Why are all Universal hotels selling out in September?

jeffers102

Earning My Ears
I have been booked at HR for months for a stay between 9/17 - 9/24, but I usually check once every day or two to see if AP rates are available to reduce the rate. For at least the last month, all hotels are completely sold out, which just seems strange to me. I even changed the dates to Tuesday - Thursday and still sold out at all hotels. I understand it's HHN (that's part of the reason we're going!), but am I missing something else happening around then?

I was expecting it be "slower", similar to mid May 2021 (our last visit). Now I'm worried it's going to be crazy busy, even on weekdays in September.

We have found this. We came out to Florida from the uk in May and decided we wanted to come back again I Sept or Oct. We stayed at Universal Dockside and wanted to either have a villa or stay in the same location.

The villas were really expensive (unless a long way out) with no confirmation of where we’d be until we land and so we looked at hotels.

It was really hard to find one but we got lucky and one a room at dockside again, however it’s more expensive and was harder to secure the room for 10days vs the 14days we visitors in may.

Really looking forward to coming back and then next May we want to do Disney and all the Disney parks, just hope they stop the pre booking of days you seem to have to do now as it’s hard to pre plan when you’re visiting from such a distance and want to do multiple things.

Can anyone advise on the impact of the halloween stuff at universal on us normal attendees, apart from the apparent closing earlier I’ve heard of?

Thanks

This was Hogsmeade in the afternoon in May 2021. I wasn't expecting crowds this low, just hoping it's not too insane :)

Attachments

• hogsmeade.jpeg
    hogsmeade.jpeg
    82.4 KB · Views: 58
I have been booked at HR for months for a stay between 9/17 - 9/24, but I usually check once every day or two to see if AP rates are available to reduce the rate. For at least the last month, all hotels are completely sold out, which just seems strange to me. I even changed the dates to Tuesday - Thursday and still sold out at all hotels. I understand it's HHN (that's part of the reason we're going!), but am I missing something else happening around then?

I was expecting it be "slower", similar to mid May 2021 (our last visit). Now I'm worried it's going to be crazy busy, even on weekdays in September.
For the last week in September, several Georgia county school districts have the week off. There's a lot of pent-up demand and this is the first good for travel September since 2019.

For the last week in September, several Georgia county school districts have the week off. There's a lot of pent-up demand and this is the first good for travel September since 2019.

I'm in Forsyth and we originally wanted to go the 10th-17th for this reason, as our kids fall break is the 26th-30th, but that didn't fit schedules (we aren't bringing our kids this time). I guess I underestimated the pent-up demand! It will be a ton of fun regardless of crowds as I've never done HHN before, but everyone likes lighter crowds!!

I'm in Forsyth and we originally wanted to go the 10th-17th for this reason, as our kids fall break is the 26th-30th, but that didn't fit schedules (we aren't bringing our kids this time). I guess I underestimated the pent-up demand! It will be a ton of fun regardless of crowds as I've never done HHN before, but everyone likes lighter crowds!!

It is going to be busy-busy!!

But, hope you enjoy your first HHN......I guarantee it won`t be your last as most folks become a little addicted to the event!!!

I will be at a conference in late September in Orlando. Orlando is a big conference town. And since the pandemic a lot of businesses and organizations are going back and having in person meetings

Plus going down to the parks for Halloween have spread out to September. Busy time in October and September. And Lot more people are coming down to Florida to be here expecially after the pandemic.

Last edited:
As others have said Halloween Horror Nights. It basically makes it so Universal has a "third" park if you go that night there is so much to do and see. September is perfect sense its more than warm enough to enjoy Volcano Bay as well. Horror Nights pushes Universal into a true Disney competitor when its going on IMO.

I've been checking daily to change room categories at the Yacht Club for our two-night WDW stay this October, and there's been nothing. I don't know if it's conferences or what, but there's no availability there or the Beach Club, my mom just lucked into a slot for her RV at Fort Wilderness yesterday. I imagine all the hotels in Orlando are seeing high demand this Sep-Oct since the AP discount WDW just dropped doesn't even include Sep dates. For our last Universal trip I booked early with the Savvy Traveler rate and was glad I didn't wait for AP rates because by the time they came out our resort was sold out for everything except the most expensive suites. I think as soon as I know my travel dates for any Orlando trip from here on out, I'll book something as soon as I can, and if I luck into a discount later, then great, but if not, at least I will have the hotel and room I want.

I think as soon as I know my travel dates for any Orlando trip from here on out, I'll book something as soon as I can, and if I luck into a discount later, then great, but if not, at least I will have the hotel and room I want.

This is definitely the way to go! As I understand it, if you call, they are always willing to reduce your rate if it's advertised at a cheaper rate. Ensuring you have the dates you want is paramount!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter