Why did Disney build 3 parks in Asia really close together but the 3 in the west are so far apart?

Chuck S

DVC Co-Moderator
Lots of factors in play...companies willing to go into partnership on park ownership, population per square mile, operational/employee costs...and more...

AdamEfimoff

DIS Veteran
Lots of factors in play...companies willing to go into partnership on park ownership, population per square mile, operational/employee costs...and more...
Not my question, just thought of sharing. But you need wealthy people . I always thought of Disney as brand that appeals to everyone. But can only be afforded by the very wealthy

• Chuck S

DVC Co-Moderator
    Yes, but as I said, park operational costs are a factor. Surely in China, with relatively low wages, the parks cost much less to operate...thus admission can be less expensive. I found an old one day pass to Disneyland the other day from the 1980s. The cost was $11.00.

Wages, insurance, and utilities were all much cheaper back then.

fabfemmeboy

Mouseketeer
    Well, the population of each of those cities is huge. There are more people within Shanghai City than in the state of Florida. Add the number of people within a few hours' drive or train ride and it's almost as high as the US population. Japan has a population about 40% of the entire US - and in a much smaller area. Also I think it's kind of hilarious to consider the three Asian parks "close together." Hong Kong to Tokyo is a 4-hour flight, which is comparable to Orlando to Anaheim.

• Connect

Disney News and Updates

Daily Updates and News