Who here enjoyed Rivers of Light?

mshanson3121

DIS Veteran
So I have read lots of negative reviews, people that were underwhelmed by it. Now I want to hear the positive reviews - people who loved it, enjoyed it etc... Did yoyr children enjoy it etc...

It's pretty, we liked the music, we liked the slow build. Our 6yo was pretty happy with it.

We agreed that on a short trip or when something would need to be cut, we could skip this. So, we definitely didn't dislike it and I think you could put us in the camp of those who enjoyed it. But we didn't walk out exactly bursting with excitement.

Even though I thought it was a little flat I really enjoyed it. Loved the music and all the different projections/lights especially the way the horse and bird in white fly/move near the end. I think it's really cool AK has a night show now!

I loved it and would probably choose to see it over most of the other shows. I liked the music, thought the show was beautiful, and I was surprised since I also read a lot of negative reviews for it. We had dining package seats so we were front row and I'm not sure if I'd feel differently about it sitting elsewhere, but I really enjoyed it.

We really enjoyed it. Of course it's not as flashy as a fireworks show, but still well done and fits in perfectly with AK. Of course, we are the "weird" ones that love AK and easily spend two full days (pre-Pandora!) there when others consider it merely a half day park. (which I still can't grasp!)

My only issue is that the night we went, it was a little windy, so some of the effects didn't come through completely.

I enjoyed it a lot more than Fantasmic. Never really cared for that one and have only seen it maybe 3 times in 15 trips.

I loved it. I am bored with Fantasmic and Illuminations. I plan to only see ROL this next trip. I ride BTMR during the show at Magic Kingdom.

We loved it and saw it twice, one significantly older lady, and twenty something daughter. She loved it more. Dancing water, projections, some flames, good music and dancing. Now we are a WC party, beware the winds blowing into the theater or wear a poncho. We saw it from the top of theater and the bottom. Bottom on a calm evening was spectacular, you could see the expressions and the musicians.

Are you trying to decide whether or not you should go see it?

Oh, I'm 99.99% sure we'll see it - my kids love Animal Kingdom, know about the show and want to see it. They loved Fantasmic. But, after reading all the negative reviews, I admit it did make me a little curious as to whether it was worth keeping our children up late for. But, I was just also curious to hear the GOOD reviews, too. I think when you only hear the negative, it can affect how you view it.

Oh, I'm 99.99% sure we'll see it - my kids love Animal Kingdom, know about the show and want to see it. They loved Fantasmic. But, after reading all the negative reviews, I admit it did make me a little curious as to whether it was worth keeping our children up late for. But, I was just also curious to hear the GOOD reviews, too. I think when you only hear the negative, it can affect how you view it.
Yes, But we've learned that there are soo many different people/groups/families that it's virtually impossible to please every single one of em.

Everyone has different tastes....So No matter what any reviews are on any ride or restaurant, we will always give something a try (No matter what ) and decide form there..

Are the seats reserved for the dining package much better than using fast pass seating?

So I have read lots of negative reviews, people that were underwhelmed by it. Now I want to hear the positive reviews - people who loved it, enjoyed it etc... Did yoyr children enjoy it etc...
My son and I liked it a lot. I think having the dining package helped (Tusker House breakfast), because we had good seats (next to the aisle, towards the top of the reserved seating section) without an excessive wait. The view of Discovery River & the Asia section of AK over the water from the amphitheatre was pleasant in itself during the wait. The show was better than I expected, & I had moderately good expectations going in. To give some context, I liked it more than the projections portion of Illuminations, but less than Celebrate the Magic.

It's not a fireworks show- so if people come expecting that level of excitement they're going to be disappointed. I imagine that's where some of the negative reviews come from: there's no way for this show to end with a "bang" like the others. But if you come in ready to see a really cool projection show, you'll have the right level of expectation. Everyone's going to have a different opinion, but Rivers of Light is worth seeing to judge for yourself.

Last edited:
I thought it was pretty and park-appropriate, but it didn't exactly knock my socks off. I will likely see it again, but not every trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter