White Rose, White Rose! A Yorkshireman in Orlando, Day Five (The Yachtsman)

PudseyChancer

Mouseketeer
For the one and only time this holiday, it was Mel who was awake first, the reason being that it was her 40th birthday. 40th or 35th. Definitely one of them. I think. Mel opened her present and displayed her cards that she'd brought with her round the room, whilst we nipped out for some breakfast, the room was cleaned and a further birthday card from Minnie Mouse appeared as if by magic.

Bizarrely, Mel's birthday wish was to listen to the Rugby League Challenge Cup Final, her team Hull FC were playing St Helens, a final that should really have featured the Leeds Rhinos, had they not been cheated at the semi-final stage. All her family were at Wembley watching the game, so as to make sure she wasn't left out of the humiliation that was undoubtedly to be bestowed upon them, we hooked up via Disney to the Beeb's online commentary. Unusually, Hull put up a decent effort for once and were mildly unfortunate to lose, but lose they did. Whilst Mel got ready for a trip to Downtown Disney, I was able to listen to the whole Leeds United match (2 all, robbed), watch a bit of telly, and still be stood around waiting. After doing the Disney shops we headed back to the Outlets to get a dressier shirt to comply with the dress code for the Yachtsman, that I had booked on the day we arrived.

We nipped back to Downtown Disney and had lunch at the Earl of Sandwich, I had never eaten here before but had heard good things, we ordered and sat down, when our number was called we headed back to the counter to collect only to find that somone else had nicked the order! We sat back down whilst they re-made our order, a wait shortened by the furore of two massive cockroaches that suddenly appeared in the seating section, causing a stampede for the exits, on the whole, whilst the sandwich itself was nice, the overall experience was poor.

We returned to ASSp to get changed into our 'posh' clothes, I presented Mel with her birthday badge to wear for the occasion, after ten minutes of objections Mel realised I wasn't going to back down and she put it on. We went via the bus to Epcot and enjoyed a stroll through 'England' whereupon a cast member invited Mel to watch the fireworks from the 'preferred' location as a birthday treat, we had to decline unfortunately, but in that one instance Mel suddenly decided that the birthday badge was a masterstroke.

We had a lovely stroll round to the Yacht Club taking in the Beach Club on the way and headed to the bar for some cocktails. A couple of strawberry daiquiri's later and Mel declined a further cocktail offer as she 'felt a little boozy', I soldiered on and had a champagne mojito, (to which the barman said "wow, you guys are really living la vida loco" which had us in stitches)! We wandered round to the Yachtsman and picked up our specially printed birthday menu's and were invited to our table.

We started with a couple of raspberry champagne's, on to the food, Mel had the foie gras starter, a filet mignon cooked rare, I had the caesar salad and the New York strip cooked medium, we shared some creamed spinach. For desert Mel had Grand Marnier strawberries and I had the creme brulee, both of which were delicious. The quality of the food was superb, I don't think I've enjoyed a meal as much in a long, long, time. Mel also got a birthday desert which was a chocolate/orange bombe with white chocolate decoration, it was really nice and a lovely touch. The atmosphere was very relaxed, though I was glad that I had dressed a little smarter than I would've normally, I have to say that we will definitely return next year and I would recommend that Yachtsman to anyone. The bill came to $200 including tip, which we were happy to pay given the quality of the meal and service, I would have no hesitation in recommending the Yachtsman to anyone.

We weren't hurried out and walked off the meal by strolling round to the boardwalk which looked absolutely fantastic lit up, we considered a drink but the bars seemed very loud and given the relaxing evening we'd had, we declined and decided to get a taxi back to ASSp. Again, I'll mention that we don't seem to have done too much today, but at the back of our minds was that we had already booked our return for 2009, for three weeks, so we didn't feel the need to rush around and this was an occasion where were able to do as much or as little as we wanted, it goes without saying that today was one of our favourite days of the holiday.

Tomorrow - Epcot

Well, a belated happy birthday to Mel.
We have never tried the Yachtsman before and on your recommendation we shall look into it in November when we arrive.
Bring on the next report!

1999 - Quality Inn, Kissimmee.(21 Nights)
2003 - Howard Johnson, Kissimmee (14 Nights) (Married during our stay)
2005 - Quality Inn, Kissimmee. (14 Nights)
2006 - Quality Inn, Kissimmee. (21 Nights)
2007 - Howard Johnson, Kissimmee. (21 Nights)
2008 - Howard Johnson, Kissimmee. (21 Nights)
2009 - Howard Johnson, (7 Nights), Disney ASMu (21 Nights) (28 Nights total)

glad that Mel had such a fab birthday :thumbsup2 I quite fancy Yachtsmans- it gets such good reviews.

It sounds like a very relaxing day for Mel. A belated....:bday:

I can't wait until we try the Yachtsmen Steakhouse, I have an ADR booked for our December trip. :goodvibes

Great report - sounds like a fab way to spend a 40th birthday! We have an ADR at the Yachtsman in 3 weeks and 3 days time - can't wait!! :banana:

What a great way to spend a special birthday. it is such a relaxing place around the epcot resorts.

susan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter