Will Disney require a vaccine to cruise?

Yes, today I read an article about three test subjects who were part of the trials. The tests are well monitored and they don't say there are any side effects except some light headaches. The only thing we do not know is the effects long term, but my faith in science is big enough for them to calculate in possible long term effects.

I personally think all the cruise lines will require that passengers and crew be vaccinated and rapid tested once a vaccine is found safe and is widely available.

What do you think? Would you get vaccinated to cruise?
It actually wouldn't be "Disney" (or a cruise line) that would require it, it would, more likely, be the countries being visited that would require it. I know of no cruise line specific vaccine requirements. There are vaccine requirements for specific cruises, but they are imposed by countries. And the cruise lines only monitor (at embarkation) whether the people have the vaccine in order to take those cruises.

I plan on being vaccinated, if a vaccine becomes available, regardless if I cruise or not.

Yes, today I read an article about three test subjects who were part of the trials. The tests are well monitored and they don't say there are any side effects except some light headaches. The only thing we do not know is the effects long term, but my faith in science is big enough for them to calculate in possible long term effects.

And, to be fair, we don’t know the long term effects of COVID either.

Lots of viruses have ended up having long term effects long after someone has recovered (shingles from chicken pox, post polio syndrome, SSPE, which is 100% fatal, can occur a decade after seemingly recovering from measles, etc)

I will take the vaccine when it becomes available. I do want to cruise.

It won't be Disney requiring a vaccine, it will be the countries that the ships will port at that could require a vaccine. To me, it will be similar to how certain countries require a tourist visa in order for cruise passengers to leave the ship. This is already normal procedure on the Northern Europe cruises which stop in St Petersburg, Russia. If DCL passengers want to see St Petersburg DIY then you need to get a Russian Tourist Visa before you start the cruise.

It won't be Disney requiring a vaccine, it will be the countries that the ships will port at that could require a vaccine. To me, it will be similar to how certain countries require a tourist visa in order for cruise passengers to leave the ship. This is already normal procedure on the Northern Europe cruises which stop in St Petersburg, Russia. If DCL passengers want to see St Petersburg DIY then you need to get a Russian Tourist Visa before you start the cruise.

Since Disney is a private company, they’d be well within their rights to require proof of a vaccine to cruise or go to their parks if they wanted. Just like they can require that people get tested or wear masks, etc. Cruising is a luxury and not a right.
At least that is my understanding of the issue.

Since Disney is a private company, they’d be well within their rights to require proof of a vaccine to cruise or go to their parks if they wanted. Just like they can require that people get tested or wear masks, etc. Cruising is a luxury and not a right.
At least that is my understanding of the issue.
Yes, but there is a difference if Disney will ask for vaccinations because they have to, to visit certain countries. Or because they want to make the procedure as easy for everyone to work with?

For the first, they will have to obey or sail a different route if they dont want to obey. For the second I think Disney will follow what other cruiselines do. Disney is a follower not a leader.

Yes, but there is a difference if Disney will ask for vaccinations because they have to, to visit certain countries. Or because they want to make the procedure as easy for everyone to work with?

For the first, they will have to obey or sail a different route if they dont want to obey. For the second I think Disney will follow what other cruiselines do. Disney is a follower not a leader.
Which is sad. I don't think they always were.

I don't think Disney would require a covid vaccine any time soon.
Might be a "nice to have" but, unreasonable to force folks (families and children) to get such a new (rushed) Vaccine. Besides, no one knows how long the antibodies will last and there are already cases of persons getting covid for 2nd time. There is still a lot of research and trials needed to really understand effectiveness and safety of new vaccine.

I would say pre-bording covid negative test required and Rapid Testing during boarding will be a more viable dual option.

Might be a "nice to have" but, unreasonable to force folks (families and children) to get such a new (rushed) Vaccine. Besides, no one knows how long the antibodies will last and there are already cases of persons getting covid for 2nd time. There is still a lot of research and trials needed to really understand effectiveness and safety of new vaccine.

I would say pre-bording covid negative test required and Rapid Testing during boarding will be a more viable dual option.

But what if say a country requires cruise ship passengers to have a vaccine in order for cruise ship passengers to get off the ship? Disney may only require the the pre boarding negative test but then when you get to a port, the local authorities require tourists to show proof of vaccine? What would folks do then? Theres going to be some hard choices for cruise passengers in the future, which may see Silver, Gold and Platinum Castaway Members deciding cruising is not the experience it once was.

This will probably morph into credentials that apply more broadly than those to the cruise lines. The travel industry may come up with immunization passports or 'trusted traveler' credentials.

Or, they might not go down the vaccination path at all if an effective treatment becomes available - like the one for influenza.

Disney can require vaccinations on its own even if countries don't. This is the same logic as for pre-boarding testing. The industry is moving towards 100% testing regardless of international requirements. The virus is an existential threat to them, and what they have found out the hard way is that they really have to take leadership on fighting it.

I agree 100%. Listen, I have 3 cruises coming up in 2022, the pre-boarding covid test, rapid testing...a-ok...but a vaccine, ummm I may need to change these cruise plans again. I am not an anti-vaccine person. I have every vaccine I could get, with the exception of the flu vaccine (didn't need it for 10 years now), but this one, as rushed thru as it has been...that's why I wouldn't get it now. Call me crazy but in all phases of life, I would rather remove myself from a situation, then become a part of it... free will I guess.🤔

I see no entity like a cruise line requiring a vaccine in any near future or ever. Fact is they will disqualify millions of potential customers who possibly cannot get the vaccine due to supply issues. What will happen is the vaccine will first be given to the elderly, first / essential Workers, high risk. Once those are protected we will see a drastic drop in death and severe cases. Flash forward Covid will blend in ( if even still so active ) like the flu. If Covid deaths become the level as the flu nobody will require it. And I definitely cannot see cruise lines requiring A vaccine for children. Especially when we look at the Covid data. I know myself as a parent- I would not give my kids the vaccine. Myself and my husband is a different story.

They are just too many assumptions and things we still don’t know Even speculate if they would be required. Or even should be.

But what if say a country requires cruise ship passengers to have a vaccine in order for cruise ship passengers to get off the ship? Disney may only require the the pre boarding negative test but then when you get to a port, the local authorities require tourists to show proof of vaccine? What would folks do then? Theres going to be some hard choices for cruise passengers in the future, which may see Silver, Gold and Platinum Castaway Members deciding cruising is not the experience it once was.
As with South American countries that require the yellow fever vaccination, if a person doesn't have it on embarkation day of a cruise that stops in that country, they wouldn't be permitted to board.

As with South American countries that require the yellow fever vaccination, if a person doesn't have it on embarkation day of a cruise that stops in that country, they wouldn't be permitted to board.

exactly, I think that many regular DCL passengers who just do the Bahamas and Caribbean routes may get a shock if something like this is introduced as standard for all DCL routes

exactly, I think that many regular DCL passengers who just do the Bahamas and Caribbean routes may get a shock if something like this is introduced as standard for all DCL routes

I could easily see the Bahamas requiring proof of vaccination. They are being strict about travel as it is. You have to have a negative PCR test and quarantine for 14 days even if negative.

Mexico has been pretty lax about travel so they may not require it.

Nice question

Its a tough call. If half the people refuse to ever get a vaccine ( in a country, in the world etc ) then you would be cutting out all of those people who are realistically people you also want to spend money on your product. I don't think anyone should be " forced " to get any vaccine. ( if the mortality rate was much higher, thats a different story imo)

Quick 15 min covid tests on the cruise? Sure, if it allows all the restrictions to be gone ( aka no masks on the cruise )

Will I be getting one in general? Maybe, if its proven safe and actually works well to prevent and isn't 40 percent effective.

Would I get one just to be able to cruise? Most likely not. ( I have a cruise booked for late 2021)

I'm not sure it matters. Just because people get a vaccine doesn't mean they magically never get the virus. It will just help mitigate the effects of covid. But people exposed to the virus will still have the ability to spread it, vaccine or not. So you get a cruise ship with 2000 people who have the vaccine thinking they are immune. In reality, that's 2,000 potential carriers coming to your country. So countries aren't going to care as much about passengers getting the vaccine as they are their own citizens getting the vaccine. Once destination countries have 100% vaccination rate, then they can think about letting cruise passengers back in. So maybe Disney should donate vaccines to the countries they plan to visit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!