Votes: 51 32.5%
  • No

Votes: 79 50.3%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 27 17.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay. Although I work for the airlines, I am not privy to the available capacity and retirement of aircraft.

I would assume both AA and SW do not want an accident on their record, yet they both find the airplane airworthy. If it was a non issue to ground them I wonder why they don’t voluntarily do so...

Nobody said it was a non issue. But it isn't nearly as big of one as "grounding an entire fleet." Again the vast majority of both airlines fleets will be remaining in the air.

And nobody would think Ford would argue against a regulatory change to fuel systems that would cost about $11per car and save the bad publicity of 180 gruesome burn deaths a year between their pinto and other cars from various manufacturers with the same type fuel system right? But they did just that. Sometimes companies do indeed lose the big picture

Nobody said it was a non issue. But it isn't nearly as big of one as "grounding an entire fleet." Again the vast majority of both airlines fleets will be remaining in the air.

And nobody would think Ford would argue against a regulatory change to fuel systems that would cost about $11per car and save the bad publicity of 180 gruesome burn deaths a year between their pinto and other cars from various manufacturers with the same fuel system right? But they did just that.
Hey, if this proves to be a design flaw I’m all in for the grounding. Perhaps the NTSB has learned something that has warranted it. I just don’t like reactionary off the cuff feel-good decisions. I like them based on some sort of facts.

Hey, if this proves to be a design flaw I’m all in for the grounding. Perhaps the NTSB has learned something that has warranted it. I just don’t like reactionary off the cuff feel-good decisions. I like them based on some sort of facts.

Canada grounded the plane after analyzing specific satellite data. This is now the third time I've told you this. That's not "off the cuff."

Personally, I am glad the US finally grounded them. I'd rather ground them now and find answers later rather than let them keep flying and possibly another crash happens that is specific to something on these aircraft. Somethings are better as "react now, get more info later" and I think this is one of those.

Canada grounded the plane after analyzing specific satellite data. This is now the third time I've told you this. That's not "off the cuff."
I’m well aware. No need to scold me that you have told me three times.
I’m sorry, but I’ll go with NTSB data over a Canadian satellite image.

The report I saw did reference "new information and physical evidence that we’ve received"
Would love to know more about that, but my gut says political pressure was likely the main motivator.

Lol you don't trust the satellite image that led to Canada's decision yet the USA followed their lead about an hour later.

Hilarious!

Curse Boeing, the FAA, and the NTSB. They're all panicking fraidy cats emotionally bowing to political pressure. We thinking, rational, and all knowing Dis aeronautical, mechanical, and electronic engineers all rolled into one know better.

Curse Boeing, the FAA, and the NTSB. They're all panicking fraidy cats emotionally bowing to political pressure. We thinking, rational, and all knowing Dis aeronautical, mechanical, and electronic engineers all rolled into one know better.

They poopin' their depends.

How do you ever leave your house?

My nephew was at a 4 year university to become a commercial airline pilot. Two weeks before graduation he was taking his last flight exam for his license. During the flight, the wing of the plane fell off. He and the FAA examiner on board had no time to react, not even say, "Oh crap". Both were killed.

So with your "How do you ever leave your house?" comment, we understand everything has risks. However, getting on a Max 8 or 9 is not going to be one of those risks. Our family has been through enough hell this year. It isn't worth the risk to put them through more. We will be changing our flights to a non-Max 8 plane.

Last edited:
I don’t know all the technical aspects of it but it was mentioned that the pilots in the 2 fatal crashes hadn’t logged enough hours so they weren’t as experienced as American pilots who require many more hours. There was some discussion that their inexperience led to not knowing what to do before the plane went down.
I think that’s why the U.S. waited to ground the planes. They felt in those 2 crashes it was pilot error and not necessarily the planes themselves.

I don’t know all the technical aspects of it but it was mentioned that the pilots in the 2 fatal crashes hadn’t logged enough hours so they weren’t as experienced as American pilots who require many more hours. There was some discussion that their inexperience led to not knowing what to do before the plane went down.
I think that’s why the U.S. waited to ground the planes. They felt in those 2 crashes it was pilot error and not necessarily the planes themselves.
There is also talk that the government shutdown played a big part in that the oversight of the new software that was needed didn't get done.

I agree the FAA is poopin' their depends.

Reports are that the FAA was ordered to ground the planes by Trump :tiptoe:

Since the top three positions at the FAA are "acting" and not officially filled, that kind of makes sense. They don't really have anyone with the knowledge to make the call, and the top "acting" guy is an executive with American Airlines ... conflict of interest anyone??

I trust the NTSB. Not that other agencies are incompetent, but the NTSB is the best imo.

In the past, this may have been true. Black boxes are headed to Europe to be analyzed, not US. USA is losing credibility quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!