Why buy pts at different resorts?

lazydazy8

DIS Veteran
What's the point of having points at other resorts? Do you get priority as them both being home resorts? What if you only have 50pts? Can you still book the resort 11 months out? I didn't think that you could.

I am brand spakin' new. I read through most of the materials that came with our papers last night, but this issue I just don't get.

Thanks in advance.

Amy:upsidedow

You can book with the points you have at that resort at the 11-month window. So if you own 50 points at VWL, you can book a stay there with that 50 points at 11 months. Hope that makes sense.

What's the point of having points at other resorts? Do you get priority as them both being home resorts? What if you only have 50pts? Can you still book the resort 11 months out? I didn't think that you could.

I am brand spakin' new. I read through most of the materials that came with our papers last night, but this issue I just don't get.

Thanks in advance.

Amy:upsidedow

This is one area I'm confused about myself even with members trying to explain the reasoning behind it. Apparently if you own at different resorts it gets your foot in the door at the 11 month mark, but only for the points at that resort. So if you own 50 points at BCV and 150 at SSR you can only book 50 points worth of nights at BCV and have to wait to the 7 month mark to book the rest of the stay with your remaining points. For me, the simplistic approach would be to own at one resort...book at 11 months and then try to change at the 7 month if thats what you want to do. But on the other hand members have found deals through resale for small contracts at different resort so they scooped them up. I'm sure multi resort owners will answer this question better than I can.......
Brownie

Some people might own at different resorts because they don't care about priority booking windows and purchased the cheapest resale contracts they could find, adding points at different times.

More common is probably the member who is looking for the priority booking window at more than one resort. Say you need 300 points for your annual vacation during a busy time that requires reservations before 7 months. You could buy them all at BCV and always stay there. Or, you could split that into two 150 point contracts at BCV and VWL. By taking advantage of banking and borrowing you could stay in BCV one year and VWL the next, taking advantage of the 11 month window at each resort for the points (current, banked or borrowed) that you own at that resort.

We have points at three resorts - OKW, VWL and BCV. We use the smaller VWL and BCV (100 points each) contracts along with banking and borrowing to get at least a 7 day vacation there at 11 months. We had enought points at VWL to get 7 days at Thanksgiving time (four in a one bedroom over Thanksgiving) and three in a studio. At 7 months we changed the studio to a one bedroom with OKW points added, linked the reservations and had 7 nights at VWL.

We own at BCV for Spring Break at 11 months and VWL for XMAS at 11 months. Whats left between the 2 we use for summer trips at BWV.

Another reason may be resale value. Spreading points around gets more of a DVC portfolio in case you want to sell one thats gotten really hot like BCV.

You also can bank and borrow to get 3 years of points at a given resort-maybe you only have 50 at BWV but you can reserve 150 at 11 months out this way, and if you have another 50 at VWL you can reserve 150 the same way.

I can tell you why we added 56 BCV points in addition to 150 OKW. Once they stopped allowing pool hopping ot Stormalong Bay, we wanted to ensure we have access, just in case it gets impossible to book at BCV.

The 56 points give us 11 months access to BCV, and if we Bank and borrow, we can have more than 160 points to use there every third year with an 11 month window.

We have never had trouble booking BCV at 7 months, but we've met several people who hadn't been able to get in there without home booking advantage. I thought with all the new resorts, the BCV pressure would only get worse.

Wow. Thank you for your responses, but I have to admit, I'm still not sure what it all means! LOL:confused3

I am going to continue reading everything I can on here.

I thought that to have the "home" advantage, you had to have enough points to book the length of stay there. Borrowing points from one of the other resorts can't count towards that, so you book at the other resort for the other days and then when the 7 month window comes up, you cancel and change to that resort?

If you have 50 VWL points, and if you have banked all of the points from the previous UY and are willing to borrow all of the points from the next year, you can book a stay up to 150 points with your VWL points at 11 months out.

If you want to add on nights to your stay with other home points, then you have to wait until 7 months out to include those nights.

Bobbi

Wow. Thank you for your responses, but I have to admit, I'm still not sure what it all means! LOL:confused3

I thought that to have the "home" advantage, you had to have enough points to book the length of stay there. Borrowing points from one of the other resorts can't count towards that, so you book at the other resort for the other days and then when the 7 month window comes up, you cancel and change to that resort?

Don't forget that you can bank and borrow those 50 points, or whatever. We have 32 points at BCV that can become 96 pts. with banking and borrowing which allows us to get a studio for at least five nights any time of the year once every three years. We use our 60 pts at HH every other year to get a high season reservation. Some resorts and villa sizes are impossible to get at 7 months, or very difficult, and that time can vary from resort to resort. We own HH for spring and/or summer trips, BCV for fall or winter trips, and OKW for Xmas trips. We can combine pts at the seven month mark to put together a trip that doesn't force us to change resorts while assuring that we have a room we want on the tough to book nights. For example, NYE will be difficult to get at any resort except for at the 11 month mark, especially if you want a particular type of villa. This is especially true if NYE falls on a Sunday thru Thursday.

I can tell you why we added 56 BCV points in addition to 150 OKW. Once they stopped allowing pool hopping ot Stormalong Bay, we wanted to ensure we have access, just in case it gets impossible to book at BCV.

The 56 points give us 11 months access to BCV, and if we Bank and borrow, we can have more than 160 points to use there every third year with an 11 month window.

We have never had trouble booking BCV at 7 months, but we've met several people who hadn't been able to get in there without home booking advantage. I thought with all the new resorts, the BCV pressure would only get worse.

The banking and borrowing is not between the resorts. It's years. So I can combine my 2006, 2007 and 2008 BCV points into one trip if I choose.

I like early Dec. to get VWL or BWV I need to own there. 50 points at BWV (really 45), and 60 points at VWL is enough for a studio for 5 days.

I can also do thanksgiving - 49 at BWV.

What is the minimum # of points you can purchase to get another home resort? If you purchase resale it looks like many of you have around 50pts. Is that the min?

What is the minimum # of points you can purchase to get another home resort? If you purchase resale it looks like many of you have around 50pts. Is that the min?

No, minimum is 25 points and you must purchase at least 50 to be able to finance through DIsney. You can actually add on ANY NUMBER of points beyond 25 at any given time, but the minimum per time is 25, and 50 to finance. We have a friend with an odd number of points....151. I suspect the person who purchased the original contract had a specific reason for that strange number.

More common is probably the member who is looking for the priority booking window at more than one resort. Say you need 300 points for your annual vacation during a busy time that requires reservations before 7 months. You could buy them all at BCV and always stay there. Or, you could split that into two 150 point contracts at BCV and VWL. By taking advantage of banking and borrowing you could stay in BCV one year and VWL the next, taking advantage of the 11 month window at each resort for the points (current, banked or borrowed) that you own at that resort.

What he/she said.

:laundy:

:sad1: One unfortunate reason, and a DVC "dirty little secret": Through a process of point "morphing" members used to be able to tranfer another resort's points into a small acct and reserve all the points at the 11 month window. This was done only by a small number of unscrupulous owners and DVC has (probably) put an end to it. Some DISers believe this was one of the main reasons DVC recently cracked down on limiting point transfers.

:laundy:

with DVC 1 night is a length of stay. With some other timeshares you have to have 7 nts

I own 2 small contracts one at VWL and one at BCV just so if I get the urge to stay there I can. I banked my 05 points and combined the BCV is spend 5 nights in June and then have a 2BR at VWL. I used my 100 points for the Thursday and Sunday night portion and then when the seven month opened up I got my Friday and Saturday.

Honestly we plan to stay at AKV and SSR so I will not be using the points except at the 7 month mark but small contracts sell better so if I decide to sell - it will be fairly easy.

So my question is....since you can no longer pool hop at Stormalong Bay...if you have points there but arent staying there you can still pool hop and use there pool????

[QUOTE="Got Disney";16186901]So my question is....since you can no longer pool hop at Stormalong Bay...if you have points there but arent staying there you can still pool hop and use there pool????[/QUOTE]

No, owning points at BCV doesn't allow you to pool hop there if you are staying elsewhere.

Bobbi

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter