Who's Who in the Olympics?

Viki

<font color="green">Mid-town Manhattan, anyone?</f
OK, the Winter Olympics has officially kicked off. So who's who? Any rumors - or "straight up" knowledge - about any of these girls and boys? Certainly a skater or two has to be family? Here's the place to post over the next two weeks as we die and rise with each of their failures and successes!

Frankly, I'm pretty clueless about most of them this year and I'm not sure how riveting I just found the Nordic combined!

Not sure about the Olympics, but in the Gay Games in the figure skating competition there were 90+ gay men and only 10 women. In the hockey competition it was 90+ women and only 1 men's team. The men's team had to play women or forefit.

I know for a fact that Brian Boitano is gay. His partner had an apartment in NYC not far from where I used to live and we saw them quite a bit. Dick Button is, as is Ken Shelley ( pairs skater in the late 60's early 70's) Randy Gardner is on the list as well.

I am not sure about any of the current Olympians though.....

Linda

It's obvious that skater Johnny Wier plays for our team. I'm not sure about the other two American boys, and I'm sure that the girls are all straight. As for commentators, there should be no doubt that Mary Corruthers is gay. I haven't invested enough time to look into other athletes as of yet.

Mary Carrillo is definitely gay. She and her partner live in a building owned by some friends of my partner in NYC. I forgot about her. The jury is still out on Christine Brennan....some report yes, others report no.

Linda

This is great, guys, but when you mention an athlete would you please mention what sport they are competing in? That's how clueless I am. Dick Button? Really??? Brilliant!

All the names of athletes mentioned in my posts were figure skaters. Christine Brennan is a commentator/sports announcer and author.

As for Dick Button, I believe that he was married for a time....mostly as a cover up. There was a scandal back in the 70's at the rink in NYC where he attempted to pick up some of the promising young male skaters....for private lessons shall we say. He is also a mean spirited so and so, who doesn't seem to have a nice word for anyone.

Linda

LJC1861 said:
All the names of athletes mentioned in my posts were figure skaters. Christine Brennan is a commentator/sports announcer and author.

As for Dick Button, I believe that he was married for a time....mostly as a cover up. There was a scandal back in the 70's at the rink in NYC where he attempted to pick up some of the promising young male skaters....for private lessons shall we say. He is also a mean spirited so and so, who doesn't seem to have a nice word for anyone.

Linda

Thank you, Linda, and wasn't Dick funny last night, going on about how none of the pair skaters got sufficiently low in their spins. I thought he was going to have a coronary. By the end of the evening, he was sounding like a grumpy old man complaining that no one could keep up the standards of the sport!

There was an article about Dick Button in the New York Times this morning. It was not very flattering and made him seem like a crass curmudgeon.

Dick Button ALWAYS has something to complain about. Usually it is in the ladies competition with their layback spins....he usually does not like the position of the free leg. It seems that this year is sit spin year......we will see what else he has to say during the competition.

There was a benefit for the USFSA Memorial Fund at Sky Rink in NYC several years ago. There were famous and not so famous skaters all over the rink that week. Most of them were so gracious, signing autographs and talking to the young skaters who were just in awe. Dick Button was rude, demading his own private waiting area and making rude comments about costumes and skaters who seemed a bit out of shape. I was assisting with making sure that the celebrities were comfortable and had what they needed while waiting. I tell you, I just lost all respect for Dick Button after that event.

Linda

Hey, friends, is it bronze or 4th for our Jeffrey Buttle?

Ironically enough, Dick Button is the only celeb I've ever seen at WDW. :) I guess this would have been during the marriage - it was back before EPCOT and I remember my mom getting all excited about seeing him with his family. They were in line with the rest of us, but she wouldn't let any of us go bother him during his vacation.

No reliable rumors/facts on anyone else........

Oh, and Buttle made it to the podium for a bronze.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter