Who Wants To Try a DIS-Meet At Gulf State Park In May-June 2016?

hey man, don't joke about it. Note in the connecting big lake I've circled the relevant land mass in red.

Untitled.png
I've gone for morning walks along the canal that connects Shelby Lake to Middle Lake (which is the one that fronts the campground). There are pull-through sites along that part of the road which, as you can see, has one side up against the canal. People keep their pets out there on leashes or in cages pretty close to the water and I wonder, when walking by, if I am going to see cute little ol' Sparky's chain leading down into the water with some pretty good tension on it. I have seen some gators in the canal when walking over the Park Road 2 bridge. Not many, not often, but some.

So let's not give tiggerdad or 5er any ideas....:sad2:

Bama Ed

Last edited:
That pic is funny. On the park web site, I thought it said swimming was only allowed in Shelby Lake... WITH ALLIGATOR ISLAND RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF IT!!!

Still waiting for the park to call me back so I can complete the reservation. If it gets closer to noon, I'll call them. I'll let you know which site I end up with.

j

We have gotten used to staying along Gator road. We have camped all over the park though. We just like being off the main road close to the pool. We are usually there if we're not biking the miles of trails. And yes there are plenty of gators. One used to hang out around the campground pier. He stole the best Bluegill I ever caught there. I will see about booking something. Even if I have to cancel camping I will definitely be there for the meet. If anyone wants to see I have more pictures. Just don't want to fill up the thread.

OK. I'm official!

Tiggerdad and Randy, you're going to have to put up with me and drink my wine and vodka. I'm on site 70- Sumac Rd. I tried for Live Oak but there wasn't anything available.

j

Cool!
Then the Disers have sites 70-73. You'll be across the street from me and Randy.

We can go to Ed's site for sunrise coffee. My wife saw his post about being on the lake. "Why couldn't we camp on the lakeside?":headache:

Aight, who else can we get in on this? Hey Denise, tell Frank the fishing is pretty good on that lake...

OK. I'm official!

Tiggerdad and Randy, you're going to have to put up with me and drink my wine and vodka. I'm on site 70- Sumac Rd. I tried for Live Oak but there wasn't anything available.

j

Man, Sumac Road is turning into a ROUGH neighborhood. :scared:

Flametamr, I think we can whet some appetites with some Gulf State Park pictures. And if anyone else has some, please share.

Here is my site from this summer (it was on the aforementioned Sumac Road before that place started going downhill)...

20150530_121317[1].jpg
Here is a view from across the street of Live Oak (looking through an empty waterfront site. The big beach Pavilion is in the distance (free parking for us campers).

20150527_112000[1].jpg
Okay gotta hop off my lunch break.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Our first stay was on Possum Road (Hey, it's a campground in the deep south, what can I say?) Site 326

IMG_4617@.jpg

That big opening in the back was where the trees used to be. Between Hurrican Ivan, Hurricane Katrina, and then the big fire in 2011 it wiped the trees out. Now this did make for some really great sunsets back there though...

IMG_4622a.jpg

Last year we were on Bear Road, site 136

20150522_083336a.jpg

Our last site on Gator road
The nice paved bike paths that go for miles.
My daughter climbing the rocks at a stop on the trails.

A daylight shot of the earlier sunrise picture. Next to the site Ed showed.
Local wildlife (Lefty) with babies hanging out by the trail.

Man, Sumac Road is turning into a ROUGH neighborhood. :scared:
Hey! I resemble that remark.

Oh I see where this is going. As it stands today, I'm coming in last. Uh huh, this is what you guys will look like as I roll in...

That's pretty much how it goes at most campgrounds. I really like the brand new trailers with the brand new (usually under powered) tow vehicle.

Then it's SHOWTIME!! :drinking:

We usually try to head out Friday after work and stay somewhere overnight. That gives us a much shorter drive on arrival day. If that happens, we will likely be in early/mid afternoon. If we don't get out until Saturday morning, we'll drive straight through and probably get in around 7 or 8. Should still be plenty of light left that time of year.

j

Great pics. I was wondering about the lack of trees. Looks like central Illinois. The only thing resembling a tree between Springfield and Chicago has wires or windmill blades on it.
Didn't know there was a recent fire and didn't think about hurricanes. They aren't very common around St Louis.

j

Aight, who else can we get in on this? Hey Denise, tell Frank the fishing is pretty good on that lake...
We'd love to, but, our work is 7days a week mandatory May thru first week of June. :(

Dang I wish I could join you guys, we were in Gulf State Park last July we loved it there. Unfortunately with only 2 guys in my dept and only 1 of us can be off at a time and my coworker already has a 2 week vacation planned for that time frame I wont be able to take off work. When I get home I will post some pics we took over the summer.

We were here for 10 days in July it was screaming hot! We were either in salt water, chlorinated water or shower water. But we had a great time!

Raccoon Road site 116. Main though fare very busy spot.

The pool. This is the fountain part my DD loved it.

The covered part of the pool, it is a great pool. Loved the shade.

Some fresh seafood from S&S seafood very good!

The boardwalk heading back to the parking lot.

The parking lot looking both ways.

Looking the other way, see that water tower thats the entrance to the campground.

One of our sunsets.

Sounds good Teamubr, Sumac Rd is the place to be! Last month we took a weekend getaway trip to Gatlinburg, and we made a few stops at Old Smoky's Moonshine, we have some good drinks as we watch Ed pull in and set up his Aliner.
Screenshot_2015-05-16-21-38-47_zpswp2aimob.png
[/URL][/IMG]
Screenshot_2015-05-16-21-38-47_zpswp2aimob.png
a>
Haha :laughing:

I'm a little rusty on my picture posting...

We will all talk each other into loading up and heading on down to the Fort from GSP.

Teamubr, you got help me talk to Mrs. Tiggerdad about up grading to a fifthwheel, Tiggerdad will just love that!

I'm really looking forward to our trip to FW in February but I'm excited about this trip to GSP. I hope some more Dis'ers tag a long,

Flametamr, glad your gonna swing by, it's crazy that we haven't met up yet, I know your probably only 15 from me.

Bama Ed, I'm going to round up some seafood, you treated Tiggerdad and I and our wife's at the game.

Ohh and Tiggerdad, ........ SQUIRREL!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter