Wilderness Lodge vs. Port Orleans French Quarter

Poppins38

Earning My Ears
I am about to book a trip for December 1-6, 2020. There will be 5 adults and 2 children. This will be the 1st visit for my nephews. They will be 6 and 2 at the time of the trip. I’ve read so many reviews about transportation nightmares (not enough buses, long waits, lots of stops, etc). Just trying to make transportation after a long day at the park with two little ones as painless as possible. Anyone stay at either of these resorts? Was transportation really that bad? Any suggestions or pro/cons would be appreciated! Thanks ☺️

We have stayed at both and love both. WL has busses and boats. We always had good luck with both.
FQ has busses and a boat to DS. Sometimes it shares busses with POR.
WL is very close and easy for MK.
Our kids loved the slides at both resorts when they were little. Both resorts now have a splash pad.
I’ve heard the WL is decorated beautifully for Christmas and I have always wanted to stay there in December. WL also has more options for meals and you can see the MK fireworks from some rooms and some common areas of the resort. You can also see the Electrical Water Pageant.
FQ rooms were just refreshed with new furniture and paint.

I would stay at WL.

i myself would choose WL. WL has a bigger pool, the boat to MK, an awesome lobby, beautiful grounds, and restaurants.
POFQ is a nice resort and has beautiful grounds, the boat to Disney Springs, only buses to the parks. It just can't beat the deluxe WL. The biggest difference is the price.
Buses were about the same at both. I think all the resorts have troubles with buses sometimes. It just depends on crowds, events and timing.

We stayed at WL the two times we went to Disney as a family. We are booking it again a 3rd time (can’t convince my husband to stay anywhere else).

We haven’t had any issues getting to MK at all. The boat ride is really nice and they come regularly. I do remember waiting a bit early in the morning for an Epcot bus (we had PPO reservations and I was anxious to get there on time, so the wait probably just felt longer), but then a CM ended up calling for a bus for us. We have not had any other issues. Buses came regularly.

We really enjoy the pool and the lobby is beautiful. Our first stay we had MK views and were able to see the fireworks from our balcony. The next time we had awesome views right out onto Bay Lake.

We stayed at WL the two times we went to Disney as a family. We are booking it again a 3rd time (can’t convince my husband to stay anywhere else).

We haven’t had any issues getting to MK at all. The boat ride is really nice and they come regularly. I do remember waiting a bit early in the morning for an Epcot bus (we had PPO reservations and I was anxious to get there on time, so the wait probably just felt longer), but then a CM ended up calling for a bus for us. We have not had any other issues. Buses came regularly.

We really enjoy the pool and the lobby is beautiful. Our first stay we had MK views and were able to see the fireworks from our balcony. The next time we had awesome views right out onto Bay Lake.
Do you remember what room view you booked for the room that looked out over Bay Lake?

Do you remember what room view you booked for the room that looked out over Bay Lake?
It was a view way back 😂, but it was pretty. We were in the main building and our door was pretty much opened up to the lobby. It was a courtyard view, so I’m sure it was just luck.

It was a view way back 😂, but it was pretty. We were in the main building and our door was pretty much opened up to the lobby. It was a courtyard view, so I’m sure it was just luck.
Ok thanks. I know room view categories have changed since the villas have been added lol.

We LOVE POFQ. It's a smaller resort. With that said.....I think WL at Christmas is BEAUTIFUL!!!! If I had to choose.....I would chose WL,

This is a no brainer. Wilderness Lodge is amazing at Christmas and with little ones, the 10-minute boat ride to and from the Magic Kingdom is a huge benefit. We have spent the last 4 Christmas seasons there.

We have previously stayed at Port Orleans twice. It is a nice moderate but cannot compare to a stay at Wilderness Lodge.

Another vote for WL although POFQ is lovely. WL during the holiday season is especially gorgeous, although that lobby is pretty impressive any time!😄

I grew up going to Disney every year. My husband has only been to Magic Kingdom, Hollywood Studios, and Disneyland. So he is not as Disney crazy as me. I’ve read him all the comments and he was like, “I am getting really excited!” I can see that Disney twinkle in his eyes :jumping1:

I grew up going to Disney every year. My husband has only been to Magic Kingdom, Hollywood Studios, and Disneyland. So he is not as Disney crazy as me. I’ve read him all the comments and he was like, “I am getting really excited!” I can see that Disney twinkle in his eyes :jumping1:
How exciting! My DH loved the burgers at geyser point. He said next trip that’s a must do again 😂 - to have a burger at the pool haha

He loves burgers! We will have to check it out for sure! It’s just funny to see my DH ask questions and make suggestions. We are going with his family and it’s funny to hear him talk with them on the phone. He speaks as though he’s a Disney pro! I love it!!

I would choose WL, like everyone above. However, POFQ is also a favorite, and you can't go wrong either way. For the 6yo especially, WL will have a wow factor that POFQ can't match. My DD was 7 the first time we entered WL's grand lobby, and she just exclaimed "Whoa!" Felt good that my resort planning elicited that whoa.

We have stayed five times at WL and one night (before a cruise) at POFQ. Hands down pick WL. We have stayed at almost all deluxe and this is our Disney “home”. Even my kids are partial. The boat is so easy to MK and the buses are fine. You will inevitable have one bus huge annoyance any where you stay, but I feel that it is less at WL. It isn’t just a lovely feel to enter your room from indoors as well and at Xmas, the tree! I also love Whispering Canyon and Roaring Forks. The whole hotel is perfect IMO.

I also love Whispering Canyon
I second that. Whispering Canyon is a favorite.

The boat is so easy to MK and the buses are fine.
I would only add that the boat is better than the bus to MK, UNLESS you are going for Rope Drop. If that's the case, take the bus. The boat will often start early enough to get you there on time, and if you're up really early you can take the "breakfast" boat. However, they do not promise it, they have it in writing (which they were happy to show me after I was burned) that the boat starts 30 minutes before RD (as in not early enough).

The thing about Wilderness Lodge is that it's not just a hotel, it's an attraction in itself. An event. More than any other on property, including Poly and the other monorail resorts. The grand lobby, the display cases with curated items, the detailed totem poles, the massive fireplace with rock strata duplicating the layers of the Grand Canyon. And the tour... take the tour if you do a pool (non-park) day.

Ask at the front desk for the Hidden Mickey treasure hunt handout. You could spend 3 hours in that place and never see a park, the pool, or your room, easy. The place is filthy with hidden mickeys.

The thing about Wilderness Lodge is that it's not just a hotel, it's an attraction in itself. An event. More than any other on property, including Poly and the other monorail resorts. The grand lobby, the display cases with curated items, the detailed totem poles, the massive fireplace with rock strata duplicating the layers of the Grand Canyon. And the tour... take the tour if you do a pool (non-park) day.

Ask at the front desk for the Hidden Mickey treasure hunt handout. You could spend 3 hours in that place and never see a park, the pool, or your room, easy. The place is filthy with hidden mickeys.

My nephews will love the Hidden Mickey treasure hunt! I will definitely have to ask for one of those handouts!

If you can afford WL, definitely stay there. Stayed 4 times and staying there next trip, it's an amazing resort for kids and adults. Great dining, great theming, not overstuffed with people. Pool isn't great, but you're going in December so that's not as huge a deal. WL is one of the best resorts during Christmas time with the decoration and ambiance. Transportation has always felt good except to AK. Boating to MK is an amazing option, its splits up the WL crowd to and from MK with the bus and boat options.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!