Who Wants To Try a DIS-Meet At Gulf State Park In May-June 2016?

Well if all the women and kids sleep in late guess where a couple of guys (Michael & I) who get up early in the morning wines up at.....
Screenshot_2016-05-30-11-47-17_zpscgnplkvt.png

And then
Screenshot_2016-05-30-11-48-49_zps417jgmmq.png

Nice to look at the stuff you don't really need but want.

Anyway about 9:30 we figured there would be some signs of live back at our campers so we found our way back to the campground. Now Michael is off with his bunch on a alligator Safari, my bunch is hanging out under the awning, haven't seen no one else this morning, I'm guessing Teamubr is catching up on the lost beach time from yesterday.

Garneska stopped by last night with Mallory and Yeti, very nice folks, talked for a little about Disney. Looking forward to our unofficial official DIS meet Friday evening. I'm glad everyone seems to be enjoying GSP and everything around here to do. I'm sure Flametamr is over in the pool which isn't a bad idea, it's shaping up to be nice hot humid Alabama summer day. I was lucky enough to score a site with a nice shade tree. I try to post some pictures today. Everyone is looking forward to the Legend rolling in tomorrow. BTW Bama_Ed, I'm bird dogging your site, will let you know when it opens up.

Last edited:
Great day Randy. Glad you got some shopping in. We've been at the beach all day. My niece and her boyfriend should be in any minute. Then it's time to take her to see the ocean for the first time.

Not sure of our plans tonight. Courtney and Mike may want to relax after a long drive or they may want to sight see.

Also, I'm really surprised at the number of sites that have cleared out already. I thought more people would be staying for the week.

j

I was out early for a run. Bert was about 30 min behind me and probably wished he could have gotten out sooner. It was a warm one. Went to breakfast then the grocery store and Target. The silcone on the ac condensation tube seemed to fix the leak. It is warm here we are sitting out under the awning. Eventually hitting lake Shelby for practice swim session number 2. Right now I am just relaxing. Ed would be proud.

Ed, I hope to help you put a few pieces of your puzzle together. I promise not to be like your daughter and finish it (though I also suffer from that type A personality)

IMAG0232.jpg Did some biking with Joe yesterday

Let the kids climb on the rocks
IMAG0247.jpg

Then went beach roaming and seashell digging
IMAG0254.jpg
IMAG0257.jpg

IMAG0256.jpg

Today we visited Alligator Alley
IMAG0279.jpg

IMAG0294.jpg

Now, to get tonight's meal prepared...
IMAG0321.jpg

Michael I think the alligators would like to eat what you are cooking tonight.

Well DD is now signed up for her classes at Alabama and classes start tomorrow. I am home after sitting through the Orientation for the 3rd (and last) time as a new college parent. DW and I are looking forward to vegging and relaxing at Gulf.

No idea when we will get away but it's about a 5 hour drive for us so I would guess mid- to late- afternoon.

Bama Ed

For the record, Jim, the water temp at the monitoring buoy at Perdido Pass (the big bridge on the Beach Hwy in Orange Beach) got as high as 80.6F yesterday.

Hope you find that acceptable. It is only May after all.

I had to laugh after spending this past weekend camping on Lake Michigan the water temp was only 59 and we are lucky if it hits 70 by the end of summer. But it did feel refreshing on a 86 degree day and five foot waves.

I had to laugh after spending this past weekend camping on Lake Michigan the water temp was only 59 and we are lucky if it hits 70 by the end of summer. But it did feel refreshing on a 86 degree day and five foot waves.

Sundancer, I had to laugh too. If he came back in August, he would find warm enough surf temps but Jim would melt....

I had to laugh today a little at something else. I have sat through these new student orientation orientations before. Most of it from a parent perspective is money wasted but there were a few nuggets today. The lady who did the Residential and Student Life (think "dorms") presentation was roll-on-the-ground funny. Honestly she was a scream. When she got to the part about roommate problems and how her staff spends 85% of their time resolving (or attempting to) roommate problems, she had a great line. She said the process (which her staff runs) requires large amounts of "meditation, medication, and mediation". This lady should hit the comedy club circuit. Her delivery is something I would pay for. If you don't get it, wait till your kid calls you about 4 weeks into their first semester to beef about one of their roommates.

By the afternoon I had given up. I passed on the panel of "Parent Separation Issues" to sit outside in the shade by the fountain and wait for DD to come back from registering from her classes. But it was a great place for people watching.

Oh, I forgot to mention that today was the very FIRST Orientation/Bama Bound of the summer. Naturally, besides myself and DD in our situation there are a number of high school students eager to finish high school in May, graduate, and get to Alabama first thing this summer. Judging by the young MEN I saw going into the building this afternoon, Alabama's football signing class was at Orientation today and the height, width, and general size of these young men gives me hope for Alabama's football future. Things have been a little lean on the vine lately in Title Town (only 4 Natties in 7 years) but the sight of these young men coming in today no doubt was a positive sign that they will be heading to Strength and Conditioning tomorrow which me hope, yes, dammit, HOPE!

I realize things are shifting in the college football landscape what with player bailing out (transferring) from The University of Auburn and the scandal (still more to come) at Ole Miss. But the one constant is Alabama Excellence. Even The Rusty Scupper has conceded that. So for my Ole Miss friends, things still aren't settled.

After all...

Bama Ed

PS - I want to add that my evaluation of the 2016 signing class was interrupted by tiggerdad calling my cellphone number. It broke my concentration and even though he said someone was still on my site tonight, I was a little perturbed because of the sights I had missed. :furious:

Last edited:
tiggerdad I've actually been over here since Friday morning. I've had family in town for the holiday weekend and we have been on RobInson Island everyday with them. I have to head back to work in the morning but I'm planning on dropping in Friday afternoon if everyone will still be there. It looks like y'all are having a blast.

So today.... yeah we (tiggerdad and I) broke some laws... I'll let tiggerdad explain..... like Paul Harvey tiggerdad will be along "with the rest of the story"...

PS - I want to add that my evaluation of the 2016 signing class was interrupted by tiggerdad calling my cellphone number. It broke my concentration and even though he said someone was still on my site tonight, I was a little perturbed because of the sights I had missed. :furious:

Village idiot strikes again...

Last edited:
Ready to go in the driveway waiting on DW <sigh>. :bored:

Sundancer, I had to laugh too. If he came back in August, he would find warm enough surf temps but Jim would melt..
Oh Ed. Melt? You need to come to STL in July or August. While the gulf coast is steaming in upper 90s with 90% humidity, St Louis is having 104 degree days with similar humidity. Add 0 wind speed, no beach and the pool is close to 90.

We come to Disney and the gulf beaches in the summer to escape the 4H weather in STL. ( Hellacious, hazy, hot and humid)

Had some friends that moved to our street after being displaced by Katrina. She moved up in the fall and thought the seasons were neat... And the. The next summer came. She said it was as bad or worse than N.O. it just didn't last as long.

DWs birthday is the first week of August. You're invited to her outdoor party. :D

j

There's been an Ed sighting. I didn't get pictures, but I saw a funny little triangle camper and a couple of Alabama awnings about where he should be.

I may have to swing by and help with a puzzle.

j

Had a great day. First we watched Michael and his daughter zip line and then we all went to the beach. Teamubr family joined us by accident. Next we all went out for seafood. Now we're all stuffed and going to play putt putt golf. There was a confirmed BamaEd sighting. Welcome to the neighborhood. Look forward to meeting you soon.

Flametamr, I am gonna get around to see you too.

Well we got in around 230pm and got set up. Even though I have the Aliner which is quick, a lot of the little things like hanging lights, getting the Mickey lamp set up, and other took some time. We wandered over to the Hub where tiggerdad, southalabama5er, and Teamubr are to pay our respects.

Here is our set up in site 4 (across from the Lake).

And with a helmet tap to jets70, a panorama view from the front of my site:

Some folks have headed out tonight for the local Jimmy Buffet concert. I am chilling here in the dark under my awning listening to my JB Live in Las Vegas CD (I have the poorz) and hoping my citronella candle and the Tiki Gods keep the flies away (along with my fan).

So far it's working - no flies bothering me (or else I need a bath after setting up). :confused3

There is some sort of Gulf State Park wifi signal but it is very intermittent. So I am tethered and rocking the 4g data plan. Gonna have to get up a little early to see the sun come up over the lake at 549am but I am gonna try.

Hope to meet the Garnes again and Joe tomorrow.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Bama
Sorry to go off topic, but did you by any chance travel to Raleigh to see my beloved NC State Wolfpack play your Tide in footall in 1996? Never seen so many motorhomes in my life (until I went to Fort Wilderness in 2014).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter