Why are so many people jumping off rides??

CatNipRules

DIS Veteran
So in the past month I've seen 2 separate incidents with parents and their children leaving the ride vehicles on the Splash Mountain ride.I get that kids might get scared, but honestly I feel that it's the parents responsibility to make sure that they manage their child's expectations.

Let them see the drop from the outside. Let them judge whether they want to ride it or not. Don't force them to. Most of all if they do decide to ride it, let them know that you will 100% not be getting off the ride until it ends.

I am a parent myself and I always set my sons expectations.He also knew that once we got on a ride, regardless of how scared he might get, he had to tough it out until the end.

Are they just getting off on their own in the middle of the ride?! How do they get out?

Do we know that the parents took the children off? I heard one theory that maybe a child escaped/got off by themselves and the parent quickly followed to catch them.

That one yesterday was pathetic.. it was a 9/10 brother holding his 3 year old sister. Where were the parents, still on the ride?
Just get off here before the big drop with your sister meet you out front.
I hope the parents weren't still on the ride. That's pretty bad if they were.I know that's why my son always sat between me and my husband when he was little....

My son and I had to leave Splash last week when he had to suddenly and urgently use the bathroom after an hour wait (and couldn't hold it until after the ride). We were literally at the ride vehicle. We were bummed we had to miss riding.
Yeah, no. Not talking about that. I can totally understand that. Just so you know, the CM's will allow you to leave the line if you ask. Especially since you were so close.

I hope the parents weren't still on the ride. That's pretty bad if they were.I know that's why my son always sat between me and my husband when he was little....
we teach our children they only have to ride it once, you wont know if you like it untill you try it. If my children start a ride they are going to finish it... and then they have the choice not not ride it again.

We have signed up for sports that my kids hated, but they finished the season.

I was told by CMs we could leave (obviously) but that we had to wait in line again to ride. And I guess I wasn't clear on the circumstances of these people leaving. I could only assume that some people thought we were leaving due to fear as we left so abruptly.
Ive been allowed to leave for the bathroom and come back to FP line

I remember one year, just before our visit, someone died on splash, after jumping out of the boat and being struck in the chest by the boat behind. While we were on the ride the next week, they literally stopped everything 3 times and all the lights switched on with an announcement for people to sit down and stay put. I think people were standing up, and the CM freaked out, so shut everything down. Hard to believe people would actually try to climb out of that once you are on your way.

I remember one year, just before our visit, someone died on splash, after jumping out of the boat and being struck in the chest by the boat behind. While we were on the ride the next week, they literally stopped everything 3 times and all the lights switched on with an announcement for people to sit down and stay put. I think people were standing up, and the CM freaked out, so shut everything down. Hard to believe people would actually try to climb out of that once you are on your way.
yes, i think the man died in November 2000. The incident you described was not listed on the wikipedia.

yes, i think the man died in November 2000. The incident you described was not listed on the wikipedia.
yes, I think you are right - it was earlier than I remembered. But the CMs sure were on their toes while we were there. I've never been on Spash since then, where they've turned the lights on.

I think the actual number of people who jump off of a ride after it has STARTED is very small. When something happens as it did recently at the Land, it gets posted/forwarded all over social media, lots of people notice it or talk about it, so one event can appear like a frequent occurrence. Deciding not to ride because your child is frightened/changes their mind BEFORE getting on the ride probably happens quite often and there are provisions for how to exit with no issues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter