Who says you need kids to enjoy Disneyworld? (Day 5

Floundering Crab

Mouseketeer
Travelers: DH & DW both 50
December 7— (Day 5) AK: Was going to try the tip we got off the boards about walking through the RFC to beat the crowds, but there were no crowds—too cool. Again, must have been the weather. We walked right onto the safari—pays being a party of two. All the animals were out, some acted as though they were posing just for us. Got some great digital photos. Came back out and hit It’s Tough to be a bug. Couldn’t wait to see DH reaction to final bug crawl. . . he didn’t fail me. Walked right into the Lion King show—only about ¾ full. DH was duly impressed. Guess I forgot to tell you this was his first time at AK. Rode the dinosaur ride—they got a great pix of me grinning at the “scarey” dinosaur. (Didn’t buy this one.) Decided to get lunch at Mr Kamal’s for the photo op—well, it’s closed for renovation—poop! Walked over to Tusker House in Africa and wasn’t disappointed. The chicken was delicious as was the rice. Great fast food. Walked over to take the train to Conservation Station. Saw the cutest trained goat act—couldn’t figure out who was better trained—the CMs or goats. Sat in on the Song of the Rainforest then walked back to the train and then hiked the Pangani trail—very nice CMs all along the trail at the ready to share their homeland knowledge. Took some beautiful foliage and animal photos. Walked over to take the Maharajah Jungle Trek to see the tigers—wasn’t disappointed. They too posed. Took in the Flights of Wonder show. Very well presented and when they brought the bald eagle out—the hair on the back of my neck stood up with pride. We tried to find a viewing area for the Kali River Rapids, but didn’t and settled for watching the people stand in front of those gigantic heaters to dry off themselves. Had a wonderful, relaxing day at the park—even went back and took the safari a second time around because of the small crowds. Drove back to SOG to change for dinner at Whispering Canyon Café and wanted to be early so we could take in the decorations—was too blasted cold to go outdoors and walk around. Had a very enjoyable dinner—the BBQ skillet is hard to top, yet as nice as our waiter was, he spent very little time ensuring we got our refills or even to check our beverages. We always enjoy the antics of the restaurant—DH even gets into “shame-shaming” people and waving his napkin around, but like I said, we were kind of left to our own devices this evening. Maybe Disney should be reminded that the adults are the ones who pay the bills for vacations. Returned to SOG and headed to the Sports Bar for a drink. Nice day. We could get used to this pace.

December 8—(Day 6) MGM: We decided the night before to eat at Hollywood and Vine for brunch—little did we know (must have overlooked this fact) that it had been transformed into a Character restaurant. Ah shoot! We’ll just do it! DH is balding on top (says his brains are pushing the hair back) and Goofy and Pluto just wouldn’t leave him alone—they kept rubbing that shiny dome every chance they could. Even got a great up close pix of Goofy and DH. Were there long enough to watch Minnie and Goofy do their little dance. Food was good, but a bit pricey for breakfast, so we ate a lot (our solution, we paid later). After walking breakfast off a bit, tried to coerce DH into going on RRC w/me, but wouldn’t so got a FastPass for myself and made the decision to do it on my own. Walked over and saw Little Mermaid while I was waiting for my FP & took in the Great Movie Ride too. Well, I decided I was going to savor this ride and walked right up and into the queue for the ride. Imagine this 50+ woman, all by herself, marching up and on. . . I did! The gal I was paired with gave me the best piece of advice—I would have forgotten if not for her. . . make sure you hold your head back against the headrests at takeoff, and I mean takeoff. I swear I felt my face squoosh back to my ears and then into the rolls. What a high. Loved that ride, but still couldn’t get the old geezer to go on w/me so only rode it that once. We didn’t even attempt the TOT—knew he wouldn’t go for that either. I’ll get my 25-year old to go on that w/me next time. After my ride we went through the animation tour. That was a pleasant surprise to see the changes since our last time there. Skipped Doug Live and went over to Star Tours—he loves that one, then took in the Drew Carey 3D sounds. Could’ve skipped that one too. Stopped at the 3D sound booth and headed over to find the Magic Lightpost—we did, but when we tried to get the picture of me standing under the umbrella, a couple kids got in the pix and refused to understand the concept of waiting your turn. Scooted on over to the Muppet 3D movie and then onto the Sci Fi for our dinner reservations. We each had all American burgers, fries, and chocolate shakes. They even sat us in the back seat so we could neck if we wanted. We shared our car with the nicest little guys you’ve ever met. When we left I stopped to tell the mother how nice those boys were and that she should be very proud of them. After seeing so many obnoxious children, I really wanted to let her know she’s doing something right. After dinner wandered on over to see the Osborne Lights. The pre-show was pretty lame, and the 3D glasses were not necessary, but what a spectacle. Really enjoyed our walk around oohing and ahhing, and then left MGM w/a smile.

Another great day. I enjoyed the Osborne lights too. Weren't they great!!!

hipgrl1.gif

<FONT COLOR=Red> Co-Chat Mistress</font>
<FONT COLOR=Red>Instructional Chat Co-Host
</FONT>
<font color=Blue> Co-Moderator Trip Reports Board</font>
<font color=green>
<font color=FF00CC>Co-Moderator Theme Parks, Attractions and Strategies
http://www.wdwinfo.com/merchandise/index.shtml</font>

Animal Kingdom is beautiful, isn't it!
Wow, you did RNR coaster on your own, I admire that! I'm too chicken.
That was really nice of you to compliment that women with the great kids, I'm sure she really appreciated it.

snowprince.gif

I got a chuckle out of your husband's interactions with the characters!! My 16 year old son talked me into going on the RRC with him. It was quite a rush, but I don't think I want to do it again!!
Good for you to be so brave. Thanks for posting!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter