Why did Disney cancel so many X-Men related projects?

Well, I think it had to do with bringing that stuff in-house. As far as I know, Netflix cancelled the Marvel shows because of Disney+ being competition. That, plus the re-org of Marvel Television, which had been a seperate division under Jeph Loeb, meant Disney saw the opportunity to move in a different directiion with TV & streaming. When they bought Fox the now had the X-Men rights and naturally wanted them as part of the MCU. Considering the previous series was somewhat imcompatible and that the last few movies had not been well received, they quietly killed it in favor of a reboot. Honestly, those Fox X-Men movies aren't very good, excepting a couple. They don't hold up well at all. I always liked the first one, and First Class is probably the best film in the series. The rest are mediocre at best with many being flat-out terrible or even nonsensical. I think rebooting them into the MCU is the smart movie.

That said, I have grown to absolutely loathe the X-Men so, so much thanks to the comics. They've been bad for a while, but the current direction is so offensive to me - I can't believe they even publish it! They have absolutely destroyed the characters that I once loved to the point that I couldn't care less if I ever see them in anything. Keep mutants OUT of the MCU!

Well, I think it had to do with bringing that stuff in-house. As far as I know, Netflix cancelled the Marvel shows because of Disney+ being competition. That, plus the re-org of Marvel Television, which had been a seperate division under Jeph Loeb, meant Disney saw the opportunity to move in a different directiion with TV & streaming. When they bought Fox the now had the X-Men rights and naturally wanted them as part of the MCU. Considering the previous series was somewhat imcompatible and that the last few movies had not been well received, they quietly killed it in favor of a reboot. Honestly, those Fox X-Men movies aren't very good, excepting a couple. They don't hold up well at all. I always liked the first one, and First Class is probably the best film in the series. The rest are mediocre at best with many being flat-out terrible or even nonsensical. I think rebooting them into the MCU is the smart movie.

A lot are really good. The first two X-Men films are great. First Class and Days of Future Past are both fantastic. Logan is spectacular.

The properties that really needed help were Spider-man and Fantastic Four.

Marvel could have left X-Men alone.

There are a bunch of not so good MCU movies to: Endgame, Iron Man 2, Incredible Hulk, Thor Dark World, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2, and Civil War. Those are all pretty terrible with great special effects.

I'll have to disagree with you there. I liked the first X-Men movie fine for what it was - the good casting helped. I never liked X2 - it's too long and bloated and has been way overrated since it came out. X-Men 3 was actually an improvement, but not by much - it was nonsensical but at least not boring like X2 was. I love First Class, but I'm glad Matthew Vaughn left the franchise for Kingsman. DOFP was so bad I actually checked out of the franchise - it makes zero sense! It doesn't even have internal sci-fi logic. I never saw Logan as it looked just boring to me - not my kind of movie. I also didn't watch any of the further X-MEn movies after DOFP, though their reputation is not good. I think the entire Fox X-Men franchise probably hinges on how much one likes Wolverine - in my case, the answer is not much. He's overrated.

I don't think any of the MCU moveis are terrible - some are just okay, but none have been bad. I really like Thor The Dark World - I think that one catches too much flack. My least favorites are Incredible Hulka nd the first Thor, though they're both certainly decent. I did think that GotG Vol. 2 did not live up to the first one, which was indeed disappointing. I'd put it int he lower teir. Then again, my favorite MCU movies are the Ant-Man ones, so what do I know?

I absolutely loved Civil War and Endgame, so 🤷‍♀️.

Fox was really horrible at keeping the X-Men films good. They'd get one or two good ones (X-Men and X2, First Class and Days of Future Past), then follow it up with a whole lot of garbage (The Last Stand and the two Wolverine movies after it, Apocalypse, Dark Phoenix). Logan was fantastic, but was basically a standalone film.

I absolutely loved Civil War and Endgame, so 🤷‍♀️.

Fox was really horrible at keeping the X-Men films good. They'd get one or two good ones (X-Men and X2, First Class and Days of Future Past), then follow it up with a whole lot of garbage (The Last Stand and the two Wolverine movies after it, Apocalypse, Dark Phoenix). Logan was fantastic, but was basically a standalone film.

I feel like that with Guardians of the Galaxy. The first one was good. The second not so much.

I didn't care for how Endgame ended, nor am I fan of the Infinity Gauntlet storyline. Back then I was mainly reading Amazing Spider-man in the 80s, and then I jumped on the reboot of the X-Men with Jim Lee in the 90s as well as the new Ghost Rider. Those were my pulls. I also occasionally read What If? I have original art for What if Wolverine was a vampire. And now, I'm binge reading all of Hellblazer.

I am liking this incarnation of Spider-man. It's probably the best. I was binge watching some old 1977 Spider-man on YouTube this weekend. I still haven't seen a good FF4 movie, and I have even seen the unreleased one. And I haven't seen a good Ghost Rider one either.

They need to go back to the animated series and see how well they did it (well, at least for the first few seasons)...

Of the canceled projects identified in Wikipedia, the only thing that might have been interesting (to me) would have been the Mutant (Superhero) Registration Act, but I think it's too similar to Captain America Civil War.

Deadpool 3 is still going to happen from what I read.

Like I said, they need to go back to the 1990s and the animated series to do them well. All the characters...

YES! That was the best era of X-Men - the show is based off the comics of the time. That is the X-Men that I love. Unfortunately, it was the movies that ruined the comics, and not in the short term. When the movies came out, everything changed and they have only duge deeper and deeper, destroying the characters that I once loved. It's been hard to watch.

Claremont and Lee doing X-Men in the 90s was great. However, Claremont and Byrne was also good.

And no idea why they killed off Runaways on HULU. That's a good series if you haven't seen it.

Last edited:
Claremont and Lee doing X-Men in the 90s was great. However, Claremont and Byrne was also good.

And no idea why they killed off Runaways on HULU. That's a good series if you haven't seen it.

Oh, yean, the classic Claremont/Byrne and also Dave Cockrum era was excellent! That is probably actually the best stuff, but I think the Jim Lee era is my favorite - it really elevated things. Peter David's X-Factor was great!

I wouldn't mind seeing Generation X with Jubilee front & center...as long as they get a good Jubilee, that is.

I'm thinking they already have their hands full with the Avengers group. Now, granted I never read the comic books as a child and still am only a casual superhero fan, so I couldn't tell you one group from the other or who the cross-over characters are, but it seems that they already have enough Marvel projects in the works to have to worry about a second cast of characters.

I'm thinking they already have their hands full with the Avengers group. Now, granted I never read the comic books as a child and still am only a casual superhero fan, so I couldn't tell you one group from the other or who the cross-over characters are, but it seems that they already have enough Marvel projects in the works to have to worry about a second cast of characters.
This is why I was fine with Fox having them. They have enough material for their own universe as Fox was building too as seen by the cancelled project list. I am excited to see what the MCU does with them and think it's been more consistently good, but know we won't get as many films as we would have with Fox. I know they had some weak ones but I think they had enough good ones too. The only ones I hated were Origins and Last Stand. Liked 1, 2, First Class, DoFP, The Wolverine, and Logan really well, the others were just ok but not horrible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter