Will Disney leave the magic in Europe?

Bjn10

Mouseketeer
I was looking at the Magic’s schedule for 2020 and with the possibility of only being able to sail a few cruises out of Miami. I believe there is a strong possibility that they could leave her in Dover and wait for the European season to start

Thoughts?

I think it is a strong possibility and have been wondering the same thing. We have the transatlantic booked but I don't think it will be happening.

I think it is a strong possibility and have been wondering the same thing. We have the transatlantic booked but I don't think it will be happening.

True I also think they may use the Wonder for the Magic’s Miami sailings to start and probably cancel the California season I don’t think the CDC is going to let them have more then two ships in the US at Once and longer sailings make more sense plus you have 2 ports to sail out of

True I also think they may use the Wonder for the Magic’s Miami sailings to start and probably cancel the California season I don’t think the CDC is going to let them have more then two ships in the US at Once and longer sailings make more sense plus you have 2 ports to sail out of
Actually even if the Wonder doesn't go to the West Coast they'll have 3 if not 4 ports to sail out of, Port Canaveral, Miami, Galveston, and New Orleans. (the latter where the Wonder is intended to go anyway for the winter season). Also other cruise lines are bring more than 2 ships back to U.S. Waters, the CDC has no real say in how many ships can be here, just that they meet the Safety protocols and also pass the Color Coded quarantine status (red/green) once they do return here, which will likely mean each ship will have to quarantine off shore for 14 days with out a positive CoVid-19 test before they can enter any U.S. port. Most likely to alleviate congestion at Port Canaveral (which would be the logical choice for them to set up and operate the "test" cruises out of) and to qualify for certification under the Framework for Conditional Sailing Certificate (CSC) they'll stagger the ships arriving in U.S. waters so that they can run each ship through the process. The Wonder looks like it might be the first ship back, quarantine then start the (CSC) process, with the Fantasy arriving shortly after, then either the Magic or Dream will follow, we'll know more once we see the next ship depart Europe.

I think it's as likely, as I say elsewhere, that they use the Wonder as a hospital ship. They have to have quarantine facility for the Bahamas and CC even doing 3-4 day trips per the CDC, and the easiest way to have that is to use a ship.

It's important to remember that every route they intend to sail must have a full test cruise - you cannot do a test out of PC and say "well, the boarding procedures apply at Miami and Galveston too!" It is each port has to be tested for full embark, testing and disembark.

I think it's as likely, as I say elsewhere, that they use the Wonder as a hospital ship. They have to have quarantine facility for the Bahamas and CC even doing 3-4 day trips per the CDC, and the easiest way to have that is to use a ship.

It's important to remember that every route they intend to sail must have a full test cruise - you cannot do a test out of PC and say "well, the boarding procedures apply at Miami and Galveston too!" It is each port has to be tested for full embark, testing and disembark.

*rolls eyes so hard it hurts*

"hospital ship"?
can you be any more dramatic? c'mon now, this is not WWII.

I think it would be much cheaper to find a land based quarantine facility and who wants to sail on the Covid quarantine ship when this is all over. Very bad PR. The small college I work at has rented out an entire hotel near campus for quarantine so I could see DCL doing the same with a hotel near the port.

I have also been wondering if the Magic will remain in the UK until her Europe cruising season begins. Which bodes well for us (ten night Northern Europe cruise Aug 2021) but obviously not for those on the Transatlantic :(

I think it would be much cheaper to find a land based quarantine facility

As I read the CDC return to sail, they have to be able to disembark infected passengers at both Castaway Cay and at Nassau. I don't see Nassau having the capacity required to contract, and CC is obviously its own issue.

I don’t think it’s likely, mainly because I think the European season happening is even less likely than sailing resuming out of the US anytime soon.

I read the Framework document and didn't see anywhere where each port has to test a ship before it can be given it's CSC to begin sailings, just that the ship has the capability to handle the protocols and procedures regarding the virus testing, and facilities necessary for any problems on board. I am pretty sure they will certify a ship at a single port to work out of any US port if they get the certification, especially if they're constantly checking on them. They're just going to require the cruise lines (ALL OF THEM) to guarantee that they will facilitate the handling of any guests or crews that get sick or test positive while on board and make arrangements if they need to offload them at a port for medical treatment or quarantining. The logistical nightmare of certifying every single ship out of every port it goes into would take MONTHS to accomplish and that would require dozens of "test" voyages for the lines and astronomical costs to the cruise lines. I am pretty sure from what I read that the certification can take place with one voyage, it that ship passes it can then make arrangements for revenue sailings.

DCL has a disney park and a fleet of buses. They could have a quarantine area at Disney World.

I think it would be much cheaper to find a land based quarantine facility and who wants to sail on the Covid quarantine ship when this is all over. Very bad PR. The small college I work at has rented out an entire hotel near campus for quarantine so I could see DCL doing the same with a hotel near the port.

Heck, I wonder if a few cruise lines could all chip in to rent out a hotel close to port. Might be cheaper... although Disney does have their own hotels already. They could just take a remote section of one of them out of normal inventory.

MSC has worked with a lot of ports in Italy to create quarantine facilities even when it's just them operating out of them. Very easy and cost effective. Nearby hotels would love to rent out their room inventory currently collecting dust.

I do hope Magic keeps its European summer season. Disney would love nothing less since it's their most profitable. But it has little to do with Disney and everything to do with the virus situation in Europe next year.

As I read the CDC return to sail, they have to be able to disembark infected passengers at both Castaway Cay and at Nassau. I don't see Nassau having the capacity required to contract, and CC is obviously its own issue.

There has to be exceptions for private islands. There’s just no way that a ship would disembark ill, potentially critically ill, patients onto an isolated island without means to get them quickly to hospitals. Cruise lines aren’t building critical care units on deserted islands.

I don’t think it’s likely, mainly because I think the European season happening is even less likely than sailing resuming out of the US anytime soon.

You know Europe already has had cruise ships sailing right? Europe is one of the few areas where sailing are happening currently. Yes the people allowed to sail are restrictive i.e. I think the Spainish ones are only allowing Spanish residents for example but they have been cruising for a few months now with strict protocols in place that are very similar to those now issued by the CDC. If anything I'd be more inclined to think European cruises could well start sooner if Disney had the ability to add to their schedule I'm just not sure they do.

Well it looks like the May transatlantic will be cancelled this week, so its looking a lot more likely that DCL will leave The Magic in Europe until the scheduled European cruises in May.

DCL has a disney park and a fleet of buses. They could have a quarantine area at Disney World.
While I see the logic behind the idea of using WDW resorts for quarantine, I don't think they will do so. Largely because of the existing return-to-work contracts that were negotiated and the impact to CMs who would work at those resorts. That's a guaranteed risk of exposure, and those contracts are all about limiting even potential risk of exposure.

Well it looks like the May transatlantic will be cancelled this week, so its looking a lot more likely that DCL will leave The Magic in Europe until the scheduled European cruises in May.
I think they will drag out the cancellations, as usual, since they like to hold on to the money as long as possible.

While I see the logic behind the idea of using WDW resorts for quarantine, I don't think they will do so. Largely because of the existing return-to-work contracts that were negotiated and the impact to CMs who would work at those resorts. That's a guaranteed risk of exposure, and those contracts are all about limiting even potential risk of exposure.

I know nothing, but I would think they wouldn't use "normal" hospitality workers for this no matter the space they utilize. Surely there are recommendations for care of those in quarantine that would necessitate specialized staff..?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!