Will you pay 600.00 to 700.00 on a PS3?

mrsmiller

DIS Veteran
For kids that will be 7 and 9 by christmas?

I ask my boys to give me an idea of what they want Santa to bring them this Christmas(they still believe in Santa) well among other things they want a PlayStation 3 which is not even in the market yet and I read in a magazine that the starting price on this console is 600.00/700.00 plus the games :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :eek: to me thats wayyyyy to much!
They did excellent in school , I normally do not buy toys for them thru out the year only for christmas, usually my budget for christmas is around 1,500
for both boys in toys.
Like I said before they still believe in Santa and They are not concern about prices when I told my littleone his response was "Don't worry mommy Santa has all the money in the world to buy toys!"..... :sad2: I feel like telling them the "truth" but my mother said to let them be "innocent"; still 700.00 just for a console is too much...

Linnette

There is not a force on this earth that would get me to pay any amount of money for a game system.

*However* if this is something that you would like to do for your boys I say go for it. I may not get it, but it's not my life to get, you know? Anyway, maybe Santa can leave them "seed money" and a note explaining that it should cover half the cost and mom can buy the system when they've earned the rest through household helps and odd jobs? After all, Santa's brokerage account has ups and downs just like the rest of ours - and, what with population growth, there's tons more kids in the world today.

You don't have to give up Santa to have the gift make some level of rational sense to your boys. I think you're a sweet mom to think of this.

Unfortunately yes!

DS (8) has been looking forward to it since the new X-Box came out last year. I know its alot of money and no we're not rich but he's basically a good kid with straight A's in school.

He already knows that thats the only thing Santa will bring him, if he does get it, and he's OK with that.

For me, I wouldn't. The next year there would be a newer one out anyway and they'd ask for that. Whatever is new and what everyone else had.

I think it's too expensive but JMO. I could barely bring myself to buy a new laptop for $1,000 and my other one was 7 years old and I needed a new one for work purposes.

PS - We also told DD that we help Santa pay for her gifts (so she knows she just can't think the sky is the limit). Santa has too many children to buy for on his own.

It wouldn't fit my budget, but seems to fit yours, so why not? It is a lot, but will they use it for a long time and get as much out of it as $600 worth of other gifts?

Maybe it won't really be that much.

Can't help on the Santa thing. It's very sweet though. My 5 year old already "learned" in kindergarten that he's not real (although I won't confirm) but he promises not to tell his little sister.

I wouldn't.
My boys are 16 and 12. I know my oldest would love a PS3, but I won't shell out that much.
Then you'd have to buy the memory card, right?
And then have to purchase a game in order to do anything with the system.
And another controller if 2 people want to play.

I think $600 is way too much for a video game system.

If DS wanted it I'd be glad to give him Christmas money. Then he could save up the rest for the overpriced game system.

T. Lynn said:
For me, I wouldn't. The next year there would be a newer one out anyway and they'd ask for that. Whatever is new and what everyone else had.

I think it's too expensive but JMO. I could barely bring myself to buy a new laptop for $1,000 and my other one was 7 years old and I needed a new one for work purposes.

PS - We also told DD that we help Santa pay for her gifts (so she knows she just can't think the sky is the limit). Santa has too many children to buy for on his own.
Game stations don't come out new every year or no I wouldn't pay $700.00 for one. They aren't like computers. DS has a Playstation 2 for almost 4 years now and I know it was out before we bought it for him.

The games he has for his Playstation 2 can also be played on the Playstation 3 so thats good also.

I wouldn't
but thanks for the heads up--
I'll be prepared for my husbands speech and how great it would be to get the "kids" one(meaning Him) and how we could all play together--( promoting family time).

Before I broke down an brought my husband a ps2 for our wedding anniverday gift-- I new more about its features and benefits than Sony did :rotfl:

The starting price of a PS3 for the 20GB Version will be $499, not $600-700.

It is scheduled for release in November. I suggest that if you are really serious about getting one, that you visit your local gaming store and sign up on their waiting list. Your biggest problem is going to be finding one of these at the retail price, as they are sure to be scarce when they are first released. You don't want to end up paying $1,000+ for one on eBay.

We would NEVER do it, but that's up to you. We do have a gamecube and game boys (DS10 and DS5), but that's it. No xbox or playstation.

Actually, my DH and I aren't totally "sold" on the whole gaming "thing" anyway. For some kids, it seems to become their whole life. In our house - July and August are "gamecube/gameboy" free months. But, that's a whole different thread.

As far as Santa is concerned, I think it's healthy to realize that it's not "fair" to other kids to ask Santa for such an elaborate gift. I mean, he does have to give to a LOT of children. I like the idea from another poster - maybe santa can give them gift certificates to toys r us or something like that and that they will need to earn the rest.

I think your "gut feeling" that $600/$700 is way too much to spend on a console is totally correct. I'd focus on ways for them to EARN the money for it - (we feel that doing their best in school should be expected).

No flames please - I'm not judging anyone else's decision to buy or not buy - the OP asked if we would spend the money and I'm just stating what MY family would do. You can do whatever is right for your family.

No after the last year of this system is not what i want and I need this game for this .

We are no longer buying systems If DD wants money to go with then she can have that.

Yesterday she Traded her barely used X-Box with a bunch of games and some old games from her PSP she doesn't use for a PS2 and the 2 Kingdom of hearts games.

She plays with Her DS most of the time ( I taking over her PSP as I paid for 1/2 of that HAHAHA) .Her SP is her bathroom backup and her Vidio now never gets used at all.

I'm just as bad with my Phones so I really can't blame her but I don't have to help matters either.

As for X-mas shes going to WDW for her main present this year (her choice also PAP's)
and if School calender in in her favor Her B-day in Oct will be spent in the world again this year as well.

If they are making these systems more and more like just a computer for games then the $500 - 800 is not that bad and Sony is better for backwards play ( PS1 games play in PS2) .

I also don't mind her playing the games as she picks games that require thought ,math and lots of reading for problem solving. Her 2 books she bought for KH are bigger then most of her school text books.

No, the most I would pay for a game system would be around $150 or so.

I'm another who tells my boys that Santa collects and distributes the gift after Mom and Dad and Santa have discussed it, b/c we (the parents) have to pay for the gifts.

If you normally spend that much on them anyway, I would say go for it, since I'd rather spend the money on something I know they'd use instead of $1500 worth of other toys that might get forgotten the day after Christmas.

Lori P. :)

Since the system is well within your toy budget I think you should get it. The PS3 is something they will probably play with for years. You received some great advice about getting on a waiting list ASAP. I think your 9 year old is a great actor! I think it is very sweet that he tells you he still believes in Santa. Good luck in getting the system for your boys!

My ds is almost 10, so he is really into the games, he has a ps2, and we caved and bought him psp for christmas for 250.00, . I know these video games are nuts!! Well it does seem to fit your budget, if you spend 1500. between the two, if it fits go for it. Do you have ps2? If you don't you'll have to get a couple of games for the ps3 too. And then they'll still be some money left to buy them each a few little things.

I wouldn't worry about Santa either I always tell my kids, he does his best, and you can't ALWAYS get what you want. They totally agree, because they are very unselfish kids. Ds(9and half) still believes in him alittle. He's not sure!
Boy i'm glad we did buy the psp or i'm sure my sweet little ds would be asking for a ps3. we have 4 kids to split the budget between, he would not be getting one this year.

lost*in*cyber*space: Where are they going to have the ps3 for 499.00? Which gaming store can I call or go to?

We get a magazine call PSP and in an article in the july issue they said... " Sony will be launching their PS3 for about 600.00 and another 100 for the extras, one concern they stated is they expect Sony to take a lost in the market and because of the price they do not think people will get out of their way like they did with the 360.A price drop won't happen soon and that they will offer a premium package of 700.00+ for a PS3 and one game Sony expect to sell to the last unit at launch..."

I thought that because of the price this will not be a Hot Item for christmas but now I do not know

Linnette

I wouldn't shuck out any amount of money for any video game system. If my girls wanted $300-$600 worth of dance classes or something though, I'd be more likely to pay that. It's just where you put your priorities. I can't justify allowing my girls to sit in front of the tv for extended periods, but if it was for something physical then I'd be more okay with spending the larger amount.

That said though, if you can afford it and your boys wiil use it, then why not get it. When do they plan on launching it? Is there any chance you could get one second hand? Sorry, I don't know much about video game systems.

I talked to the manager at Gamestop last weekend about the PS3. There are two versions like the XBOX 360, one is $499.00 and the other is $599.00.

I asked about pre-sale and he said pre-sale will start in October, the system is suppose to be out on November 17th.

It's crazy but I'll probably get the PS3 for DS(10) as he's a serious gamer who wants to actually make games/work in the video game industry when he grows up.

I was all set to get the XBOX 360 last year until I found out that the A LOT of the old XBOX games wouldn't play on the new system so we traded in the old XBOX and about 15 games for Gamestop store credit - no more XBOX in our house.

No, I would not. I'm pretty anti video games after enduring the struggle with a teenager who neglected other things to play video games. I also only spend about $1000 to 1500 total on Christmas for everyone on my list so I can't imagine spending that much on toys for only two children.

Having said all of that though, if you normally spend that much and your boys would be happy to recieve that and very little else then I say go ahead. I think that it would be a mistake to buy that in addition to your normal budget- don't want them to become greedy and rotten.

As far as Santa goes, when my children were small we made it clear that Santa only brought things that we approved of and "Santa has lots of gifts to get so he does not approve of greedy children."

I wouldn't pay the money for a gaming system that is that expensive. We did get a Nintendo Gamecube a number of years ago, and that's what the kids play. They've never asked for another kind.

I am with another poster that it's not actually the cost, but rather the cost of a gaming system. I wouldn't pay that much for a game system, because I don't want my kids on it too much anyway. I would (and do) pay that much and more for kids activities, such as baton for dd (huge, huge expense), baseball (and this summer, a baseball travel team for ds, age 14), music lessons and so on.

Please note, that's not meant as a slam at all towards the OP; families need to determine what priorities are to them, and what they want to do. I just wouldn't choose to.

T. Lynn said:

I agree. Do your kids have another PS3? You could tell them that Santa needs to get one for all the kids and since they have one already they need to ask for something else. I hate those type of games. My kids had a Nintendo and I think a Game Cube. I did not encourge them when it came to using them and you could also say that Santa thinks you need some diversity in their lives.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter