WiFi Access for DVCmembers

jndmommy

Disney dreaming 24/7
Sorry if this has been asked before. We are "going home" for the first time in 3 weeks. We are doing a split stay at OKW & SSR. We plan on bringing our laptop. Wondering if we can get wi fi access from our room and what the charges are. Thanks for any input.

No wi-fi at either of those resorts. Wired HSIA is free to members. You could bring your own wireless access point and hook it up if you wish.

Has anyone brought an iPad to the resorts. I see they have areas for wifi but I am wondering if since DVC members get free high speed if also could get free or discounted wifi.
Wondering if it is worth it to bring iPad - don't want to bring my laptop but want to stay connected.
We will be back "home" on Wednesday at Boardwalk-can't wait!

i brought my own router with me so that i could sit outside at OKW and write this message.

A question - I have a Linksys router at home that I use to connect my iPad as well as DW's and my iPhones to. Can I simply unplug it at home and take it to VWL and plug it in and will I be able to connect through it without any other computer connected? This is a question I keep getting confused about. Do I have to have any connected computer to configure the router when I get to WDW. I really don't want to lug my desktop computer all the way to Florida ;).

A question - I have a Linksys router at home that I use to connect my iPad as well as DW's and my iPhones to. Can I simply unplug it at home and take it to VWL and plug it in and will I be able to connect through it without any other computer connected? This is a question I keep getting confused about. Do I have to have any connected computer to configure the router when I get to WDW. I really don't want to lug my desktop computer all the way to Florida ;).

yes, that is exactly what i did.

yes, if your password is less than 13 characters at home.

I brought my Verizon 4+years-old modem for Kidani Village LIVE feeds 5 months ago (April 2010). Since my home password is more than 13 characters at home, I needed to change to Disney's max 13 characters.

I did that last year at BWV. Connected the cable to the router and my laptop picked the signal right up. I then gave the password to my friend and her laptop picked it up.

yes, the WEP / WPA security personal password.

Well first WEP and WPA are not the same. WEP is the old WPA is the new standard. But this has nothing to do with Disney's High Speed Internet Access (HSIA.)

If you bring your own router (I carry a Apple Airport Express Basestation, for travel) You plug that in you room, and it does Network Address Translation (NAT, also call Masquerading) so everything "behind" the router shares a single address.

At no point is Disney involved with your WPA network. No reason to change your password. So I'm really not sure what you are talking about.

The HSIA that is provided at the resorts (which isn't really on Disney's network, one of the local ISPs does it) they provide you with a private IP address (out of RFC 1918, 10/8 space) so as long as your router doesn't give out a 10/8 address you should be fine (most home units use a /24 out of 192.168/16.) I know the Airports detect that the addresses are being "Double NAT" and warns you.

For what it's worth Disney seems to use 802.x certificates for wireless access to their networks.

Well first WEP and WPA are not the same. WEP is the old WPA is the new standard. But this has nothing to do with Disney's High Speed Internet Access (HSIA.)

If you bring your own router (I carry a Apple Airport Express Basestation, for travel) You plug that in you room, and it does Network Address Translation (NAT, also call Masquerading) so everything "behind" the router shares a single address.

At no point is Disney involved with your WPA network. No reason to change your password. So I'm really not sure what you are talking about.

The HSIA that is provided at the resorts (which isn't really on Disney's network, one of the local ISPs does it) they provide you with a private IP address (out of RFC 1918, 10/8 space) so as long as your router doesn't give out a 10/8 address you should be fine (most home units use a /24 out of 192.168/16.) I know the Airports detect that the addresses are being "Double NAT" and warns you.

For what it's worth Disney seems to use 802.x certificates for wireless access to their networks.

LOL - that was totally over my head!

you're right technically...

note my original reply is my home protected network password is more than 13 characters...

I plugged in my Verizon router at Kidani Village without changing anything to setup protected network, but no internet access and I reached out to Disney Internet Support Team for the explanation.

I plugged in my Verizon router at Kidani Village without changing anything to setup protected network, but no internet access and I reached out to Disney Internet Support Team for the explanation.

You don't get internet access until you goto a website. Because you have to click though the Acceptable Use Policy (AUP.)

Plug in you get an address without out access, they then capture your first http connection, and send you to the AUP once you accept it they redirect you to Disney.com. Which may mean you need to flush the DNS...

(windows)
ipconfig /flushdns

(mac)
dscacheutil -flushcache

Next time DW and I go to BWV we'll both have iPhone's for the 1st time. I wsa thinking of bringing an Apple Airport Express to provide wireless access in the room to keep the 3G data usage down as much as possible. I know when I've used my laptop you need to first to to a web site and access the agreement. If I do that will the iPhones then be able to use the net or do they also need to go to a web page and if yes once I go to another app then Safari will the iPhones still have access? Just curious if that would work or what others have done in the villas to get WiFi on iPhones. Thanks

Next time DW and I go to BWV we'll both have iPhone's for the 1st time. I wsa thinking of bringing an Apple Airport Express to provide wireless access in the room to keep the 3G data usage down as much as possible. I know when I've used my laptop you need to first to to a web site and access the agreement. If I do that will the iPhones then be able to use the net or do they also need to go to a web page and if yes once I go to another app then Safari will the iPhones still have access? Just curious if that would work or what others have done in the villas to get WiFi on iPhones. Thanks

Yep I do it everytime we use our DVC. We have an Airport Express. You have to hit a website (any will do and it will redirect you to the right one) where you accept the Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) then you are all set.

You only have to "accept" on one phone this is because to their system your Airport is accepting the agreement.

<tech talk>
This is because it's based on your IP and/or MAC address. The wall jack only sees 1 computer, and your iPhones are "sharing" the connection.
</tech talk>

johno

Yep I do it everytime we use our DVC. We have an Airport Express. You have to hit a website (any will do and it will redirect you to the right one) where you accept the Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) then you are all set.

You only have to "accept" on one phone this is because to their system your Airport is accepting the agreement.

<tech talk>
This is because it's based on your IP and/or MAC address. The wall jack only sees 1 computer, and your iPhones are "sharing" the connection.
</tech talk>

johno

OK, thanks. Wasn't sure if the 'window' that gets opened with the timer was something that wouldn't work on the iPhone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!