Why are the same day fastpasses locked up?

BabybetterDisney

DIS Veteran
I am at WDW right now. I can get almost no same day fastpasses for the popular rides. For example, in the past few days, the fastpass for Splash Mountain is gone for the day, even though the wait time is 20 minutes in the afternoon! Yesterday, I got the last fastpass for Haunted Mansion at 2 p.m., even though the ride was a walk on at the time! This has been happening every day for my current 10 day tickets. It's like Disney wants to nullify same day fastpasses. I wish we can get the old fastpass system back.

I just came back and also noticed it was a lot more difficult than my last trip to obtain fastpasses. Luckily we didn't need them for most of the trip anyway.

Maybe they noticed that lines were not long and are experimenting with how FP affects the lines. Kind of weird though. DL wasn't very busy before D23 Expo, but I could still get Maxpass, even when the wait was like 5 minutes.

Or more likely, Disney's system is flubbed up again.

The old style (paper) fastpasses could lock up in the same fashion. When they were exhausted for the day that was that. The overhead signs with the (one per ride) come back time went blank and stayed that way for the rest of the day

I suppose that, both then and now, guests fetched/booked fastpasses and did not show up to use them.. If enough FP guests do not show up then the standby lines move very fast.

If a ride goes out of service, guests holding FPs for that ride get to go to other rides' fastpass lines (a few rides not eligible). In addition the affected FP no longer has to be used up before that guest can go after 4'th, 5'th, etc. FPs. Somewhere someone said that FP issuance for each ride is limited to allow for the spreading out of other FP guests from an out of service ride. So there could be many ride slots that eventually go over to standby because there was no need to re-accommodate guests due to rides out of service that day.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter