Why would someone take a picture of our house...

Aimros

Zip a dee doo dah!
I work at home a couple days a week, including today. I'm sitting in my office a couple of minutes ago and just happened to look out the window (blinds shut) to see a car stopped in front of my house. I peaked outside and noticed the driver taking a picture of our house and then driving off. Why would someone do this? :confused3 There have been a lot of break-in's in our area over the past few months so I'm a little freaked out!

Banks will sometimes send an agency around to check on properties that they hold as collateral for a mortgage. Perhaps it is innocent as that. If you own, I would call the mortgage company. If you rent I would call the landlord. If you rent it could also be the rental agency checking on things.

Most likely either your mortgage company making sure your home is not vacant or your insurance company doing the same. It could also be your county for property tax records or a real estate appraiser doing a photo for 'comps' for a home sale in your area.

Most likely either your mortgage company making sure your home is not vacant or your insurance company doing the same. It could also be your county for property tax records or a real estate appraiser doing a photo for 'comps' for a home sale in your area.

Oooh! You're right. When we got our assessment from the town, it had a picture of our house taken from the street. So, yes, it could be someone from your town or county. Or maybe Google, for the "street view map"

Are you refinancing? Is your area being reassessed for taxes? They often need updated photos of the property for tax purposes. Perhaps someone else in the neighborhood is refinancing and they're using yours as comp. Perhaps someone likes your landscaping or colors of your house and wants a picture of it to design theirs. Could be a lot of very legitimate reasons.

We did just move in a few months ago, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was for comps. We also just got a letter in the mail from our mortgage company saying something about how they never received our homeowners info (their fault, it had to be sent in order to get the mortgage :rolleyes:), so we had to send some info to them recently. I guess I won't worry about it too much - I'm the worrywart in the family, I told DFi and he casually responded that "it was probably for insurance reasons or something". I wish I could be as calm all the time!

In Md. they take photos of our house/land for tax assessment purposes. :goodvibes

I would call your insurance.
Last year out of the blue I got a letter from my insurance with a photo of my house. I knew it was recent because I had just put a flag out that I didn't have a month ago.
It said that they were cancelling me because I didn't have a handrail on the front steps. I had been with the same insurance agency for over 35 years, 25 here in this house and 10 at my first house.
I called them and told them I would have someone put a handrail up within the next few days and email them a photo but they said no, they were cancelling.
I wound up getting another policy really easy, and pay less now than I had with the first insurance so it was a blessing.
My neighbor is going through the same thing right now, her insurance (different from mine) said they will drop her unless she gets a new roof put on within the month. It is November and cold here. Not a good time to get a new roof. It doesn't leak but they won't wait till spring.

Or someone redoing their house and trying to get ideas for colors? We have to have our house re-sided and new roof from hail damage and I have been looking extra hard at houses as I drive around. Haven't taken a picture yet but if I see one I really like I would.

Has your house/street been Google mapped? cause they drive around with a camera.

Knowing I was moving and most likely would never be in the area ever again I went around my childhood neighborhood and took pictures of the houses I lived in plus some favorite childhood places. I even took a picture of some of my relatives old homes where I spent many hours with them.

I highly doubt that was the reason for the person taking a picture of your home, but you'd never know. I hope it was just what other posters suggested.

We did just move in a few months ago, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was for comps. We also just got a letter in the mail from our mortgage company saying something about how they never received our homeowners info (their fault, it had to be sent in order to get the mortgage :rolleyes:), so we had to send some info to them recently. I guess I won't worry about it too much - I'm the worrywart in the family, I told DFi and he casually responded that "it was probably for insurance reasons or something". I wish I could be as calm all the time!

It is probably your insurance company then. They have underwriters go out and take pictures and do random inspections or it could by the agent (or someone the agent hires) to take a file picture.

It is probably your insurance company then. They have underwriters go out and take pictures and do random inspections or it could by the agent (or someone the agent hires) to take a file picture.

:thumbsup2 This too. My SIL got a notice from her insurance company that the treee house and the trampoline need to come down. They only would have known about them if they had been out to the property.

Big Brother and Insurance companies are watching! LOL

OP, as you can see, there are many reasons why someone could be taking a picture of your house. I still say it is Google! LOL

When I protested our property taxes I had to take pictures of other homes in our neighborhood as comps. Could be as simple as something like that.

When I protested our property taxes I had to take pictures of other homes in our neighborhood as comps. Could be as simple as something like that.

My parents had to do this as well. My Dad felt weird, but the assessor told him it was an important part of his presentation to photograph neighboring properties, and comparable homes.

Or someone redoing their house and trying to get ideas for colors? We have to have our house re-sided and new roof from hail damage and I have been looking extra hard at houses as I drive around. Haven't taken a picture yet but if I see one I really like I would.

This is what I was thinking. I actually took a picture of a house last week that had a lovely color combination, just so that I could show my DH. Unfortunately, he doesn't think we should change the color of our house.

Maybe it was someone from the family that lived their before you. I took a picture of my childhood home recently when I was out that way.

I was writing a book and while visiting Upstate New York, came across a house that was practically a duplicate of the one I had dreamed up for my book...so I took a picture. Felt a little funny doing it, but I just had to do it!;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter