Why are Coronado Springs reviews so iffy?

I don't know what your idea of a hike is, but it's a 3 minute walk from the Casitas quiet pool to El Centro. 5-7 min walk to the Digsite from there. There is a video on Buzz's CSR site where someone video taped walking from the far regions of Ranchos to El Centro. The farthest walk possible at CSR and it took 7 mins. You can clearly see in the video the person walks at a normal pace. I guarantee you it is as long or longer walk from the far reaches of most Deluxe resorts. It might seem shorter because you are in a hallway, but it isn't. Tough to do anything at WDW without walking for a few minutes. I don't know why people exagerate the walking distances at CSR so much.

I wasn't exaggerating what the walk felt like to us. Like I said in my original response, we've stayed in a lot of different resorts and it's the only one where it felt like the walking was just too much. If it was a deluxe where some of the walking was enclosed maybe that would have made a difference. I just remember walking back from the Dig site in the August heat and feeling like we had never been in the pool and schvitzing by the time we got back to the room. Just not worth it to me. The OP asked for opinions about why CSR sometimes gets iffy reviews. For lots of people none of this is a big deal, and clearly isn't for you, but for others it might be. To each his own.

I wasn't exaggerating what the walk felt like to us. Like I said in my original response, we've stayed in a lot of different resorts and it's the only one where it felt like the walking was just too much. If it was a deluxe where some of the walking was enclosed maybe that would have made a difference. I just remember walking back from the Dig site in the August heat and feeling like we had never been in the pool and schvitzing by the time we got back to the room. Just not worth it to me. The OP asked for opinions about why CSR sometimes gets iffy reviews. For lots of people none of this is a big deal, and clearly isn't for you, but for others it might be. To each his own.

Obviously I can't dispute how you personally felt about the walk, as that is your opinion. However I want people to have accurate information when choosing where to stay. The jogging trail around the entire resort is listed at 3/4 mile, so the walk from Casitas to the Digsite is about 1/2 of that. Really not a distance many people would consider far.

Just out of curiosity, if the walk around the resort is too much for you then how do you handle the walk inside the parks everyday? Its nothing for me to walk a couple of miles a day while touring the parks. I just don't understand why people can walk around the MK all day but then complain about walking and extra 100 feet to their hotel room. It would be great if all resorts were small and the bus stops, pools, restaurants, and other amenities were only steps away from your hotel room door. But that is very unrealistic. Even the Deluxe resorts are big and require a great deal of walking to get to various amenities.

Just out of curiosity, if the walk around the resort is too much for you then how do you handle the walk inside the parks everyday? Its nothing for me to walk a couple of miles a day while touring the parks. I just don't understand why people can walk around the MK all day but then complain about walking and extra 100 feet to their hotel room. It would be great if all resorts were small and the bus stops, pools, restaurants, and other amenities were only steps away from your hotel room door. But that is very unrealistic. Even the Deluxe resorts are big and require a great deal of walking to get to various amenities.

I agree with you! Even during park days, no way we ever thought the 6-7 min walk was a hike. If you can do 6-8-12 hours of park, what is 7 minutes?

Also, simple suggestion: a day in a theme park can be exhausting if you spend too much time there. Why not leave the park BEFORE the point where coming back to the resort is a pain?

I remember during my first trip, leaving the parks as I was not having fun anymore because I was too tired. Yes, we waited an awful long time and we paid a lot of money to be there... But Isn't it nice to go back to the resort while you still got the energy to take a long walk (and maybe take a swim in the pool!)?

I think that --if you are healthy and got no other issues--the 7 min walk is not the problem: the problem really is how you manage theme park days.

I dont see it as problem if people want to spend longer in the parks and have a short walk at their resort. Certainally nothing to be scolding them about and tell them they are touring the parks wrong. Sheesh.

I know when I stayed in a non preferred room at CBR I didn't think the size of the resort would bug me. But after returning from viewing the fireworks at night the last hing I wanted was a 7 minute walk to the food court for a pop and a 7 minute walk back to my room.

Not wanting that extra walk isn't wrong. People shouldn't try and make others feel that it is.

If I may ask, what was it specifically that your husband did not like about the resort? Was it just too many convention people there? Were they being loud/rude or something? Or was it just the presence of business type people that detracted from his vacation experience? I can certainly understand being annoyed by ongoing refurbishments near your room or building. This would certainly bother me. I also understand the bus stop issue, but usually the main stop at any of the resorts can be terrible. Is there anything else that make him say that he would never stay there again?

I really do think the conventioneer's had a lot to do with it. He wants to feel like he's on vacation, seeing other people on vacation. He's probably not into the whole Mexican style thing like I am either. (but he certainly liked the quesadillas in the food court!). Also, the refurb. The bus --- we were just so close to that stop (which I would recommend you try a different stop,so you don't have full busses going by you). We were in the closest Cabana building and this was before the whole business class thing there.
Also, some people have mentioned it was far to the dig site, etc., and we did not find this to be the case at all. If you are not someone who has health issues with walking, you will be fine. In fact, the appeal of the moderates to me is the walking around.
The food court is not near the main pool. But the gift shop is in there, the lobby and there are plenty of places to sit and take a load off. The main pool seems situated good in the middle and there is a bar there for beverages and the arcade if you need to go in a little AC for a minute. Places to sit, etc.,
To answer your question, I don't think that there is anything else that made my husband not want to stay there, and he did enjoy the PM and the pool area, but he's been to a few places now, and he's happy to return to POR and even happier to be trying out YC.
However, he made the determination right after the trip that CSR was out for the future, before he even saw any of these other places.
Me, on the other hand, would go again, but I would request Casitas next time if I did, closer to the first bus stop after the main one. (walking would not be an issue to me, it's part of the perk!)

Supposedly there is a shuttle that you can take around the inside of the park too, like a golf cart, but we only saw one once or twice and had people, so not sure how easy that is to get, but we were near El Centro, so maybe if farther it's more accessible?

Really? My experience at POR was great bus service at any part of the day. I was there for a week in early December two years ago.

I think it depends on which stop you take and also the time of year.
We go when it is very busy and found the East bus stop to be bad, busses filled by the time they get there, etc., However, that is the last stop that all but the MK bus makes (2nd to last there), guess they may be trying out a first stop on 1/2 the epcot busses now, but I think that played a part there for us, just as the main stop for all but DTD did at this resort.

I dont see it as problem if people want to spend longer in the parks and have a short walk at their resort. Certainally nothing to be scolding them about and tell them they are touring the parks wrong. Sheesh.

I know when I stayed in a non preferred room at CBR I didn't think the size of the resort would bug me. But after returning from viewing the fireworks at night the last hing I wanted was a 7 minute walk to the food court for a pop and a 7 minute walk back to my room.

Not wanting that extra walk isn't wrong. People shouldn't try and make others feel that it is.

Totally agree! :thumbsup2

I'll happily walk for miles and miles around the parks. I just don't want to do that at my resort. IMO parks are for touring and resorts are for relaxing. ::yes::

We were over there two year ago for thanksgiving day and found out that the only way of making it to the parks earlier was skipping breakfast and waiting in the south depot stop. We were there for 10 nights and could not made a pattern of how the bus service works. I hope this September we have better luck since is slow season and the FDP was only offered with pins.

We're a little OT, but to MK- West Depot is first. For AK and DHS, South Depot I first, and for Epcot, South depot is first, but sometimes they are using a access road where East is first.

Just out of curiosity, if the walk around the resort is too much for you then how do you handle the walk inside the parks everyday?

:rotfl2:

Maybe they have electric scooters for the parks!

I was not reprimanding (I read my last message twice and I still can't find what part of it you see as "scolding", sorry), nor telling them they were touring the park "wrong".

Nor did I say that it was "wrong" to want short walks in your resort.

Although it is not written in bright and flashing lights on my profile, I should mention that I am french canadian and I am doing my best when it comes to writing in english.

So, if parts of my text are not "nuanced" enough and/or "lost in translation", I'm truly sorry about that.

I really do think the conventioneer's had a lot to do with it. He wants to feel like he's on vacation, seeing other people on vacation. He's probably not into the whole Mexican style thing like I am either. (but he certainly liked the quesadillas in the food court!). Also, the refurb. The bus --- we were just so close to that stop (which I would recommend you try a different stop,so you don't have full busses going by you). We were in the closest Cabana building and this was before the whole business class thing there.
Also, some people have mentioned it was far to the dig site, etc., and we did not find this to be the case at all. If you are not someone who has health issues with walking, you will be fine. In fact, the appeal of the moderates to me is the walking around.
The food court is not near the main pool. But the gift shop is in there, the lobby and there are plenty of places to sit and take a load off. The main pool seems situated good in the middle and there is a bar there for beverages and the arcade if you need to go in a little AC for a minute. Places to sit, etc.,
To answer your question, I don't think that there is anything else that made my husband not want to stay there, and he did enjoy the PM and the pool area, but he's been to a few places now, and he's happy to return to POR and even happier to be trying out YC.
However, he made the determination right after the trip that CSR was out for the future, before he even saw any of these other places.
Me, on the other hand, would go again, but I would request Casitas next time if I did, closer to the first bus stop after the main one. (walking would not be an issue to me, it's part of the perk!)

Supposedly there is a shuttle that you can take around the inside of the park too, like a golf cart, but we only saw one once or twice and had people, so not sure how easy that is to get, but we were near El Centro, so maybe if farther it's more accessible?

Thanks for the insight. Convention people certainly are not going to bother me. I tend to ignore most everyone else in the resort and do my own thing, unless their behavior becomes disruptive. It doesn't matter to me that they are not on a vacation or what clothes they may be wearing. The walk doesn;t bother me either, I actually enjoy a peaceful walk in the evening. The only reason I would be walking over to the main building would be to go to the bars for a few evening drinks. I was thinking about Casitas or Ranchos for our stay.

Thanks for the insight. Convention people certainly are not going to bother me. I tend to ignore most everyone else in the resort and do my own thing, unless their behavior becomes disruptive. It doesn't matter to me that they are not on a vacation or what clothes they may be wearing. The walk doesn;t bother me either, I actually enjoy a peaceful walk in the evening. The only reason I would be walking over to the main building would be to go to the bars for a few evening drinks. I was thinking about Casitas or Ranchos for our stay.

It sounds like you will enjoy yourself and have a great time. It seems like you probably would wherever you stay with a positive attitude.:goodvibes.
It is a pretty place and enjoy the walking and the pepper market (remember.... get the churros from the dessert lady! yum!)

I have been staying in the ranchos section during my last vacation in WDW... Although it's the longest walk, it's so cute with the cactus and rocks.

If I am not mistaken, the Casitas are considerer "preferred".

I have been staying in the ranchos section during my last vacation in WDW... Although it's the longest walk, it's so cute with the cactus and rocks.

I apologize, I meant the Cabanas area.

Casitas 1-3 are preferred. 4 & 5 have standard and waterview rooms. I really like the Casitas 4 location, we always requested that before they invented Business Class.

It sounds like you will enjoy yourself and have a great time. It seems like you probably would wherever you stay with a positive attitude.:goodvibes.
It is a pretty place and enjoy the walking and the pepper market (remember.... get the churros from the dessert lady! yum!)

HAHA I have a good time where ever I go!!:cool1: I just keep seeing people mention the convention guests as a deterrent to staying here and was wondering if there was more to it than just the fact that they are not there on a vacation. Seems a little silly to me that those guests would ruin a person's stay just because they happen to be there for a convention or meeting. To me it sounds like they would make the resort better. I doubt they are using the buses or the pool areas as often as the regular guests, so that should alleviate some crowding. Plus, if Disney wants to make the rooms at CSR a little nicer than the other moderates to attract convention guests than fine by me!!:thumbsup2

I agree about the scolding. People can vacation however they want. I just want people coming here looking for information to make a decision to have accurate info to base their decision on.

The reality is that a lot of the Deluxe resorts have the same amount of walking, but don't get the bad rap for some reason. The other thing that makes me laugh is that people who complain about walking or room location are too cheap to,pay for an upgraded room. Stating they don't want to spend the extra money. While than don't complain about your room location!! :lmao:

Is there any trick to receiving a room location request. My DD 11 had a " cactus" incident a few years back. She wont walk near one- Is ranchos full of them?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter