Who's the cutest little third wheel? - USO, HHN & IOA trip report Oct 2016 COMPLETE

I'm still with you on this trip !

Your pictures are fantastic!

Watched all your videos and it made me ooh and aah
Can remember them clearly now for when I was there last month

Haha, I usually forget to take the videos but now with such easy embedding tools in the forums it's easier to share, so remember a lot more. Unlike pics I think they help you remember all the little details right down to the noises and music... and chainsaws. Of course the chainsaws.

I love this report! I'm wanting to go to HHN now. Sigh...

Hey angry duck! Cool name. I agree, that's the problem with writing or reading a trip report it makes u happy to remember all the fun but sad because you want to go back. But there has always next year!

Thanks for reading along.

Day 6 – Saturday is a time for chillin’

Saturday was a no park day! Saturdays are always crazy busy in the parks, especially around HHN, so we decided to completely skip the parks for the day. As I mentioned before our Frequent fear+ pass wasn’t valid for Saturdays anyway.

Our plan was to do some pool hopping! Initially we’d wanted to go to the Hard Rock pool but in the morning it seemed like such a hassle to get all the way over there, getting to city walk and getting a boat… meh. So we decided to go to the Royal Pacific. After walking back from the parks the day before we realised just how close the hotel was to us.

We packed up the pool stuff (of course including my Jurassic World beach towel) and left the room at about 11am after having a loooovely lie in. Oh it was soooooo good.

8Cz5czw3zuANO.gif

We walked to the Royal Pacific and had a lookie around the lobby. I must admit, this kind of hotel is my kind of hotel. I love the warm woods and the Polynesian style. I mean I absolutely love Cabana Bay and I know the two hotels are in different leagues but if I was ever to bump up to a Universal “luxury” hotel, I’d choose this one.

We didn’t take any pictures I’m afraid but we spent a good 4 hours at the pool just relaxing, swimming, snoozing and drinking. They had a water volley ball net up and some balls so we played that for a good amount of time. It was really funny because I was diving all about the pool to hit the ball. Martin on the other hand was just standing there and yet still managing to hit the ball back! Most of the time anyway.

After a lovely time at the Pacific we headed back to CBBR. We’d only been picking at food because we wanted to have an early dinner. We took our time getting ready for the evening and caught the bus to city walk at about 5pm.

We headed down city walk and had a lookie in some of the shops. At about 6pm we checked into Margaritaville.

TtUk9GXW50iVq.gif

They said it was about a 30 minute wait and gave us a buzzer. I asked if the buzzer would still work if we went over to the other bar and they said yes, so that decided what we’d be doing for the next 30 minutes then!

I’ve always wanted to have a frozen margarita at the plane bar and now my wish came true. I had a mango flavoured one. It was so GUD!

20161015_164748.jpg

and Martin had a tropical flavour (non-frozen). It was so nice and relaxing to just sit at the bar and watch the world go past. It felt almost serene (might have been the alcohol).

20161015_165129.jpg

Nibblin' on sponge cake
Watchin' the sun bake
All of those tourists covered in oil...

If I’m honest it was seeing the pictures of the food from Margaritaville on the Dis that made me want to eat here so I was really excited! After chilling by the bar our buzzer went and it was time for us to eat! We got a great seat right by the stage so we could take in all the restaurant.

20161015_172054.jpg

It was really cool! Our waiter was awesome, really friendly and a real relaxed kind of guy. We ordered more drinks, Martin had a frozen margarita as he’d had a taste of mine and really liked it. I had the “mood ring” margarita. I mean just look at it! Its amazing!!! Loved this drink and would totally have it again.

20161015_173429.jpg

YYIeKT80xZNzq.gif

For food Martin had some chicken with mash and green beans. He said the chicken was lovely and not dry at all and the mash with gravy had a great flavour.

20161015_175036.jpg

I had the seafood mac n’ cheese which the waiter said was his personal favourite and he was sorry if the dish didn’t quite to make it to the table. Haha. Well it did make it and I can totally understand why he loves this dish. The shrimp was cooked tender and the cheese sauce was rich and so flavoursome! I loved every bite. In fact while taking a picture Martin was trying to rob some of my dish. Oi! Get off it!

20161015_175032.jpg

I was so stuffed after my dinner but Martin wanted to order a dessert. And BOY DID HE! I mean just look at it!

20161015_182642.jpg

That is a mountain of whipped cream. They bought over two spoons and I managed to eat about 4 bites of it but I really couldn’t eat any more. It was chocolate and banana sponge. The flavour was amazing.

We did some shopping the store, I got a gift for a friend back home and a fridge magnet for us. I also found a new friend.

20161015_184635.jpg

Martin wasn’t a fan of my new friend. party pooper.

I put my friend back, paid for my stuff and headed outside.

Day 6 - City walk is a wonderful place

Back outside the sun was setting. It was so beautiful.

20161015_190014.jpg

I must say it was really hard to be so close to HHN and not actually able to go in! Awwwwww…. CHANCE! I miss you!!! But I’ll see you tomorrow OK???

4FkCdEl7x0fug.gif

We decided to have a lookie around the Hard Rock Hotel and as luck would have it a boat had just started loading.

20161015_190008.jpg

20161015_190024.jpg

The boat ride was really relaxing and when we docked we thanked the captain. Feeling like some sub level riff-raff we entered through the lobby. The most expensive hotel on Universal property??? Hey, let’s crash this party. Hehe

We had a look around, at the rock memorabilia.

20161015_191538.jpg

I used their bathrooms next to the conference center and OMG! They were huge! I swear I’m not making this up. There was a blooming conference table in the ladies toilets! Ok, maybe it wasn’t an actual conference table but it was big enough to fit about 10 people round it! I don’t think I’ve ever been is such a large toilets before.

We looked around the pool, they were having a dive in movie (I had no idea what movie it was!) and it was a nice atmosphere. After looking around the shop, this is the only other picture I took of the hotel before we walked back to city walk.

20161015_193350.jpg

It was a cool hotel but I’m not sure if I would pay the premium to stay here. I much preferred the Pacific resort.

Back in city walk Martin and I had some drinks in the bars. I didn’t take any pictures because… well lets blame the alcohol for that too. We visited the Bob Marley bar and Pat O'Brien's. We drank, chatted, listened to the music and generally had a nice time.

We headed back to the hotel as some time at night and crashed. The plan was to lie in again on Sunday morning and do our last night of HHN in the evening.

Nice pics and update.........I haven't had a mood ring Margarita yet........and it's purple.........lol...

Food is off the menu for us at Margaritaville now, but will go back for cocktails........will definitely be trying that one!

Food is off the menu for us at Margaritaville now, but will go back for cocktails........will definitely be trying that one!

Oh no! How come? was that the restaurant that made you ill? The margarita was really yummy! Loved the colour... and the glass they served it in looked like it had glitter in it so it was sparkly!

Oh no! How come? was that the restaurant that made you ill? The margarita was really yummy! Loved the colour... and the glass they served it in looked like it had glitter in it so it was sparkly!

No didn't make me ill........I didn't mention in my trip report but there was a few things that were unusual about our visit this time.............but, 5 or 6 years ago Margaritaville was a much better place to go.

Menu was better and we never had issues.......this time even when we just ordered appetisers, they were nowhere near the standard they used to be.........so although we like the cocktails........won't go back for food.

We did sit at the bar one night and watch them make up the cocktails from scratch which we enjoyed........yes, your did look nice and glad to hear you enjoyed your meals there.............:)

Day 7 – Sunday Funday

Sunday was another lie in day. We took our time getting ready and headed down for a cooked breakfast. Martin had the typical everything and the kitchen sink breakfast which he liked. I had the breakfast flat bread which is basically egg, cheese and vegetable wrapped in a flatbed so it’s like a long tube. I had it last time and I actually think this years was better than last years. Yum!

We filled up the mug and went back to the room to grab our pool stuff. We wanted to sit at the other pool today, with the waterslide (away from the building works). On the way through the lobby I noticed that reception was pretty much deserted so I asked if it was possible to have a slightly later check out as our pick up wasn’t until 2pm the following day. She said no problems and gave us until midday.

Back at the pool we enjoyed sitting in the sun and swimming in the pool. That’s when something happened! Martin had popped back to the room and I was on my own sitting on a sun bed opposite the end of the water slide. Suddenly the life guard blew his whistle very loudly. Immediately the water over the top of the slide and on the slide stopped. I looked up just in time to see him launch himself from the high chair and swim to the bottom of the slide where a kid was in real big trouble. In a matter of seconds it was all over but I mean… wow. The reaction of that guy, it was amazing. :eek:

What I’m not going to do is get into a tirade of why this happened… to be honest I don’t know the full story and who knows what actually came about. All I know is that lifeguard is amazing. Some people can get really funny when lifeguards enforce pool rules but I will always follow their direction. They do a good job.

We left the pool around 2pm and got ready for our last HHN.

We got the bus to the park and once we were in we headed over to the New York street. We had a bit of time to spare so we rode The Mummy. After we chilled and waited for the Blues Brothers to start. I love this show and I hope it stays for many more years!

DSC05680.JPG

20161016_143706.jpg

Its only a short show but has so much energy and its fun to dance on the street.

20161016_144517.jpg

Transformers only had a 5 minute wait so rode this again. I made it my mission this ride through to find the lifts (I was on the back row so I didn’t disturb anyone). I found them although I can’t remember which scenes it lifts you and puts you back down!

We headed back to the front of the park and I was feeling peckish so I decided to get a rice crispy cake. I don’t know what Americans do to their rice crispy squares but they taste so much better than the ones in the UK.

20161016_162635.jpg

I couldn’t believe the size of it! Martin and I were remarking how it was big enough to be a house brick. Remember that… it will be important in a minute.

Walking down Hollywood we spotted Doc Brown and Martin said let’s get a picture. He walked over and the Doc and asked. He said of course. Noticing me he saw what I was carrying and said “what is that?!”

I, before thinking, very straight faced and matter of factly said, "oh it’s a house brick.”

That was it, the actor completely cracked up. I mean he lost it, he really laughed. Realising what I’d said I laughed too. He said “A house brick is a funny thing to bring to a theme park.” I explained that it was a rice crispy cake and Martin and I thought it was so big it looked like a house brick. It was so funny… after he managed to stop laughing he apologised (no need) and said it was just unexpected and he didn't expect me to say house brick.

We took a picture and he saw our button and congratulated us on our marriage. Probably one of the funniest, if strangest character interactions we’d had. I'll remember it for a long time. Fantastic!

20161016_162909.jpg

We hung around the New York holding area this time so we could do the Exorcist again. It was just as good as last time and I managed to get a proper look at the walking down the stairs section. The priest bent over Regan’s body managed to get me AGAIN this walk round. Why is it always the same section!

We did Walking Dead again because it was the other house open to us and had the same thoughts as last time. It’s OK, just zombies though. I did like the sewer tunnel section however. That was really immersive.

Ghost Town had just opened so we did that again. I love the sets of this house, the way the theme permeates through every scene and its grand feeling. The Saloon is two stories high! I mean where else would you get that in a haunted maze?

We headed over to the back of the park and did Texas Chainsaw Massacre a last time. *MEGA EMBARRASSING STORY TIME* We were walking through a really, really dark part of the maze and I had no idea where I was going. I think Martin was confused too and we ended up trying to walk into a boo hole… the leather face actor pressed the trigger and before I knew it I was pretty much face to face with him! Other than being scared out of my mind as I was NOT expecting it, I pretty much died of embarrassment and quickly moved onto the next area… OMG. I know in the grand scheme of things this isn’t that embarrassing but I nearly walked into that actor.

At the end of the maze, once you get outside. I saw a leather face way in front of me and thought “I see you, you can’t get me!” then suddenly another one popped out from behind a bush to my left. I must admit this is the only time I’ve ever RAN from an actor but they really scared the heck out of me!

We walked though Chance’s house again. This time I did wear the glasses and I still liked this house a lot! No idea why I just do!

As we were in the area and the queue was only 5 mins we rode Men in Black. Once we were out looking at the boards all the houses queues had rocketed so we decided that was enough for now.

I got the grey refill for my cup. I asked the lady what it was and she said it was just a mixture of the other two. Without thinking I said “it kinda looks gross”. The two attendants laughed and said it tastes good though. She handed over my cup and yea! It tasted good. She said “I told you”. I paid and thanked them, they said enjoy your night.

20161016_193139.jpg

We spent some time in the scare zones (sorry no pictures) but here is a POV video of Lair of the Banshee... watch the video to the end its really funny!

Also another POV video of Survive or Die.

and decided to catch another showing of Academy of Villains. Here is video Martin took.

#GOING to upload tonight#

It’s a good show but the jury is still out for me. I was thinking about the crazy guy, he must have so much energy back stage, either that or he just crashes until the next show. What do they do if he’s sick? I’m assuming they don’t have a backup?! Or do they?!

After the show I grabbed the red Chance drink and we did have a look at Krampus on the boards… 40 minutes. Ouch, no thanks. We went over to Diagon Alley and I took some photos while I was enjoying my drink.

DSC05683.JPG

We rode Gringotts one last time.

DSC05684.JPG

I took some more night time photos of the area.

DSC05686.JPG

The dragon breathed some fire. We were chatting to a TM about the dragon and they kept referring to the dragon as she. I asked why and they replied can’t you tell she’s a lady dragon. LOL. I should have replied "well of course SHE'S A LADY DRAGON." but I didn't think of it at the time.

DSC05687.JPG

We walked around the scare zones for a bit longer… here is a video from Dead Man's Wharf.

It was about 11:30pm and all the queues for the houses were massive. Even the ride queues were all above 20 minutes so we decided to call it a night. We wanted to get up early to enjoy our last day at the theme parks before having to head home.

We got back to the hotel and hit the hay. One last night’s sleep on the world’s most comfortable hotel mattresses, one last sleep in an amazing hotel.

No didn't make me ill........I didn't mention in my trip report but there was a few things that were unusual about our visit this time.............but, 5 or 6 years ago Margaritaville was a much better place to go.

Menu was better and we never had issues.......this time even when we just ordered appetisers, they were nowhere near the standard they used to be.........so although we like the cocktails........won't go back for food.

We did sit at the bar one night and watch them make up the cocktails from scratch which we enjoyed........yes, your did look nice and glad to hear you enjoyed your meals there.............:)

What you said about Margaritaville is pretty much what happened to us in Bubba Gumps. Such hugely different dining experiences between one visit and another.

We'll have to sit at the bar next time we go then :) watch cocktail making

What you said about Margaritaville is pretty much what happened to us in Bubba Gumps. Such hugely different dining experiences between one visit and another.

We'll have to sit at the bar next time we go then :) watch cocktail making

Lol.......I won't eat in Bubba Gumps again either........what can I say......maybe I'm fussy.........:D

I am gearing up for our trip next week and enjoying this report. I am NOT thrilled with how soaked I may get on the water rides but I am prepared with quick dry clothing as I won't disappoint my son by not going on them.

I am gearing up for our trip next week and enjoying this report. I am NOT thrilled with how soaked I may get on the water rides but I am prepared with quick dry clothing as I won't disappoint my son by not going on them.

How exciting! Your trip is so soon Cleopenn!

Going on the Water rides that's the same technique I use! Quick dry clothing all around. Usually in the heat I'll be dry again within an hour. Just avoid the AC shops after! So cold :cold:

Lol.......I won't eat in Bubba Gumps again either........what can I say......maybe I'm fussy.........:D

If I'm honest I'm in the same boat. I was so disappointed! Ah well, it's just forced us to try other places which is no bad thing. :)

Day 8 – Beginning of the end

So this was it, full circle, we started on a Monday and it going to be ending on a Monday. However the flight back to London Gatwick wasn't until 6pm so there was still time to have some fun at the parks! We’d done some packing the night before so we rolled out of bed, got dressed and headed out the door.

We were in city walk about 8:30. As we were walking past the AMC cinema a smell hooked me and wouldn’t let go. I had to give in and get myself a HUGE cinnamon bun…

20161017_081235.jpg

Oh my goodness this was so good. We ate it as we were strolling towards Universal’s gate and it was soft, warm, sticky and sweet, Martin and I shared it and ate every last crumb.

We walked into universal studios and saw Marilyn Monroe! We got a selfie with her of course.

20161017_082010.jpg

Walking a bit further up we saw Rip Ride Rockit only had a 5 minute wait and I had a score to settle.

As you might remember last time I’d timed out at the last second when trying to get to the secret menu. I’d succeeded in getting to the menu but stupidly pressed the delete button instead of enter just as it locked me out.

This time…

This time was to be different.

H8du6BplZ6Pmw.gif

The queue was actually non-existent, probably the smallest I’ve ever seen it. We got seats in the second row from the front and as soon as I was buckled in I pressed the logo at the top of the screen. I counted to 10… watching all the while as the lift hill got closer and closer. I counted 8…9…10 the menu still hadn’t appeared. I began to panic. But no wait, I lifted my thumb pressed again and there was the menu! I typed 7 0 2, so close to the lift hill now! I quickly pressed enter as hard as I could and yes!!! It was locked in!

I got the message, “we can’t record a video with this song” I didn’t care, I was on cloud nine, as the train’s nose lifted to the sky, we were lying flat on our backs as the best Metallica song ever filled my ears. The initial guitar solo at the start of “for whom the bell tolls” wailed out of the speakers.

I tell you what. Listening to one of my favourite songs of all times, while riding a roller coaster is just amazing. It really adds to the experience more than I can gush about. It. Was. Amazing.

xTnj7s9kx230Q.gif

When the ride was over I was buzzing, we went back to the lockers and I quickly looked up another code to try. Skipping back around there was still no queue at all. I listened to paranoid by Black Sabbath (Ozzie version) and again, it was amazing. I was singing the whole way round!

Those were my two best experiences on Rip Ride Rock’it and I hope to repeat it when I go to Universal again.

We hovered around Hollywood and saw the Simpsons camper van.

20161017_085823.jpg

Selfie with Audrey

20161017_085802.jpg

We also went into the best shop in the whole darn park. I can’t believe we’d never been in this place but they sell stuff from the parks. By stuff I mean, signs from HHN’s past. Costumes. Props, they even had 2 of the Twister cows for sale. $2000, a bit steep for me, but it was so much fun browsing through all they had. We had a chat with the guy behind the till. It was fun learning about where some of the bits and bobs had come from.

After we’d seen all there was to see we headed towards IOA.

20161017_090341.jpg

We headed straight for the Hulk which said it had a 20 minute queue (it didn’t). We opened a locker and unfortunately someone had spilt coke inside of it so we used martins ticket to open another, coke free, one. On the way into the Hulk we let the TM know the number of the locker with spilt coke inside. The queue was barely 10 mins long and we noticed there were only 6 people in the front seat queue so we jumped in!

20161017_093710.jpg

How exciting to be at the front! Here is a funny story that might make some of you cringe. I got my “special click” and relaxed ready for the ride to begin. We turned the corner onto the lift hill and started our accent. Half way up we accelerated to the first roll and just as the ride went upside down my harness unlatched its self.

Don’t panic peeps! It hadn’t completely come undone but it hadn’t quite clicked in fully so I had unlatched to the next ratchet point.

Calmly and quickly I pulled the restraint at the bottom of the drop, and used the g-force to secure it back to the clip. *click* It was back to being a nice firm restraint. But it was a bit strange to feel the harness coming away from me!

After we grabbed our stuff and headed towards Hogsmede. We took some pictures on some of the props. I had to get this one because I’ve got another picture from 2006 which I can compare now.

20161017_093541.jpg

We rode Forbidden journey

20161017_094332.jpg

It was good!

Last edited:
Day 8 - Come fly away with me

We took some photos in Jurassic Park area.

20161017_094459.jpg

20161017_094637.jpg

20161017_095314.jpg

The park was getting a bit busier by this point so we decided to hop on a boat to Sapphire falls. The boat ride was lovely. Here are some pictures.

20161017_100921.jpg

20161017_100938.jpg

20161017_101106.jpg

20161017_101448(0).jpg

We hopped off at Sapphire falls and had a lookie around their pool. It was nice. But I must admit I prefer the Cabana Bay one. After we’d been nosy we walked back to Cabana Bay (took about 10 minutes).

20161017_103452.jpg

We headed back to the room and packed up the rest of our stuff. One last check round and we said goodbye to the room and headed to reception for a print out of the room charges. For some reason the TV billing system never seems to work for me.

We head some lunch in the Bay Liner Diner, I had beef pizza and Martin had a margarita pizza. They were both delicious! After lunch we had about 45 minutes to spare so we headed to the comfy blue chairs by the lobby. I had a bit of a nap but soon enough I had a text to say the Supershuttle was on its way.

It turned up about 15 minutes before it was due but we were ready! We were the last couple the bus had to pick up so we headed straight for the airport.

Again I couldn’t fault the service of Supershuttle. It was really cheap and quick for us!

We checked our luggage in and took a picture in front of the massive hotel/mall/airport fountain (I love MCO).

20161017_143830.jpg

I purchased some gifts from the Disney shop for some friends back home. It was really bizarre to have been in Orlando and not done ANY Disney parks… still Disney… it’s your own fault for being so darn expensive!

20161017_151010.jpg

We passed through security, hopped on the monorail and chilled out in the terminal for about 45 minutes but soon enough it was time to board.

The flight was only about half full so I managed to get 3 seats all to myself and got about 5 hours of sleep which was great. I had a 2 hour drive once we were back in the UK.

Last edited:
The End

What an amazing trip! It may have only been a week long but we did so many fun things I have such great memories which I'll cherish for years to come. Our little minimoon was just perfect. Deciding to do only Universal Studios and HHN really slowed down the pace on this holiday which made it much more relaxing and fun.

Thank you so much for reading and I hope you had fun.

I'll hopefully see you all on the next trip report which will be the "official" 15 night honeymoon to Hawaii staying in Disney's Aulaui and a trip to Disneyland in California. We've just booked it!

But for now, bye everyone! See you again soon.

JDTsqJhvLOq9G.gif

Thanks for a lovely trip report
Enjoyed reading it all and your pictures were a great bonus to see!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter