Will I have a long walk in Atlanta airport terminal?

Until someone answers specifically, go to the airport web site and look at a terminal map. If you know what the gate numbers are then you'll have a general idea.

Arriving and departing gates are the same thing. A plane arrives at a gate, everyone gets off, and then the next group boards the same plane.

It'll really depend on the exact gates your two flights end up at. You won't know this until a day or two before your flight. If Southwest uses one terminal in Atlanta, the walk probably won't be that bad.

Flying SouthWest - Have a connecting flight in Atlanta how far apart are the gates(arriving to departing).TIA.
Don't be worried about looking at the Atlanta airport terminal map. For those flying SouthWest all their gates are in the same area and the longest walk you'll have from one to the other is 10 minutes.

We flew SWA with a short layover in Atlanta. As others have said, all SWA gates are in the same terminal which is VERY helpful. Our flight out of Indy was delayed at least half an hour, so we ended up getting off one plane and immediately boarding the other.

I've not had a bad walk at Atlanta. Worst case is the two flights are at opposite ends of the same terminal. About a 10 minute walk tops. More likely the two flights will have close gates. I've had to change airlines which means walking to a different terminal. Even that didn't take more than 10 minutes.

Try to find flights for today that are similar to what you will be flying on. Check the flight status and it will show the gates for each then look at the airport terminal map. You'll get an idea of what to expect.

Southwest uses the south side of Concourse C. Basically, it's gates 1 through 22 on this map:

atl_concourse_c_360_wl.jpg

According to the Measure Distance tool on Bing Maps, the furthest distance (C1 to C21/22) is 1,050 feet (320 meters). That's not bad considering ATL is the world's busiest airport.

(If feet/meters don't mean much to you, here's an example: The distance from the entrance of Magic Kingdom to the Mickey/Walt statue in the Hub is roughly 1,000 feet.)

If you were flying on Delta, the situation would be very different, as you might have had to change between the seven different concourses using the underground train.

I'm glad you asked this as I have been wondering the same. We fly alot but 99% of the time it is nonstop. This week we have a layover, in ATL of all places.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!