Who else hates the term “Karen”

Both names are a reaction to actions of that person.
I'd say I see more "Karen" calling on Nextdoor and that at least in my area that seemed to be related to the "suspicious behavior" posts or the "smallest grievance must be taken care of now" posts. I think sometimes the people posting really do have merits for posting but their usage of exclamation points, uppercase letters and just overall tone is usually what gets them called out. I don't much agree with people coming back with "Ok Karen" but I do understand how annoying it can be that every car is suspicious and every person who is walking is up to no good and some people use Nextdoor like that to post their ring videos (which I talked about how iffy that can be on another thread) and stories.

Like this one from a month ago was a post that said "Suspicious Behavior" WATCH BOTH VIDEOS that are posted!! Suspicious behavior. Looking for something, probably packages. Keep an eye out everyone. Please let everyone know if you recognize the couple" and someone responded "ok Karen". On the video it was a couple walking and the young woman stopped behind the truck in the driveway, not right behind it but in the view of the camera it was behind the truck. Another neighbor from across the street responded to the post that she caught it also on Ring and the young woman was just tying her shoe...now of course the homeowner didn't know that but yeah.

It annoys me too, mostly because it’s only used on women. I’ve seen men post a certain comment online and people have a respectful conversation with that person, but if a woman posts the same comment the response is “ok Karen”. It sends the message that what the person is saying isn’t worth even discussing because they are just a silly woman. Also I feel badly for anyone named Karen.
The male version is Kevin.

Calling women "Karen" is just meant to put a female in her place.
If a person is a jerk just let it be that person earn being a jerk on their own merit without any hint of bias towards a whole demographic, sheesh, bigotry is just lazy shorthand for idiots, how is it society hasn't moved past this yet?
**************************************************************************************************************************************

"Mansplaining". Yes, I am a man, and yes, I answered a question asked of me, so yes, I guess it is "mansplaining", so WHAT is wrong with that?

Mansplaining is not that, it is not merely a male explaining a thing. If you are a male you have probably never ever had it happen (maybe the last time was back when you were little in T-ball or something) because men speak to each other with a different degree of respect. Even if they are being jerks to each other there is a certain recognition of an unspoken line that dudes rarely cross with each other, best guess is because they know another man is likely to square off. Next time your household has a need have your wife or daughter engage a predominantly male business on speaker and stay silent to just observe, 90% sure you'll hear it, if not keep doing it a few times, it'll happen. Worst offenders are workmen in a home, anything to do with electronics and buying a car. You will be tempted to step in, don't, just let it run its course and then you'll know.

Mansplaining is either mishearing what you were asked and authoritatively redirecting as if the female you are engaging doesn't quite grasp the whole complicated business of a thing or just lying about superior knowledge assuming the female can't possibly be aware you are making stuff up or even speaking with contempt as if you are lowering yourself to their level. It's basically stealing the power so there is no equality in the social seesaw of the exchange. I can't even count how many times I've needed to endure the whole, "little lady," nonsense including the time my neighbor came out to MY yard and scolded ME on how I was using my fire pit wrong and he never ever ever would have dared that with my DH or my son. Then, if the female asserts herself and calls the guy on the BS the jerk puffs up and escalates. I told my neighbor he has an invention for keeping smoke out of his house and it's called a window which he can close and he went off in a huff like I overstepped, pfffft, line was crossed the moment HE decided it was HIS place to correct me and the fact he didn't get there was a line in the first place made it mansplaining.

I don't really see people do that here much, most adults have mastered the art of asserting themselves without being offensive. Most men are perfectly fine at communicating, the mansplaining thing is a abhorration.

I'm not a fan of either Karen or Boomer, and think both are bullying terms. Karen started out as just someone who would complain to the manager, and I see that as putting a woman in her place--complaining, even if warranted--is not allowed. Now it's used for more outrageous behavior. Still not a fan, though. I find the whole "OK, boomer" thing disrespectful, and I'm not even a boomer (by 2 years). Social media drives a lot of these terms, and I'm not a fan if it, either. I have no Facebook, no Instagram, no Twitter, and my life is better for it.

Calling women "Karen" is just meant to put a female in her place.
If a person is a jerk just let it be that person earn being a jerk on their own merit without any hint of bias towards a whole demographic, sheesh, bigotry is just lazy shorthand for idiots, how is it society hasn't moved past this yet?
**************************************************************************************************************************************

Mansplaining is not that, it is not merely a male explaining a thing. If you are a male you have probably never ever had it happen (maybe the last time was back when you were little in T-ball or something) because men speak to each other with a different degree of respect. Even if they are being jerks to each other there is a certain recognition of an unspoken line that dudes rarely cross with each other, best guess is because they know another man is likely to square off. Next time your household has a need have your wife or daughter engage a predominantly male business on speaker and stay silent to just observe, 90% sure you'll hear it, if not keep doing it a few times, it'll happen. Worst offenders are workmen in a home, anything to do with electronics and buying a car. You will be tempted to step in, don't, just let it run its course and then you'll know.

Mansplaining is either mishearing what you were asked and authoritatively redirecting as if the female you are engaging doesn't quite grasp the whole complicated business of a thing or just lying about superior knowledge assuming the female can't possibly be aware you are making stuff up or even speaking with contempt as if you are lowering yourself to their level. It's basically stealing the power so there is no equality in the social seesaw of the exchange. I can't even count how many times I've needed to endure the whole, "little lady," nonsense including the time my neighbor came out to MY yard and scolded ME on how I was using my fire pit wrong and he never ever ever would have dared that with my DH or my son. Then, if the female asserts herself and calls the guy on the BS the jerk puffs up and escalates. I told my neighbor he has an invention for keeping smoke out of his house and it's called a window which he can close and he went off in a huff like I overstepped, pfffft, line was crossed the moment HE decided it was HIS place to correct me and the fact he didn't get there was a line in the first place made it mansplaining.

I don't really see people do that here much, most adults have mastered the art of asserting themselves without being offensive. Most men are perfectly fine at communicating, the mansplaining thing is a abhorration.
It was a discussion of the best residential burglar alarm monitoring services. Here is what I said that got me accused of mansplaing.

"Just remember, no matter what the salesperson says, a burglar alarm call at an unoccupied residence is a priority zero call for the Sheriff's Department. If there are no other calls pending, and nobody is overdue for their lunch break, they will respond. That's because, according to the Sheriff's Department, over 90% of the burglar alarm calls at unoccupied residences are false alarms. If there is a burglar alarm call from an occupied residence, that is a priority response call because of the potential of injury to someone"

The actual phrase/term doesn't bother me as much as the way people overuse it and revert to it as a "go-to", without any thought. But I feel that way about a lot of buzz words. Phrases like "Woke" "Ok, Boomer" "Lit" "Turnt" "Periodt" "Brand" "Normalize" "Gucci" etc. all show a lack of a decent vocabulary and education to me. Its like people just mimic one another. I can think of far more creative ways to express myself. It just seems like mental laziness to me.

I've had people call me a "Karen" on Social Media. I just laugh and say "Is that the best you've got?" and then really show them how to insult. lol

The actual phrase/term doesn't bother me as much as the way people overuse it and revert to it as a "go-to", without any thought. But I feel that way about a lot of buzz words. Phrases like "Woke" "Ok, Boomer" "Lit" "Turnt" "Periodt" "Brand" "Normalize" "Gucci" etc. all show a lack of a decent vocabulary and education to me. Its like people just mimic one another. I can think of far more creative ways to express myself. It just seems like mental laziness to me.

I've had people call me a "Karen" on Social Media. I just laugh and say "Is that the best you've got?" and then really show them how to insult. lol
Well put.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter