Will I need Budget e-Toll just to go to Port Canaveral?

mermaidwannabe

DIS Veteran
I just rented a car with the Wendie code on Budget. There is a box that gives info about the Florida Turnpike not taking cash anymore. Will I need to go on the Turnpike just to go from the aiport to Port Canaveral, the area around Cocoa Beach and back to Orlando? If not, will they let me not get their transponder if I don't have a SunPass if I just tell them I won't be on the turnpike?

Thank you!

I just rented a car with the Wendie code on Budget. There is a box that gives info about the Florida Turnpike not taking cash anymore. Will I need to go on the Turnpike just to go from the aiport to Port Canaveral, the area around Cocoa Beach and back to Orlando? If not, will they let me not get their transponder if I don't have a SunPass if I just tell them I won't be on the turnpike?

Thank you!

Much of the FL turnpike still accepts cash, the southern part does not, but the Orlando area does take cash. BUT, to go to Port Canaveral/Cocoa Beach you will not be on the FL TPKE. So, you will not need their transponder. Just decline it. You will, depending on how you go, be on a toll road at some point, but, they do accept cash.

Much of the FL turnpike still accepts cash, the southern part does not, but the Orlando area does take cash. BUT, to go to Port Canaveral/Cocoa Beach you will not be on the FL TPKE. So, you will not need their transponder. Just decline it. You will, depending on how you go, be on a toll road at some point, but, they do accept cash.

Thank you! They make it sound so final in their info that if we do not have a SunPass that we HAVE to take theirs.

Florida toll roads and electronic collection

https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

on the bottom half of this site is very interesting information about the WIDE RANGE of cost options depending on your choice of rental company.

Note that on the Beachline from the airport to PC, the cash lanes will be TO THE RIGHT, if you pass on the left you see no toll plaza and there is just an overhead electronic scanner and cameras . . . .

From the airport to PC you will pass TWO tolls (a second plaza opened just last week) with 75 cent toll at each.

Florida toll roads and electronic collection

https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

on the bottom half of this site is very interesting information about the WIDE RANGE of cost options depending on your choice of rental company.

Note that on the Beachline from the airport to PC, the cash lanes will be TO THE RIGHT, if you pass on the left you see no toll plaza and there is just an overhead electronic scanner and cameras . . . .

From the airport to PC you will pass TWO tolls (a second plaza opened just last week) with 75 cent toll at each.

Thank you for that info and for the link. I have ressies at National and Budget right now, so maybe that will help decide. Copying your post into my itinerary right now.

Thank you for that info and for the link. I have ressies at National and Budget right now, so maybe that will help decide. Copying your post into my itinerary right now.

Just a FYI regarding National/Alamo/Enterprise toll programs. We have a toll by plate program. The cost is 2.00 per day with a max. of 6.00 per rental PLUS your tolls. If you choose to use it, just drive through the tolls, if you choose not to use it, just pay the toll in cash. You do not need to do anything to activate it (other than drive throught the toll) and you do not need to do anything to decline it (other than no use it). The charges, if used, will show up on your credit card a week or so after your rental ends. It is a very nice program and amazingly simple.

Just a FYI regarding National/Alamo/Enterprise toll programs. We have a toll by plate program. The cost is 2.00 per day with a max. of 6.00 per rental PLUS your tolls. If you choose to use it, just drive through the tolls, if you choose not to use it, just pay the toll in cash. You do not need to do anything to activate it (other than drive throught the toll) and you do not need to do anything to decline it (other than no use it). The charges, if used, will show up on your credit card a week or so after your rental ends. It is a very nice program and amazingly simple.

I like that better than Budget. I have both reserved to wait and see if anyone is charged the ins/taxes from the KLM code. Will use that with National if I can. Thanks for letting me know!

I like that better than Budget. I have both reserved to wait and see if anyone is charged the ins/taxes from the KLM code. Will use that with National if I can. Thanks for letting me know!

You are most welcome!!!! Regardless of who you choose, I hope you have a wonderful vacation!!

We have a toll by plate program.

Can you tell me who the "we" is in your quote? Are you talking about the state of Florida or a company? It sounds like the car companies charge a lot for the convenience of the e-toll.

Can you tell me who the "we" is in your quote? Are you talking about the state of Florida or a company? It sounds like the car companies charge a lot for the convenience of the e-toll.

The "we" he is referreing to is Alamo. Gmeh1 works for Alamo.

I work for Alamo/National. I don't think that we charge a lot for the convienance of the tolls. It certainly is a lot less than the fine you would incur if these programs were not in place or opted out of. It is certainly a lot less than buying a transponder for use in FL.
You have the option of not using these plans if you wish, no one is forcing you.
I cannot speak for the other rental companies and frankly, I don't wish to. I explained my company's program to the best of my ability. We cover our administrative costs with the fees and our agents do NOT get a commission on this plan.

I work for Alamo/National. I don't think that we charge a lot for the convienance of the tolls. It certainly is a lot less than the fine you would incur if these programs were not in place or opted out of. It is certainly a lot less than buying a transponder for use in FL.
You have the option of not using these plans if you wish, no one is forcing you.
I cannot speak for the other rental companies and frankly, I don't wish to. I explained my company's program to the best of my ability. We cover our administrative costs with the fees and our agents do NOT get a commission on this plan.

I appreciate you explaining the policy! So, if I rent a car for 10 days and go through two tolls (let's assume they are $1.50 per toll), one on day 1 and one on day 10, then I would be charged $2.00 for the two days plus the cost of the tolls $3 for a total of $7? That seems better than having to worry about having quarters to me or worrying about being in the right hand lanes.

Thank you!

what is the wendie code and where can i get it?
i am looking for a one day rental to get from the pier to the airport (w/a lot of hours to do something fun in between!) :)

I cannot speak for the other rental companies and frankly, I don't wish to. I explained my company's program to the best of my ability.

It might be a good idea to identify your employer in each post where it's relevant, so that people who don't "know" you know whose program you're talking about.

I appreciate you explaining the policy! So, if I rent a car for 10 days and go through two tolls (let's assume they are $1.50 per toll), one on day 1 and one on day 10, then I would be charged $2.00 for the two days plus the cost of the tolls $3 for a total of $7? That seems better than having to worry about having quarters to me or worrying about being in the right hand lanes.

Quarters and dollars are easily gotten before the trip; I go to the bank to get ones and fives for bell services, etc, tips anyway, and adding some quarters into the mix isn't hard.

And while I can't speak for the drive to the Port, the toll roads I've experienced in the Orlando area could not be marked any better. How anyone misses a toll I have no idea, since they are marked so wonderfully.

And while I can't speak for the drive to the Port, the toll roads I've experienced in the Orlando area could not be marked any better. How anyone misses a toll I have no idea, since they are marked so wonderfully.

I'll tell you how; being focused solely on the exit number for the exit to the port area, I zoned out on reading any other signs till I drove right past one of those right-hand toll areas. I'd never seen one before and didn't know to pay attention for them.

Nope, you would be charged 5.00 total. 1.00 for day one and 1.00 for day 10and 3.00 for the two tolls (1.50x2=3.00). 1.00+1.00+3.00=5.00
I agree, it is better than worrying about having quarters or the right hand lane and it is usually much quicker.

It might be a good idea to identify your employer in each post where it's relevant, so that people who don't "know" you know whose program you're talking about.

Quarters and dollars are easily gotten before the trip; I go to the bank to get ones and fives for bell services, etc, tips anyway, and adding some quarters into the mix isn't hard.

I believe I covered that in prior posts on this topic. I believe I identified National/alamo's program in prior posts on this topic.

I can totally understand how people miss the toll. As wonderfully marked as they are, people are in a strange location and are looking and concentrating on other things. We at ALAMO/NATIONAL try to inform our renters about the toll roads, what to do if they want to pay cash and to be aware of the signs warning of an oncoming toll. Sometimes they listen, but, often they don't. It is a chore to get them to remember that their rental agreement and license needs to be shown at the garage exit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter