why does disney hate boys

dvc lover 1970

DIS Veteran
From an online article Here is the link why does disney hate boys
I came across this and it got me thinking...why does disney hate boys so much now? Are they trying to over correct for years of the damsel in distress who needed saving by the male character? Why can't they create characters that grow together? In my opinion, the Princess and the Frog had it right, the characters grew together, she was only focused on her work and he was lazy focused on playing- they helped each other to grow. Now its seems most male characters are weak with zero growth or they regress. Attack on titans has an excellent female lead without tuning the males into jokes or sidekicks.

Last edited:
I don't think that's the case at all. There are plenty of recent Disney movies with great male characters. Big Hero 6 comes to mind as the main character, Hiro, shows growth and is also smart and capable, if a little cocky. If you watch the series you see even more development. It has some great female characters too, but there's nothing wrong with that. Certianly, the "princess musical" type of movie is going to skew a bit towards girls, but that's to be expected. I certianly wouldn't call Kristoff a "loser" as the article does - he's great! It is not true that Disney Channel doesn't encourage boys either - they have many, many male leads. The recent show The Secret of Sulphur Springs had a boy and a girl as partners and both were very well protrayed. Basically, it's just a bunch of nonsense by people who feel threatened by females and can't handle even a slightly different dynamic in the hero/damsel in distress storyline.

Last edited:
The reason why Disney has stopped putting storylines that involve romance and love in some of their Princess movies is attract everyone boys and girls by making better storylines for the Princess movies and that's why in the Princess movies today the princes are now considered best friends and crushes of the princesses. Take for example in The Princess And The Frog I never understood why Tiana never says hello to Prince Naveen when she's human and working at Duke's Diner but when Prince Naveen notices Tiana at first he just waved at her and she ignores him? Wouldn't Tiana introduce herself to Prince Naveen with "hello" at first? Also why was she only interested in Naveen when she already had her friend Sammy who was Tiana's actual crush and Sammy asked her to go dancing with him as his girlfriend Tiana said no? This was a shock to me when I saw The Princess And The Frog the first time. But when Frozen came out I was surprised to see boy characters in the film and while Kristoff was the perfect guy I don't know why Hans was put in the movie because when the movie began Hans was nice and a gentleman but later became a villain in the rest of the movie but I don't see what Anna saw in Hans that she wanted to be his girlfriend but she stuck with Kristoff instead. And when Frozen II Hans was replaced by Mattias who was a strong likeable character that boys could identify with. The same pattern is repeated in the Pixar movies when the Toy Story movies came out and it attracted an audience of boys but once that they saw that girls liked Toy Story too Pixar added Jessie to Toy Story 2 to attract girls too. And with The Incredibles released it's audience was also boys and even though it had female characters like Elastigirl and Violet and Edna Mode Mr. Incredible and Frozone were the popular characters that were good role models for boys. And the same thing with Onward when it first came out it appealed to boys and even the merchandise was bought by boys so even though it had female characters in Onward it still attracted boys. But this is maybe a whole new image for Disney to try out while they usually don't dislike boys this new image will appeal to everyone alike

I had to do a TED talk'style presentation at college two years ago. I could pick any topic I wanted, all that it had to do with Marketing. My topic was Disney Princess and 'Image'. How they have evolved throughout the years and how the image of the princesses had changed throughout the years.

My conclusion was that Disney is so fixated on creating strong female characters that the men go to the role of comic side kick, or villain. The man can be anything, anything but the romantic interest. The woman cannot have 'getting a man' as her main focus anymore, which means that the man becomes more secondary to her.

I had to do a TED talk'style presentation at college two years ago. I could pick any topic I wanted, all that it had to do with Marketing. My topic was Disney Princess and 'Image'. How they have evolved throughout the years and how the image of the princesses had changed throughout the years.

My conclusion was that Disney is so fixated on creating strong female characters that the men go to the role of comic side kick, or villain. The man can be anything, anything but the romantic interest. The woman cannot have 'getting a man' as her main focus anymore, which means that the man becomes more secondary to her.
I agree. I feel disney has become so focused on strong women characters that they have lost sight of the male characters and they become nothing but a big joke.

I don't think that's the case at all. There are plenty of recent Disney movies with great male characters. Big Hero 6 comes to mind as the main character, Hiro, shows growth and is also smart and capable, if a little cocky. If you watch the series you see even more development. It has some great female characters too, but there's nothing wrong with that. Certianly, the "princess musical" type of movie is going to skew a bit towards girls, but that's to be expected. I certianly wouldn't call Kristoff a "loser" as the article does - he's great! It is not true that Disney Channel doesn't encourage boys either - they have many, many male leads. The recent show The Secret of Sulphur Springs had a boy and a girl as partners and both were very well protrayed. Basically, it's just a bunch of nonsense by people who feel threatened by females and can't handle even a slightly different dynamic in the hero/damsel in distress storyline.
I tend to agree with the article and I think disney does not know how to portray a strong female without creating a joke of a male character. "Attack on Titans" has a fantastic female lead without turning the males into jokes or sidekicks

I tend to agree with the article and I think disney does not know how to portray a strong female without creating a joke of a male character. "Attack on Titans" has a fantastic female lead without turning the males into jokes or sidekicks

But have they really done this. I don't see Kristoff as a "joke" - certainly Flynn Ryder is not. Nick Wilde is easily on equal fotting with Judy Hops. Maui isn't really the sidekick. In things like Big Hero 6 a male is the lead and it focuses on brotherly love. The same is true for Onward. Soul doesn't even really have any major female characters. I jsut don't think it diminishes the men just because the women are less dependent on them. Heck, I think it makes them stronger men because they can handle that.

https://thefederalist.com/2017/01/05/disney-hate-boys-much-male-characters-losers/https://thefederalist.com/2017/01/05/disney-hate-boys-much-male-characters-losers/
From an online article Here is the link why does disney hate boys
I came across this and it got me thinking...why does disney hate boys so much now? Are they trying to over correct for years of the damsel in distress who needed saving by the male character? Why can't they create characters that grow together? In my opinion, the Princess and the Frog had it right, the characters grew together, she was only focused on her work and he was lazy focused on playing- they helped each other to grow. Now its seems most male characters are weak with zero growth or they regress.

This is why Disney is pushing Marvel.

The reality is that for a while Disney was considered a Princess park. No idea when this started. But I heard this a lot over the last decade.

My recommendation is to watch the A-Team. One of the last few guy shows.

I think it already started with that fathers in princess movies are either an obstacle (Triton, Fa Zhu, Tui, to a certain extent Stephan and Powhatan) or lovable fools (Maurice, the Sultan, Fergus) or dead (Snow White, Cinderella, James, Anna & Elsa's parents).
The fathers are not exactly the best role models for boys, neither are most of the men. I think in Aladdin and Flynn are good examples. Not the thieving part, but adventurous and loving their spouse. Kristoff could be, but he is too bland.

I notice this mostly with the Disney TV shows. Unless I'm not looking hard enough, they tend to be highly female centered (except Sulphur Springs which is 50-50). Seems to be very few non-animated series' with male leads.

I notice this mostly with the Disney TV shows. Unless I'm not looking hard enough, they tend to be highly female centered (except Sulphur Springs which is 50-50). Seems to be very few non-animated series' with male leads.
And the Male leads if they have them are all weak or useless. I think disney needs to learn a lesson or two from Japanese Anime on how to create a strong female without making the man a total looser

And the Male leads if they have them are all weak or useless. I think disney needs to learn a lesson or two from Japanese Anime on how to create a strong female without making the man a total looser

But which male charactes are "losers" really? I can't think of any, even on Disney Channel shows.

For decades, Disney animated films have done poorly with male viewers after they reach their tween years. Disney made Treasure Planet, Atlantis, Dinosaur and a few other films to attempts to connect to this market, but all faltered (as did Fox/Bluth's Titan AE and WB's The Iron Giant). Since Disney couldn't expand into that market, they bought into it instead. With Lucasfilms and Marvel Studios to reach the male tween/teen, so they no longer feel a need to try and connect to male tweens and older with their animated films.

For decades, Disney animated films have done poorly with male viewers after they reach their tween years. Disney made Treasure Planet, Atlantis, Dinosaur and a few other films to attempts to connect to this market, but all faltered (as did Fox/Bluth's Titan AE and WB's The Iron Giant). Since Disney couldn't expand into that market, they bought into it instead. With Lucasfilms and Marvel Studios to reach the male tween/teen, so they no longer feel a need to try and connect to male tweens and older with their animated films.

While this is true, they do still try to connect with male viewers in animation. That's why they have retitles some as "Tangled" and "Frozen" so they are not specifically named after the girls. I don't really know why that matters, I grew up watching Snow White and Sleeping Beauty and liked them just fine as did most boys that I knew. Anyway, they defintiely try to strike a more neutral stance and even out the charactes.

You are right in that many of those traditionally more male skewing adventure movies failed - which is too bad. I LOVE that era of animation and the look of the 2D blended with CGI style. Titan AE, Atlantis, Treasure Planet, Iron Giant - that stuff is all great! Many are at least cult favorites today (Titan AE needs to be added to D+ but I wonder if there are music rights issues). It's a shame that all of those movies became footnotes.

But which male charactes are "losers" really? I can't think of any, even on Disney Channel shows.
Not a total loser, but I don't think they have treated Kristoff very well, especially in the second movie. He is almost an early Disney princess, constantly waiting. And when he gets the chance to rescue Anna and be equal, Mattias is there to help him rescue her. I think they tried to make him 'the perfect man', which resulted in very little personality.

Not a total loser, but I don't think they have treated Kristoff very well, especially in the second movie. He is almost an early Disney princess, constantly waiting. And when he gets the chance to rescue Anna and be equal, Mattias is there to help him rescue her. I think they tried to make him 'the perfect man', which resulted in very little personality.

Okay, but why is it so bad for him to be different? He's well meaning, and a good guy (plus Lost in the Woods was epic!). Does the guy have to save the girl to be valuable? Now, thinking he doesn't get much personality or development is a different matter than the initial conversation. I just don't see Kristoff as a reason why "Dinsey hates boys" - far from it.

Okay, but why is it so bad for him to be different? He's well meaning, and a good guy (plus Lost in the Woods was epic!). Does the guy have to save the girl to be valuable? Now, thinking he doesn't get much personality or development is a different matter than the initial conversation. I just don't see Kristoff as a reason why "Dinsey hates boys" - far from it.
Oh, I don't think they hate boys. I think that's too strong. I think they are so focused on the women that everything they do is to make the women look strong and a good role model. But they haven't found a way to make the boy a good role model too without him being boring and bland. One is the consequence of the other. By lack of a better word, it feels very woke.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!