Why did they get rid of the Peoplemover & Skyway?

And the fellow who fell into the tree, if we are talking about the same fellow, that wasn't accidental, that was deliberate. He deliberately opened the door on the ride and fell or jumped into the tree, with the thought of suing Disney.

OMG. There's an idiot in every crowd! It's the jumpers & spitters that ruin great rides for the rest of us :mad: Ok, I'm over it now ;)

I love the peoplemover at WDW. It is definatly a nice relaxing break from the busy park. The line moves super fast too. When we took the girls there when they were 2 it was their favorite ride and we rode it practically the entire day.

It needs to make a comeback at DL.

some idiot decided to jump out of people mover and since there is no driver, it wouldnt stop... the guy ended up getting runned over... and that freakin mover goes at like 3 mph... :|

Bump.

Just thinking about this again today and I wonder if it'd be too far out to hope that someday they'll give us a new Skyway and PeopleMover.

You know what would be really fun, is a Skyway that went from Fantasyland all the way to Paradise Pier and back. Of course, only those with Park Hopper tickets could ride, but still, that'd be awesome. And all the more encouragement to purchase a park hopper.

Bump.

Just thinking about this again today and I wonder if it'd be too far out to hope that someday they'll give us a new Skyway and PeopleMover.

You know what would be really fun, is a Skyway that went from Fantasyland all the way to Paradise Pier and back. Of course, only those with Park Hopper tickets could ride, but still, that'd be awesome. And all the more encouragement to purchase a park hopper.

I don't know why they didn't set up some kind of transportation system within DCA. It could really use a nice ride that takes you around the park, like the trains or the monorail. They have the trolley for a little piece of DCA but nothing that can take you from one end to the other or around the park.

Many besides me have thought how nice it would be to link the monorail with both parks and the hotels. I know all the arguments against it, but I still think it could be done.

You know what I miss is the Tomorrowland ride where you sat in that egg-shaped pod thingie ... I think it was the ride where supposedly you would shrink :thumbsup2 As a kid, I thought that was pretty cool! Yes, I am embracing my inner dork :goodvibes

I remember this as one of my favorite rides as a kid--shrinking and going into a microscope and going through a snowflake, wasn't it? I think this was a part of the peoplemover, right?

Yesterland is a great resource for lost rides...

http://www.yesterland.com/peoplemover.html
http://www.yesterland.com/rocketjets.html
http://www.yesterland.com/skyway.html

I'm not a huge fan of skyway rides but I love the TTA at WDW and would love for the peoplemover to be revived at DL. I also love the look and openness of the park before they shoe horned the Astro Orbiter into tomorrowlands entrance. Not only would moving it return the open feeling but I was shocked how much of a rush I got from the Astro Orbiter at WDW at night and would love to see DL's returned to it's old location as well.

I remember this as one of my favorite rides as a kid--shrinking and going into a microscope and going through a snowflake, wasn't it? I think this was a part of the peoplemover, right?

Separate ride, called Adventures Through Inner Space. I have fond memories of it too :) When I was 8, it and Mission To Mars really added to the wonder of Tomorrowland for me. There are no real rides like that anymore in tomorrowland, everything is themed or obviously a "ride" if that makes any sense.

http://www.yesterland.com/innersp.html
http://www.yesterland.com/moonrocket.html

EDIT: oh wait, did you mean that the Peoplemover moved through Inner Space? If so, yes it did!

Adventures theru inner space was where star tours is now. I hope they really do upgrade Star Tours , it needs a facelift !

I was so confused by this post until i realized it was from 2007 :lmao:

I think the reason they don't have a transportation that goes between the parks is due to some tickets being one park only. They'd have to have someone checking tickets the whole time.

I also miss the People Mover! I have often thought it would make a wonderful ride into Bert's chalk drawings in Mary Poppins or a different type of Storybook Canal boats, more from characters' POV. Like one scene could be taking riders to the Hundred Acre Wood with Pooh and Piglet as guides and another could be Bert welcoming us to step into his drawing of the carousel horses. :)

The Sky Way I really didn't remember until reading through this thread. I did enjoy it as a kid as I did the Sea World version. 6 or so years ago I went on the Sea World ride for the first time in many years and did not care for it at all--thought I would fall out and didn't feel safe at all.

I miss the People Mover! I keep hoping they can find a way to bring it back, I liked Rocket Rods. The one time I went on it. :lmao:

With today's technology, they could certainly build a new Skyway that was completely safe and make it significantly more difficult for people the throw or spit from the car.

But like I said, Disney should seriously consider connecting the two parks via Skyway. That'd be awesome. Riding up and over the park, the railroad, the monorail, the space in between parks, over DCA. And Vis Versa.

They could even include an optional voice that speaks, just like the one of the DLRR.

The peoplemover at WDW (TTA) is pretty popular. So why would they get rid of the DL one (Which looks like it might have been a little longer ride.)?

And how could Disney not be able to keep the Skyway, but Great America can? They still have it (I was there two days ago and rode it). ?

It's too bad.:sad2:

I really liked the People Mover, too. But once they had taken it out to make room for the Rocket Rods (I never rode them, but they were disastrous--constantly breaking down) it probably wasn't cost effective to put them back into that spot. Most of the original 'transportation' rides, such as the train, the monorail, and the Skyway actually transported people from one spot to another, but the People Mover didn't, so it was pretty tame and didn't help to disperse crowds.

The Skyway was probably removed for a variety of reasons. Yes, someone 'jumped, fell or was pushed' out of one of the cars, but, Disneyland could have added mesh screens to prevent that happening in the future. Un-Disneylike behavior? Well, I can't testify to any 20 Foot High Club, but it probably did happen. I've heard the same rumor about the Doom Buggies.

I don't know why they didn't set up some kind of transportation system within DCA. It could really use a nice ride that takes you around the park, like the trains or the monorail. They have the trolley for a little piece of DCA but nothing that can take you from one end to the other or around the park.

Many besides me have thought how nice it would be to link the monorail with both parks and the hotels. I know all the arguments against it, but I still think it could be done.

I agree. The monorail now goes through Condor Flats. It seems to me that it would be easy for DL to create a stop there. It would require a platform, but no change in the track. The monorail staff check for handstamps and passes already, so I don't think it would be a big deal for them to check for hoppers. Just my two cents worth.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter