coke each.

From there we left Cherokee and drove up to the Bass Pro shop in Kodak. Those who have read my Orlando trip reports will know that this is usually our first shopping stop when we are in Orlando so we had to have a look in the one here. Dad bought a few S-biners in there and we then went next door to the main branch of the Ultimate Jerky Outlet where we bought a few flavours that I hadn’t picked up in the shop in Gatlinburg.

We then started making our way back towards Gatlinburg, stopping off at the Smoky Mountains Knife Works for a look around. By the time we came out it was around 5:00 and it was raining heavily so we abandoned our plans for the rest of the evening and retreated to the cabin for nibbles and beer.

We were in bed by 10:00 hoping that the weather would be better tomorrow for our visit to Dollywood.

No Disney reference today. :guilty:

Day 8

the views are stunning :thumbsup2

what was the weather like? did you need a warm coat?

the views are stunning :thumbsup2

what was the weather like? did you need a warm coat?

They really were, I could have spent all day just taking photos.

The weather was great, we didn't need sleeves let alone a warm coat. We did have a bit of rain (coming up in the next couple of reports) but even that was generally just in the mornings and you'll see that we just planned around it so it didn't stop us doing anything. Going by the temperature display in the car it never got lower than mid 60's (and that was at higher altitudes) and was generally high 70's/low 80's.

There are 3 mountains in one of your pictures like Disneys 3 mountains :upsidedow

There are 3 mountains in one of your pictures like Disneys 3 mountains :upsidedow

Those photo's are good - and I bet even they didn't do the real views any justice.

Couldn't you have pretended that one of those Indian women on your fridge magnets was Pocahontas :thumbsup2

See you guys are better at these Disney references than I am! :worship:

You're right Kenny you really can't do the views justice in a 2D photograph.

Oh those views are amazing :worship:,what a shame Dad never went with you to be able to see them for himself :sad1:,great pictures :thumbsup2.
Lovely items from the shop-thank you again for my fridge magnet+dream box :hug:(hope you did'nt mind me mentioning it on your trip report-people should know how kind hearted you both are :hug:).
As for no Disney reference :scared1:i am ashamed that you have failed us so early on in the trip report :sad2: :laughing:.
BUT :worship: to Claire+Kenny for THEIR references.x.

Oh those views are amazing :worship:,what a shame Dad never went with you to be able to see them for himself :sad1:,great pictures :thumbsup2.
Lovely items from the shop-thank you again for my fridge magnet+dream box :hug:(hope you did'nt mind me mentioning it on your trip report-people should know how kind hearted you both are :hug:).
As for no Disney reference :scared1:i am ashamed that you have failed us so early on in the trip report :sad2: :laughing:.
BUT :worship: to Claire+Kenny for THEIR references.x.

It was a shame but the trail was quite long and steep so it was hard work getting up there.

I don't mind you mentioning the pressies at all. :goodvibes

I know, I tried with the Disney references but they kind of dried up. There's one for tomorrow and then that's it. :guilty:

Claire beat me to it - I was going to say, all these mountains and you couldn't come up with a Disney reference?! ;)

Stunning photos, David, the views look magnificent :thumbsup2

I loved hearing the explanation of Newfound Gap, very clever.

Sounds like a fascinating day all round, just a shame about the weather spoiling your evening plans.

Laur's xx

Wow amazing views! There's a similar state line between Nevada and Arizona, so now I can say i've been to AZ ;)

Stunning views!

And here's another Disney reference: Chimney Pots - Mary Poppins

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter