Who does happy hour for dinner?

bcla

On our rugged Eastern foothills.....
I'll just admit that I'm monumentally cheap. I love good food when it's cheap and it's hard for me to pass up a good happy hour special.

I guess one of my favorites was Ruth's Chris, which had something they called the "Sizzle, Swizzle, Swirl" menu. Not all locations had it though. I was working a short-term job in the Sacramento area and they had two locations in the area (Sacramento and Roseville), and both of them had it. They were often really crowded and there were sometimes arguments over a spot at the bar and especially the limited number of tables. Their rule was that one had to be seated to order food, but beverages could be ordered standing. The ones closer to home didn't (although one does now). One was actually $6 while the other was $7. What they had for the price was an insane bargain, like about a 5 oz filet mignon sandwich with fries or a 1/3 lb burger with fries. The menu has changed though. There used to be a lobster roll too. One time I went with my family, and it was OK as long as we had a table or my kid didn't sit right at the bar. It could even be one adult at the bar and the rest of the family standing. Now it seems to be a minimum $9, which isn't quite as good, but these are still full meals.

We have a place fairly close to home that has a M-F happy hour menu from 3-9 PM, so I can get there later in the day on my way home or just even meet up with my family there. They have a $5 burger that normally goes for $13 and some days they have additional daily happy hour specials. The printed menu says that it requires a minimum drink order, but when I got there I was told it wasn't required any more and they hadn't reprinted the menu yet. A few pizza places around here also have something similar, like 3-7 specials where it's maybe $5 for a personal size when it's maybe $12 for a ski

Anyone else do this kind of thing?

A friend and I meet for "dinner" at a local place that has amazing appetizers that are 50% off during Happy Hour 3-7 M-Thu
Its a great deal and an inexpensive way to indulge.

We don't, but we are odd. We only eat out a few times a year unless we are on vacation. Of course, we have to drive an hour to get to a decent place to eat. The only sit-down restaurants in our town are Buffalo Wild Wings (it isn't good at all), Bob Evans, and a family-owned Italian place that isn't too bad.

About once a month I meet a group of friends for a happy hour dinner. We get a bunch of apps to share and some cocktails. It usually runs us about $20 each which includes a very generous tip.

I joke with dh that we'll be frequenting costco in the fall for free sample dinner when dd is off at college and we're paying tuition bills.

Best happy hour I've ever experienced is Santiago's Bodega - they're in Key West and Orlando. I've only been to the KW one - they had huge glasses of wonderful sangria (really light - not overly sweet) on special for $3 and tapas choices so sublime, we immediately said it's a must-stop every trip from now on. Their food is incredible.

I do it pretty often, even though I hate eating early. It helps friends with budgeting and those that eat dinner at 6:00. I'm more of an appetizer eater anyway, so I'll do what works to accommodate my friends.

Best happy hour I've ever experienced is Santiago's Bodega - they're in Key West and Orlando. I've only been to the KW one - they had huge glasses of wonderful sangria (really light - not overly sweet) on special for $3 and tapas choices so sublime, we immediately said it's a must-stop every trip from now on. Their food is incredible.
We did that too! Couldn't finish our pitcher of sangria there so they gave us to go cups. Happy Hour at the Boathouse is also a great deal. The Curry Mansion has a happy hour for guests every night from 5 to 7. Free beer, wine and pour your own top shelf spirits. Light snacks only so sometimes we'll order Cuban sandwich delivery.

Choup Chop at RPR Universal has a good happy hour and we'll often make dinner out of appetizers at the bar.

We did that too! Couldn't finish our pitcher of sangria there so they gave us to go cups. Happy Hour at the Boathouse is also a great deal. The Curry Mansion has a happy hour for guests every night from 5 to 7. Free beer, wine and pour your own top shelf spirits. Light snacks only so sometimes we'll order Cuban sandwich delivery.

Choup Chop at RPR Universal has a good happy hour and we'll often make dinner out of appetizers at the bar.

Key West is nirvana for happy hour fans. The whole town celebrates happy hours and sunsets :lovestruc

Good to know about RPR - will have to file that one away for our next trip.

I do it pretty often, even though I hate eating early. It helps friends with budgeting and those that eat dinner at 6:00. I'm more of an appetizer eater anyway, so I'll do what works to accommodate my friends.

That's why I like a place with a 3-9 happy hour. This is the menu, and the beverage is optional:

o.jpg

I guess one of my more disappointing happy hours was the time I took a day off of work to get happy hour oysters with my wife at the Hog Island Oyster Company at the Ferry Building in San Francisco. They were $1 each and were actually good, but possibly the tiniest Pacific oysters I've ever seen sold. They called them their Hog Island Sweetwater and they were farmed at their own plots in Tomales Bay. I've bought them before and there much larger. It seemed like they were saving these micro-oysters just for happy hour. We had to wait something like 25 minutes for seats, and while we were eating they had run out of their own and were starting to shuck other oysters brought in from Washington - for the same price. They had 5 times more meat, so it seemed a little unfair.

Here's a suggesting from the Big Island. I don't actually drink much of their beer, but it's an entertaining commercial.

Dear Mainlanders,

Aloha.
My bruddah and I wanted to talk about your happy hour custom.
How come just one hour? Maybe you make one hour "sad hour" and the other 23 happy.
Now we all got work, but is all that spreadsheet time worth more than this time?
We know when you should do that spreadsheet. Sad hour.

Key West is nirvana for happy hour fans. The whole town celebrates happy hours and sunsets :lovestruc

Good to know about RPR - will have to file that one away for our next trip.
We also get the Bar Card. $29 gets you 2 for 1 drinks at dozens of places for an entire year!

Happy hour for dinner? Sounds good to me! :thumbsup2

I find drink specials typically aren't that great. So you get a buck or two off a beer. Not that great a deal. However, getting a $12 burger for $5 or half-price appetizers is typically one heck of a deal.

In college, my sister & BIL ate at free happy hour buffets 4 nights a week.

Yes, all the time. I usually prefer appetizers to entrees, so happy hour is great for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter