Why will I like the Magic? ...

PHamrick

Mouseketeer
I've only ever cruised on the big boats--the Dream and Fantasy. However, we are going to be cruising on the Magic summer of 2018 (when the bookings open tomorrow!). What will I like about this boat as compared to the others? What upgrades has it had recently? What do I need to know about the differences in this boat and the other two? Any pictures, or info, criticisms, highlights, anything will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

The whole ship was overhauled a few years ago. It has the AquaDunk, new kids splash area. I believe they renovated the adult bars and one of MDR. Check out YouTube there are videos highlighting all the changes.

I will be on the Magic this fall and look forward to seeing the upgrades and changes.

I have also sailed on the Dream. Way less people. Roomer on Castaway.

Also search these boards for threads and photos.

Some people really prefer what is called the Classic Ships. I think any cruise on any ship is always a good thing.

We think the food and service is better on the smaller ships. We like the less crowded feel, and as others have mentioned, CC is less crowded. And we can't wait to check out all the changes when we sail next year!

Things you will miss on the Classics vs Dream Class

• Walking 18 minutes to get from one end of the ship to the other. Much simpler on the Classics
  • Crowds on Castaway Cay - or any port for the most part, 2,000 fewer guests getting off from the Classics
  • AquaDuck - it's fun for a ride or two, so maybe you won't miss it on the Classics
  • Mickey's Mid Ship Detective Agency - you won't miss the kids running around, crowding the areas around the stairs where most of the pictures are
  • Won't have to be to the Walt Disney Theater 30 minutes before showtime to get a good seat, most view are better on the classics
  • Dodging golf clubs if you accidently walk back to where the mini golf is on the Dream Class - no mini golf on the classics
  • You will actually miss the views from the rainforest room in the spa, because on the classics, there is no views to outside
  • Noise level in the MDR's. Still noisy on the classics, but not as bad, and the tables are actually a reasonable distance from one another.
  • Not seeing the performers in the adult entertainment district at late night. Sight lines much better on the Classics. Dream class = if you are in the back, you can't see what is going on up front.
  • Aft elevators and stairway exiting in the MIDDLE of Cabanas. What a pain!

And then there's the state rooms ...
I can't speak for all rooms, but our Mid Ship Ocean view room on deck 2 of the Classics is larger than the comparable rooms on the Dream Class and the Port Hole is much nicer as well. It's also bigger than the veranda room we had on the Fantasy. And the bathrooms have more storage / better lay out on the classics. It was like Disney said - "It's only 6 inches here and there, the guests won't notice ... and we can get many more rooms on the ship"

Meridian on the Dream class is nice, and might be missed by some adults.

Tangled is SO good. Also love the schwarma stand, haha. The slides were both very fun! I do love the Aquaduck so miss that but it's okay. After being on the Dream and Fantasy the Magic does seem smaller but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The Magic is beautiful, as are all four ships.

Things you will miss on the Classics vs Dream Class

• Walking 18 minutes to get from one end of the ship to the other. Much simpler on the Classics

Wow. Is that true? We haven't done a new ship and are considering it in the near future. We have sailed the Magic and loved it, but these new ships sound huge.

@TheWog Yes, i agree with that. I love to walk, but it was ridiculous as far as i was concerned. I felt like I was power walking /sprinting everywhere. LOVE the classics for that reason. But I'm not a "big ship " kind of person.

We just got off the Magic after sailing the Dream a couple of years ago. I don't think we will ever go back to the larger ships, at least not until our kids get older. The smaller crowd was noticeable both on the ship and at Castaway. The tables in the MDRs were a reasonable distance away and there was actual space to move your chairs back if you had to get out. I felt that all the CMs we came into contact with on the Magic genuinely enjoyed their jobs and was told by a few of them that there is more comraderie amongst the crew on the smaller ships. I think we could feel that. Hope you love the Magic as much as we did!

I've only ever cruised on the big boats--the Dream and Fantasy. However, we are going to be cruising on the Magic summer of 2018 (when the bookings open tomorrow!). What will I like about this boat as compared to the others? What upgrades has it had recently? What do I need to know about the differences in this boat and the other two? Any pictures, or info, criticisms, highlights, anything will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!
My son loved the Aqua Dunk drop-down slide.

We had always done the Larger Dream and Fantasy as well until last October when we sailed the Magic to Canada. We loved the Magic. The only thing that I noticed was the tiny elevators. They are about half the size of the ones on the Dream and Fantasy. So using them most of the time was challenging. On the Magic you could fit maybe 6-8 adults on them while on the Larger ships you could fit at least 15.
That was the only thing I saw as a negative. We were on Deck 1 so we used the elevators a lot. But that was the only thing! So I think you will enjoy the classic ships :-)

....The only thing that I noticed was the tiny elevators. They are about half the size of the ones on the Dream and Fantasy. So using them most of the time was challenging. On the Magic you could fit maybe 6-8 adults on them while on the Larger ships you could fit at least 15.
:-)

You must have had some elevator hogs. I've ridden the Magic and Wonder elevators with 10-12 adults, and often a few kids to spare. A bit tight sometimes, but not impossible. Add luggage and you're down to a family of 4.

@TheWog Yes, i agree with that. I love to walk, but it was ridiculous as far as i was concerned. I felt like I was power walking /sprinting everywhere. LOVE the classics for that reason. But I'm not a "big ship " kind of person.
So completely relaxing isn't it. I am all for walking and exercise too, but sometimes that seems a bit much. Thanks for the info.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!